Help me pick my TV, i'm stuck!

Garri3105

I don't know if this is the right topic to talk about this so I am sorry if i messed up. I'm looking to buy a new TV and im stuck with 2 choices. 

1. LG 55qned863qa 55"

2. LG 65nano883pb 65"

I'm stuck between picking size or quality. I believe the qned tech is better looking for sure, but having a 65" TV is also a nice thing. I know there is a 65" qned LG TV but that is too expensive for me.

If anyone has an idea what could be a better option please write on the topic.

PS. both 65" and 55" would fit nicely in the living room where i'm planning to put them

46 minutes ago, Garri3105 said:

I don't know if this is the right topic to talk about this so I am sorry if i messed up. I'm looking to buy a new TV and im stuck with 2 choices. 

1. LG 55qned863qa 55"

2. LG 65nano883pb 65"

I'm stuck between picking size or quality. I believe the qned tech is better looking for sure, but having a 65" TV is also a nice thing. I know there is a 65" qned LG TV but that is too expensive for me.

If anyone has an idea what could be a better option please write on the topic.

PS. both 65" and 55" would fit nicely in the living room where i'm planning to put them

My general rule is to prioritize quality, unless size is particularly important. And the gap here is small enough that I'd prefer the 55-inch set unless I was sitting particularly far away.

I like LG's smart TV interface, but I would also consider the best 55-inch Samsung TV you can afford, and there are quality options from Hisense as well. Do you have a general budget?

12 minutes ago, Commodus said:

My general rule is to prioritize quality, unless size is particularly important. And the gap here is small enough that I'd prefer the 55-inch set unless I was sitting particularly far away.

I like LG's smart TV interface, but I would also consider the best 55-inch Samsung TV you can afford, and there are quality options from Hisense as well. Do you have a general budget?

Well my budget is around 1000euro, but because im from Serbia we get tech a bit more expensive than in EU or USA. I have seen the samsung and hisense alternatives but my personal preferance is LG (i think the 55" qned is a good TV). I am not sitting very far away and mine 43" TV is just a bit too small right now.

Thanks for the response!

41 minutes ago, Garri3105 said:

Well my budget is around 1000euro, but because im from Serbia we get tech a bit more expensive than in EU or USA. I have seen the samsung and hisense alternatives but my personal preferance is LG (i think the 55" qned is a good TV). I am not sitting very far away and mine 43" TV is just a bit too small right now.

Thanks for the response!

Welcome! Yeah, that 55-inch LG will likely be more than good enough if 43 inches is only slightly too small. I have a 55-inch LG C7 that still feels like the right size five years later; I suspect I'll get another few years out of it.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

Welcome! Yeah, that 55-inch LG will likely be more than good enough if 43 inches is only slightly too small. I have a 55-inch LG C7 that still feels like the right size five years later; I suspect I'll get another few years out of it.

Thank you for helpful replies.

Wish you the best of luck

Any reason you MUST go LG? Their OLEDs are fine but their LCDs aren't that great. 

RTINGs has a good ratings system of TVs. 
TCL and Hisense have good bang/$ options if you're on a budget and want a decent LCD based TV. 

Also avoid samsung unless you're looking at their high end TVs (think QN85, QN90 and QN95). Their midrange is a rip off. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

On 12/2/2022 at 12:05 AM, cmndr said:

Any reason you MUST go LG? Their OLEDs are fine but their LCDs aren't that great. 

RTINGs has a good ratings system of TVs. 
TCL and Hisense have good bang/$ options if you're on a budget and want a decent LCD based TV. 

Also avoid samsung unless you're looking at their high end TVs (think QN85, QN90 and QN95). Their midrange is a rip off. 

sorry for a late response, there is a very small offer from other TV brands than LG and the pricing for other brands is also weird. 

Also do you think qned tech is not good? I am no expert but from the research i did it seems good to me.

thanks

34 minutes ago, Garri3105 said:

sorry for a late response, there is a very small offer from other TV brands than LG and the pricing for other brands is also weird. 

Also do you think qned tech is not good? I am no expert but from the research i did it seems good to me.

thanks

QNED is fine; it's not the absolute best, but you probably won't complain for the money. The truly stellar stuff (OLED, high-end LCD) frequently costs considerably more. And most likely, you're coming from a TV that's at least a few years old; it's still going to represent an image quality upgrade on top of the size and connected features.

QNED is just LG’s name for quantum led, same as all the other brands using those panels, and they range from mid-budget to high-end. At this point I would either buy a qled panel (for bright rooms) or oled panel (for less bright rooms) but oled lives pretty strictly at the mid-high-end at a minimum, where you can get good qled panels at pretty reasonable prices (Hisense U7H/U8H, TCL 5/6 series, for around $5-600 usd). 

4 hours ago, Garri3105 said:

thanks

The stuff you're looking at, assuming away some amazing sale, generally costs more than competitor's (Hisense, TCL) choices OR at a similar price point requires you to sacrifice image quality. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

For what it's worth, I'm using a QLED/QNED TV. It's fine. It's also cost over $1000 for 55" (I wanted to go a hair overkill on image quality on the assumption I'd use it for 10 years).

On 12/7/2022 at 2:37 PM, Commodus said:

QNED is fine; it's not the absolute best, but you probably won't complain for the money. The truly stellar stuff (OLED, high-end LCD) frequently costs considerably more. And most likely, you're coming from a TV that's at least a few years old; it's still going to represent an image quality upgrade on top of the size and connected features.

I'm coming from a TV that we got in 2010 :). The main problem here is the fact that LG has a "monopoly" of sorts. It's the most popular option here because the competitors cost same or more. Any tech in Serbia is generally more expensive, iphone 14 pro costs 1800$ USD. So you can only imagine how much does a high end OLED TV cost.

Thanks for the reply 🙂

On 12/7/2022 at 6:13 PM, cmndr said:

The stuff you're looking at, assuming away some amazing sale, generally costs more than competitor's (Hisense, TCL) choices OR at a similar price point requires you to sacrifice image quality. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

For what it's worth, I'm using a QLED/QNED TV. It's fine. It's also cost over $1000 for 55" (I wanted to go a hair overkill on image quality on the assumption I'd use it for 10 years).

Sale or not the price is roughly the same with LG being $100-ish more. It's just the market I have here.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Garri3105 said:

I'm coming from a TV that we got in 2010 :). The main problem here is the fact that LG has a "monopoly" of sorts. It's the most popular option here because the competitors cost same or more. Any tech in Serbia is generally more expensive, iphone 14 pro costs 1800$ USD. So you can only imagine how much does a high end OLED TV cost.

Thanks for the reply 🙂

Oh, you're going to notice a big difference in that case. A lot has changed in 12 years! Image quality, 4K, smart TV functionality like apps...

Also, my sympathies on the pricing. As a Canadian I'm familiar with tech sometimes costing a bit more, but that's a huge premium. Hopefully prices get better over time.

9 hours ago, Garri3105 said:

Thanks for the reply 🙂

If you have limited options, you make due with what you have. My rule of thumb would be to check RTING's entire suggested list and to see what makes sense in terms of pricing at a given size/quality point. 

12 hours ago, cmndr said:

If you have limited options, you make due with what you have. My rule of thumb would be to check RTING's entire suggested list and to see what makes sense in terms of pricing at a given size/quality point. 

Yep, i checked RTING and this has the best bang/buck ration for my circumstances.