3D Modeling and Some Gaming

This is my first build ever, so, of course, I want it to be the best possible without breaking the bank. My budget is about $1000, but obviously, the cheaper, the better. I'll mostly be using this for 2D/3D modeling in progams such as Autocad, SolidWorks, and Inventor. I also want to be able to game comfortably. This is what I have chosen so far.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3BsN0

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3BsN0/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3BsN0/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($269.99 @ Micro Center)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($71.95 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($124.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($68.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($94.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($145.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card  (Purchased For $0.00)

Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.90 @ Amazon)

Total: $981.79

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-02 01:21 EDT-0400)

I'm really debating between the 4770K and Xeon E3-1230, I don't know which would be better for me. I'm open for suggestions though. I chose that mobo because I might want to SLI later down the road, I just don't have enough money for a second graphics card. And I already have the 760, so there's no getting around that. Thanks in advance.

What kind of projects are you working on? What for and at what scale?

Are you planning to sli?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What kind of projects are you working on? What for and at what scale?

Are you planning to sli?

I'll be using Autocad for my new job coming up, I'm not sure to what extent for that. However, all the SolidWorks and Inventor work will be about mid-scale, I'm a Mechinical Engineer major with a minor in Design Graphics. As I said, I want to sli down the road, but not right now. 

Will you be overclocking? That might help save some money if you don't plan to.

Will you be overclocking? That might help save some money if you don't plan to.

I'm really not sure. I'd like the option to be able to if I do decide to though. But, if it will save me a decent amount of money, I could be dissuaded. 

I'll be using Autocad for my new job coming up, I'm not sure to what extent for that. However, all the SolidWorks and Inventor work will be about mid-scale, I'm a Mechinical Engineer major with a minor in Design Graphics. As I said, I want to sli down the road, but not right now. 

Any examples of what you might be working on?

I'm really not sure. I'd like the option to be able to if I do decide to though. But, if it will save me a decent amount of money, I could be dissuaded. 

It could be a decent $100+ or so cheaper considering you'd be going with a cheaper motherboard, cpu, and cooler. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Any examples of what you might be working on?

It could be a decent $100+ or so cheaper considering you'd be going with a cheaper motherboard, cpu, and cooler. 

I don't have any good examples right now because all I have done is little stuff, but it will get much heavier as time progresses. $100 cheaper sounds great. What did you have in mind?

2x the ram, room to SLI in the future, overclockable. I would wait for the NH-D15 to release and get that cooler though.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Micro Center)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($71.99 @ Mwave)

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G55 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($116.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)

Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $961.90

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-02 02:04 EDT-0400)

2x the ram, room to SLI in the future, overclockable. I would wait for the NH-D15 to release and get that cooler though.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Micro Center)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($71.99 @ Mwave)

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G55 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($116.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)

Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $961.90

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-02 02:04 EDT-0400)

If anything, I was thinking that I could get a cheaper PSU by getting a smaller one. Is 750 really necessary?

If anything, I was thinking that I could get a cheaper PSU by getting a smaller one. Is 750 really necessary?

I did 750w so you could SLI in the future. If you want you could go with a 500w now and upgrade later. You could run your setup if you wanted off 450w, and sli off 600w, but the fan would be on 100% all the time which would be annoying, trust me I know. I'm running my setup off 450w and a 80mm fan running all the time isn't the prettiest sound. I'll be replacing the fan in the PSU with a noctua fan soon. Anyway, do what you want :P

I did 750w so you could SLI in the future. If you want you could go with a 500w now and upgrade later. You could run your setup if you wanted off 450w, and sli off 600w, but the fan would be on 100% all the time which would be annoying, trust me I know. I'm running my setup off 450w and a 80mm fan running all the time isn't the prettiest sound. I'll be replacing the fan in the PSU with a noctua fan soon. Anyway, do what you want :P

That's also what I've heard when talking with other people, so I might just do that. 

I don't have any good examples right now because all I have done is little stuff, but it will get much heavier as time progresses. $100 cheaper sounds great. What did you have in mind?

I was thinking something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Cp0U

A decent 650w is enough. 

I was thinking something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Cp0U

A decent 650w is enough. 

What benefits does using a Xeon instead of an i7 bring? I haven't really found anything to answer that question. Maybe you could be helpful. I see you decided to forgo a cooler in that build, would one just be unnecessary? Also, I can't find much on PNY, what makes them a good choice?

What benefits does using a Xeon instead of an i7 bring? I haven't really found anything to answer that question. Maybe you could be helpful. I see you decided to forgo a cooler in that build, would one just be unnecessary? Also, I can't find much on PNY, what makes them a good choice?

The Xeon is tested to run 24/7 and is cheaper. The stock cooler is fine if you're not oc'ing.

The PNY ram was cheap. 

The Xeon is tested to run 24/7 and is cheaper. The stock cooler is fine if you're not oc'ing.

The PNY ram was cheap.

For about $20 I could get a 1240. As far as I can tell, the only difference is its base clock is .1 MHz higher. Would that be worth it or will the 1230 be sufficient? Also, is the Xeon alright for some gaming?

For about $20 I could get a 1240. As far as I can tell, the only difference is its base clock is .1 MHz higher. Would that be worth it or will the 1230 be sufficient? Also, is the Xeon alright for some gaming?

It's not worth the extra $20. 

The Xeon would perform similarly to the 4770 for gaming.