Fitting RTX 4090 Case

Mighti
Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,
7 minutes ago, Mighti said:

I've seen a video from Linus now. He showed the Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower. It's like 110 Euro. Do you think that it will fit? 🙂

What 4090 are you getting? They are different lengths and the 4000D Airflow will only fit certain lengths so, in order to know if the case will work we need to know what 4090 you want or you will need to pick one that will fit that case specifically. Again you can use PCPartpicker to filter which 4090s will work in that specific case....

Hello,

I've been looking around for a case for a 4090. I've searched around and found several cases. But some of them are 200 Euro and more. 

Do u know some cheap cases for a 4090. It should also fit a Dark Rock 4 Pro, an normal sice PSU and a ATX MB. 

I'm starting to get confused with all the clearence issues with this card and just need a normal case. No RGB is needes a glass side windows would be nice. 🙂

Edit.: I thought about the Fractal Design Meshify C, do you think it is too small?

Thank you 🙂

What model of 4090 do you have? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando_ said:

What model of 4090 do you have? 

I don't have bought one now. First of all I want to get all parts, check prices and if I find a good deal on one I'll take it. 🙂

Just now, Mighti said:

I don't have bought one now. First of all I want to get all parts, check prices and if I find a good deal on one I'll take it. 🙂

Well. They're different sizes, so decide on a 4090 you want, put that into a PCPartPicker list and then look at cases, should auto-filter to ones where it should fit. Decide on a case you want, double check the manufacturer page to confirm the card will fit, and if so then buy it. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

Well. They're different sizes, so decide on a 4090 you want, put that into a PCPartPicker list and then look at cases, should auto-filter to ones where it should fit. Decide on a case you want, double check the manufacturer page to confirm the card will fit, and if so then buy it. 

So there is no case that would fit every 4090? 😕 
I just don't want to worry about the size of everything. Just one simple case with good airflow and I would be happy 🙂

Just now, Mighti said:

I just don't want to worry about the size of everything. Just one simple case with good airflow and I would be happy 🙂

Then just get a full tower. The cheapest ones are like $140ish USD I believe, I use a 750D Airflow that was around that. If you want a modern case, you're looking at that $200 price point you mentioned not liking. I would recommend just getting a case that does what you want even if it's expensive, as cases will last through practically infinite rebuilds, worth getting a good one.

Main PC 

10 minutes ago, Mighti said:

The Phanteks P500A is a Mid ATX that should fit any of the 4090s as well as a DRP4 with included RGB fans and plenty of room for whatever you wanna put in it for around $150 to $180. Even then really any Full ATX case should fit them as well, it's just a matter of price, $150 to $200 is going to be the average for a Full ATX case. IMO if you're getting a 4090 a $200ish case shouldn't be that big of a deal. And again as others have suggested putting your build into PCPartpicker is going to be the best way to find compatible parts if you don't already have the knowledge of what will work. It literally does it all for you and will even compare prices.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

6 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Then just get a full tower. The cheapest ones are like $140ish USD I believe, I use a 750D Airflow that was around that. If you want a modern case, you're looking at that $200 price point you mentioned not liking. I would recommend just getting a case that does what you want even if it's expensive, as cases will last through practically infinite rebuilds, worth getting a good one.

This is largely what pushed me to the Define 7 XL. It was definitely at/above that $200 price point, though.

Really, I feel like if you're buying a 4090, a pricier case shouldn't be a major concern.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

The Phanteks P500A is a Mid ATX that should fit any of the 4090s as well as a DRP4 with included RGB fans and plenty of room for whatever you wanna put in it for around $150 to $180. Even then really any Full ATX case should fit them as well, it's just a matter of price, $150 to $200 is going to be the average for a Full ATX case. IMO if you're getting a 4090 a $200ish case shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I've seen a video from Linus now. He showed the Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower. It's like 110 Euro. Do you think that it will fit? 🙂

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This is largely what pushed me to the Define 7 XL. It was definitely at/above that $200 price point, though.

Really, I feel like if you're buying a 4090, a pricier case shouldn't be a major concern.

You are right, but if there's a cheaper way, why don't go for it? 🙂

7 minutes ago, Mighti said:

What 4090 are you getting? They are different lengths and the 4000D Airflow will only fit certain lengths so, in order to know if the case will work we need to know what 4090 you want or you will need to pick one that will fit that case specifically. Again you can use PCPartpicker to filter which 4090s will work in that specific case....

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

What 4090 are you getting? They are different lengths and the 4000D Airflow will only fit certain lengths so, in order to know if the case will work we need to know what 4090 you want or you will need to pick on that will fit that case specifically. Again you can use PCPartpicker to filter which 4090s will work in that specific case....

Ok 🙂
so as far as I can see there is like no case around for under 200 Euro that will fit.. let's say the bigges 4090. 

But anyway, I'll try my luck somewhere else. Thank you. 🙂

6 minutes ago, Mighti said:

You are right, but if there's a cheaper way, why don't go for it? 🙂

I'm with you on that one, but I also believe that if you can only fit a GPU in your case by either getting a bigger case or extensively modifying your current case, why not just buy the bigger case?

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

2 minutes ago, Mighti said:

Ok 🙂
so as far as I can see there is like no case around for under 200 Euro that will fit.. let's say the bigges 4090. 

But anyway, I'll try my luck somewhere else. Thank you. 🙂

You don't need to try your luck elsewhere, literally just put your parts that you want into a build list on PCPartpicker.com and it will list everything compatible with eachother. It's very easy and simple to do. Otherwise you just simply check the length on the card to what the case listing shows as it's compatible GPU length. It's very hard to recommend cases as a big thing with them is aesthetics, so just finding a generic case that fits every 4090 should be fairly simple whose to say if you'll even like it? It's easier for you to use PCPartpicker and have a list of all the cases that will work with your parts and you get to pick the one you want. 

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm with you on that one, but I also believe that if you can only fit a GPU in your case by either getting a bigger case or extensively modifying your current case, why not just buy the bigger case?

I don't have a case to modify right now. My actual case barely fits a gtx 1070. I just wanted to know a "cheap" case that will fit bigger cards. Just some recommandations. As I said, if I just can save money, why not do it.. If the only way I can fit one is to buy a 200 Euro + case, ok I'll do it. I just thought that there are some cheaper options. 🙂

You don't need to try your luck elsewhere, literally just put your parts that you want into a build list on PCPartpicker.com and it will list everything compatible with eachother. It's very easy and simple to do.

Well I  don't know if it accounts the few inches that the cables need extra space.  

Just now, Mighti said:

I don't have a case to modify right now. My actual case barely fits a gtx 1070. I just wanted to know a "cheap" case that will fit bigger cards. Just some recommandations. As I said, if I just can save money, why not do it.. If the only way I can fit one is to buy a 200 Euro + case, ok I'll do it. I just thought that there are some cheaper options. 🙂

I built a testbench out of Lego once and ran my PC off of that. Your best option is probably looking for a used ATX full tower case, if you don't want to spend the money on a new one.

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I built a testbench out of Lego once and ran my PC off of that. Your best option is probably looking for a used ATX full tower case, if you don't want to spend the money on a new one.

Well I think I've found the solution myself. Just looked for the biggest 4090 and the case. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BBqhd9 

As far as I can see there shouldn't be a problem? 

2 minutes ago, Mighti said:

Well I think I've found the solution myself. Just looked for the biggest 4090 and the case. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BBqhd9 

Cool, there you go. Just remember to double check the case with the exact card you end up going for as another card could be incompatible with case due to other physical dimensions. It's always best to be safe than sorry.

Cool, there you go. Just remember to double check the case with the exact card you end up going for as another card could be incompatible with case due to other physical dimensions. It's always best to be safe than sorry.

Yes of corse. 🙂

I was just wondering, are the few inches for the cables already included or do I have to account the cable length extra for this? 🙂

5 minutes ago, Mighti said:

Yes of corse. 🙂

I was just wondering, are the few inches for the cables already included or do I have to account the cable length extra for this? 🙂

The cable length for the power cables to the GPU? It should be, you can always double check it by checking the width/depth of the case vs the width/depth of the card. 

8 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

The cable length for the power cables to the GPU? It should be, you can always double check it by checking the width/depth of the case vs the width/depth of the card. 

No, I worry about the clearance between the glass front and the Powe connectors of the GPU. Most of the time it's hard to find the max with of the case from the MB tray on. 

24 minutes ago, Mighti said:

No, I worry about the clearance between the glass front and the Powe connectors of the GPU. Most of the time it's hard to find the max with of the case from the MB tray on. 

That's what I asked... If PCPartpicker says it will fit, it should. It's not too hard to figure in the depth of the case minus the motherboard, motherboard standoffs are what only 6.4mm tall, motherboard on top is going to be an extra 6 or 7mm to the PCIE slot. So 14mm ish from standoff to PCIE slot where the GPU goes, give or take. Width of the card is 162.8mm for the Aorus 4090, plus on that Aorus card the power connector is receded into the heatsink so you actually have less cable sticking out the side. The width of the case is 230mm, usually the distance from side panel to motherboard tray is anywhere between 20 to 25mm. So if we subtract the motherboard thickness and distance between the tray and side panel from the overall width you get 191mm of clearance from PCIE slot to glass panel, with the card being 162.8mm wide that leaves 28.2mm(1.11 inches) of clearance or more due to the recessed power connector for the power cables to fit in. I honestly think it's plenty or room, if you're really worried you could also just buy a 90 degree power adapter. Honestly, I probably shouldn't have even done the math and just said it will fit but going off the rest of the post you'd probably ask for proof or an explanation, so I took the time to fully explain it. IMO I really think you're way overthinking this and making it more complicated than it needs to be. 

1 hour ago, Mighti said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bMk6Mp

Looks like plenty of room to me. You can look at completed builds on PCPP and compare the height of the FE to what ever card you end up getting.

@SpookyCitrusI found pictures 😉

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bMk6Mp

Looks like plenty of room to me. You can look at completed builds on PCPP and compare the height of the FE to what ever card you end up getting.

@SpookyCitrusI found pictures 😉

Or yes, you could do that. 😞 I completely spaced looking for completed builds on PCPartpicker lol...

• 2 weeks later...