Is there any good wifi USB adapters out there?

Theminecraftaddict555

Hi, I'm looking for a wifi adapter that will suit my needs but been hearing that there are no good wifi USB adapters out there? Is that true? If not, anyone have any good recommendations? Budget for this is under 70 dollars. 

I'm simply just looking for a wifi adapter that will give me a good signal and speed for the things I'm doing, which is very occasionally playing MP games but mostly playing SP games (so online gaming isn't a huge factor here). I will obviously be browsing the web and be downloading huge files occasionally also. 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Are you looking for an AP adapter or and actual USB wifi chip that kets your desktop connect to wifi?

22 hours ago, Slim4236 said:

Are you looking for an AP adapter or and actual USB wifi chip that kets your desktop connect to wifi?

dk what you mean by an AP adapter nor do I know how you got to that conclusion from my title but I'm talking about the 2nd option.

22 hours ago, Slim4236 said:

<redacted by staff>

Or you can just list me the product and I can search for it? Don't know why I have to email you to get such a product. 

22 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Ideally you could get a PCIe wifi adapter

nah my GPU is blocking the PCI ports 😞 

3 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

nah my GPU is blocking the PCI ports 😞 

oof, have you thought about a riser cable? for example if you’re using an mATX board in an ATX case you could get a 1x riser cable and install a PCIe card in one of the bottom slots with a riser cable from the mobo, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Express-Extension-Gold-Plated-Connector/dp/B09K7Q8HDB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2T7291DQIWX36&keywords=pcie+x1+riser&qid=1669438438&sprefix=pcie+x1+rise%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-3

I just bought a pair for a faux ITX build in a Meshroom S, highly recommend

Otherwise, there are some decent USB wifi adapters out there, get one that uses usb 3.0

11 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

oof, have you thought about a riser cable? for example if you’re using an mATX board in an ATX case you could get a 1x riser cable and install a PCIe card in one of the bottom slots with a riser cable from the mobo, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Express-Extension-Gold-Plated-Connector/dp/B09K7Q8HDB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2T7291DQIWX36&keywords=pcie+x1+riser&qid=1669438438&sprefix=pcie+x1+rise%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-3

I just bought a pair for a faux ITX build in a Meshroom S, highly recommend

Otherwise, there are some decent USB wifi adapters out there, get one that uses usb 3.0

Might look into that but right now just interested in a decent usb wifi adapter

If you have any recommendations I will gladly accept them

3 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

If you have any recommendations I will gladly accept them

https://www.staples.com/tp-link-archer-t4u-ac1300-wireless-dual-band-usb-adapter-black/

NY Times liked this one in a review as a decent one that’s not too expensive. I have a TP-Link PCIe adapter in one of my case-swapped builds and it’s quite good, it’s a reliable brand.

2 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

https://www.staples.com/tp-link-archer-t4u-ac1300-wireless-dual-band-usb-adapter-black/

NY Times liked this one in a review as a decent one that’s not too expensive. I have a TP-Link PCIe adapter in one of my case-swapped builds and it’s quite good, it’s a reliable brand.

I've been hearing about this one..Will take a look thanks!

@Theminecraftaddict555

If you absolutely must use a USB WiFi adapter, my recommendation would be to get one that you can physically move so you can orient to get the best signal. Most USB "nubs" are fixed based on the location/orientation of the USB port, which might not be optimal for wireless reception. At least with a USB extension cable and antennae you can manipulate, you have a higher chance of getting better reception.

Here is one from TP-Link. I have never used it myself but it has good reviews and fits your budget.

Most USB wifi adapters ive used work better than internal cards. Wifi PCI cards suck in my experience.

A USB wifi dongle on a 12" USB cable can be orientated better than a card. 

17 hours ago, wseaton said:

Most USB wifi adapters ive used work better than internal cards. Wifi PCI cards suck in my experience.

A USB wifi dongle on a 12" USB cable can be orientated better than a card. 

If you've only used ones where the antennas are stuck to the back of the PC then yeah, don't do that.  Its not the adapters fault, its poor antenna positioning.

Always use adapters with the antenna on a pigtail so you can move it away from the back of the PC, then it will perform vastly superior to USB.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7