PC case fans positioning??

Dz0nii

My pc case doesn't have mesh on the front or even any vents near the front of the case. It only has two places for fans at the top and one place at the rear. All of them are 120mm. What would be the best airflow configuration for that particular instance? Which ones should be intake and which should be exhaust?

I have ryzen 5 5600 with stock cooler that gets pretty hot so any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance :)

Pictures would help... or time to break out the MS Paint skills

Also, I wonder if your PSU can serve as an exhaust too.

The rule of thumb is try have more intake than exhaust. You can also install aftermarket filter for intake fans but might not worth the trouble.

I assume the PSU is at the bottom and can be used as an exhaust.

image.png.166118649323e6fee2648d936acadaea.png

I just bought three deepcool fans that I will position the same way as they are on the picture. Also, my PSU fan is actually looking downwards because there is a filter that I suppose is there for that reason.

Anyway, thank you so much for helping me out 

1 hour ago, Dz0nii said:

I just bought three deepcool fans that I will position the same way as they are on the picture. Also, my PSU fan is actually looking downwards because there is a filter that I suppose is there for that reason.

well i dunno if i agree with this picture... you defo need front intakes as well...

also is your psu on top or bottom?  i suppose bottom,  but its not quite clear to me as you said looking downwards...

this is my pc, no front mesh , but a side "mesh" (actually its honeycomb) 

20220319_040003.thumb.jpg.42bdc6c985c0e8dad377a942959907d2.jpg

temps are actually quite low... actually it's rather cold when not under load... (otherwise like 50-70c)

also note my psu is on top actually acting as a second exhaust   

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Dz0nii said:

If your PSU is on the case floor, it is drawing air from below the case and exhausting it out the rear.

Few cases do not have front intake fans. What is your case?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

9 hours ago, brob said:

If your PSU is on the case floor, it is drawing air from below the case and exhausting it out the rear.

Few cases do not have front intake fans. What is your case?

My case is MS Fighter S300.

And yes, my PSU draws air from below, that is what I wanted to say 😄

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

well i dunno if i agree with this picture... you defo need front intakes as well...

also is your psu on top or bottom?  i suppose bottom,  but its not quite clear to me as you said looking downwards...

this is my pc, no front mesh , but a side "mesh" (actually its honeycomb) 

20220319_040003.thumb.jpg.42bdc6c985c0e8dad377a942959907d2.jpg

temps are actually quite low... actually it's rather cold when not under load... (otherwise like 50-70c)

also note my psu is on top actually acting as a second exhaust   

My case doesn't even have any side mesh and that is making it problematic.

While playing warzone for example my ryzen 5 5600 goes up to 83c and the case becomes hot like an oven (I am currently using stock cooler)

3 minutes ago, Dz0nii said:

My case is MS Fighter S300.

And yes, my PSU draws air from below, that is what I wanted to say 😄

The only reason I don't really want to change the case is because I just bought it a couple of days ago 😅

no offense but this seems like one of the worst case designs ever, also isnt it already like in the picture posted,  minus the psu? 

in the picture the psu at least helps slightly with air circulation,  in your case its completely isolated and cant help with air circulation at all. i don't really see a way to configure this differently,  you bought a hotbox and that's what you got. theoretically higher fan speeds should help, but that can only do so much.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

no offense but this seems like one of the worst case designs ever, also isnt it already like in the picture posted,  minus the psu? 

in the picture the psu at least helps slightly with air circulation,  in your case its completely isolated and cant help with air circulation at all. i don't really see a way to configure this differently,  you bought a hotbox and that's what you got. theoretically higher fan speeds should help, but that can only do so much.

Okay, I will try with fans and if that doesn't help... well I guess I'll have to change the case

Thanks for the help guys!

If you have a discreet GPU you should set the two top fans as exhaust. Otherwise there will be no clear airflow path as the GPU is designed to exhaust upward.

You might try having the rear as exhaust as well. Not sure how well that will work, but it's worth a try. The alternative is making it an intake. Easy enough to experiment with that fan.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.