LTT Wallet

yolosnail

Since I don't fancy posting my response in a cesspool, sorry the YouTube comment section, I thought I'd give my response here.

I've been through quite a few wallets in the last few years, and here are my preferences.

Material:

Genuine leather, I've yet to try a faux leather/alternative material wallet that is as comfortable in the pocket as a genuine leather one. I've found every synthetic material I've tried kept its original shape whereas genuine leather wallets soften. I'm not against using an alternative material, but it either has to soften with use, or be designed in such a way that there are no harsh edges.

Size:

I prefer square-ish wallet, my current wallet is 11x9cm which I think is perfect. As I'm in the UK, our bank notes do vary in size, and a wallet of that size fits notes up to £20 (I've never tried a £50) with no issue. 

It has a flippy section on the left which holds an extra 2 cards on the front, and an ID card on the inside which I use for my driving license, something like that. It has 8 card slots, which are all filled, and some are even doubled up with less used cards.

One thing that I've found limited with men's wallets is the lack of coin space, they're always in a really awkward spot which makes it difficult to get the coins in and out.

While coins are becoming less necessary, I always keep small things like sim removal tools in there.

I also find having 2 bank note sections is essential, I use one for bank notes, and one for receipts/notes

In terms of sealing, I'd rather have it left open, with only a coin space sealed. 

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I made an account here just to comment on this topic! (Long Time Lerker/Wan show watcher)

Wallets are complex but 12an4c-1628773313.thumb.jpg.624bea177e0290d94c9ab63fc95f17b7.jpg

I like Linus, have only been given wallets and I had been given one with a zip from an ex-gf, it was from an exspensive brand called Diesel, the damn zip came loose in my pocket then got caught on my pocket material and my natural movement must of force it because it locked shut and broke the interlocking teeth's alignment over the fabric. I had to rip open my fave pair of jeans pocket to get it out and then break the METAL TEETH of the zipper to pay for my groceries, all of that! Infront of the evening food shopper rush.

since then I have a Montblanc Sartorial Business Card Holder, it was on a massive -70% sale and yea its a card holder but if you fold your cash right you can easily find them FFiGEdyVUAIC4il.jpg.99b881474387d3f35d5ac627e6c67f96.jpgw2500.thumb.jpeg.a9cc1961793c504f300fd5dc940664db.jpeg

Please Make one like this and I would Defo buy it!

1 hour ago, RavingDave said:

I made an account here just to comment on this topic! (Long Time Lerker/Wan show watcher)

Wallets are complex but

I like Linus, have only been given wallets and I had been given one with a zip from an ex-gf, it was from an exspensive brand called Diesel, the damn zip came loose in my pocket then got caught on my pocket material and my natural movement must of force it because it locked shut and broke the interlocking teeth's alignment over the fabric. I had to rip open my fave pair of jeans pocket to get it out and then break the METAL TEETH of the zipper to pay for my groceries, all of that! Infront of the evening food shopper rush.

Please Make one like this and I would Defo buy it!

I think a big part of why zippers were considered is for the full bifold. I love my current wallet that I got 8 years or so ago for Christmas but it's annoying when I have coins that if it's not snuggly in a backpack it can have the coins spill out. Since there are countries as well as areas within North America where you still really need cash and coin and a button snap might not be the best solution for keeping the coins from falling out. Though I do think that perhaps something like that where the opening is facing inside may be the best solution to avoid zippers.

2 hours ago, Ultraforce said:

I think a big part of why zippers were considered is for the full bifold. I love my current wallet that I got 8 years or so ago for Christmas but it's annoying when I have coins that if it's not snuggly in a backpack it can have the coins spill out. Since there are countries as well as areas within North America where you still really need cash and coin and a button snap might not be the best solution for keeping the coins from falling out. Though I do think that perhaps something like that where the opening is facing inside may be the best solution to avoid zippers.

oh yea I totally realise I'm being completely selfish when I say "No Zippers" and compact size wallet, but I stand by that view, because its not from a place of ignorance, I have been mugged atleast 9 times in my life and a small wallet forces you to distribute your essentials, so you dont loose everything all at once. 

you're right about different countries using more coins then western countries, like Japan is probably the biggest coin using country in the world (thats changing fast tho) and they all have coin purses purely for it and carry only a few notes.

I definitely think they need to come out with a range of wallets to suit different people. 

For reference, this is the exact wallet I have.

It was £4.99 and I picked it up like 2 years ago because my wallet was stolen and I needed a replacement straight away! Turns out it's actually way better than the wallet I had previously!

It's genuine leather and has 8 card slots but I've doubled some of them up because I have far too many cards (4 Debit, 2 Credit, Costco, Halfords Trade, 'Student' ID, Tesco Clubcard, Nectar card plus a few more that I only carry when I'm going to specific places)

The coin slot is also very useful, but like I said, it's a faff to get coins (or other things) in and out. But for the coin slot, I'd definitely prefer a zip over Velcro or a snap fastener because every time I've had a wallet with those they've failed and money has gone flying!

ImageHandler.ashx?id=85547&targetSize=1000ImageHandler.ashx?id=64606&targetSize=1000ImageHandler.ashx?id=64607&targetSize=1000ImageHandler.ashx?id=64608&targetSize=1000

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

5 hours ago, RavingDave said:

oh yea I totally realise I'm being completely selfish when I say "No Zippers" and compact size wallet

I agree 100% with this.  I refuse to buy wallets with zippers or those stupid metal clips.

5 hours ago, RavingDave said:

I have been mugged atleast 9 times in my life

Dude, you need to move someplace safer.

I really enjoy my Dash 3! I really like minimal/small wallets. I use mine in my front pocket.

https://dashwallets.com/collections/shop/products/bando-3-0-slim-utility-wallet

2 hours ago, Erioch said:

I agree 100% with this.  I refuse to buy wallets with zippers or those stupid metal clips.

metal clips like a money clip? Defintiely agree though they aren't ideal and have only seen them in ridge wallets and the ridge wallet ripoff that I bought.https://fthmb.tqn.com/m2NXExQujNGOyGGm6EIoweALd4A=/2004x1496/filters:fill(auto,1)/GettyImages-89024805-5a79ebc56bf069003791b246.jpg

Something I usually don't see on American wallets and that I really need is somewhere to put all my coins. In Europe we don't only use bills... 

Since, unfortunately, my comment was instantly removed by youtube (spam filter?), I would like to add it here:

Germany:
- Cash is still very important here(not every place accepts cards). Coins as well (2€ is a coin).
- Our IDs have the same shape as a credit card.
- It is unusual to see a 100€ note, and higher notes are unicorns (500€ was discontinued, 200€ is still produced, but no atm gives them out).
- frequently used cards: 1) VISA 2) Girocard 3) ID 4) health insurance 5) drivers license ( 6.1) public transport ticket 6.2) university ID )

market niche: normal wallets have slots for cards, but do not protect them in any way. If you carry your wallet in your back pocket, cards get bent over time. (also they scrape each other, making them look horrible). There are a few card focused "wallets", but they, at most, have space for a few notes and usually are too small for a 50€ note and have no space for any coins.

Personal opinion: I would love to see a wallet, preferably out of leather, that can handle at least 5x50€ notes, and at least 5x2€ coins with some kind of reinforced card compartment that actually protects the card! also at least 6 card slots. And I'm also against the zipper, it just adds an additional step to getting to your money while you stand in front of the cashier, with dozens of people waiting for you to pay. (German supermarkets are stressful business at the checkout)

I've had the same plain black leather trifold wallet for 20 years. (Not this exact one, but very similar.) The stitching along the top came apart years ago, one side is well-worn, the other side is shiny and smooth, and it doesn't open flat anymore, but it's the perfect size and shape. I don't like bifold wallets, the hard metal card holders, money clips, or those silicone card holders that stick to your phone. No zippers, no metal clips, no coin pockets.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I think this thread is a perfect example of why a wallet might not be the best product to produce for LTT. Seems like its somewhat regional based. As a Canadian all our bills are the same size and while we do still have coins I cant tell you the last time I have seen a mens wallet that held coins actually being used by anyone I know, and even when i was shopping for a wallet last year I cant recall even noticing any for sale. I wouldnt buy one that held coins personally. Where as it sounds like a lot of the Europeans have a use for the coin compartment and have differently sized bills. Kinda sounds like a logistic nightmare and a recipe for people complaining that the wallet doesn't perfectly suit their specific countries needs

7 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

I think this thread is a perfect example of why a wallet might not be the best product to produce for LTT. Seems like its somewhat regional based. As a Canadian all our bills are the same size and while we do still have coins I cant tell you the last time I have seen a mens wallet that held coins actually being used by anyone I know, and even when i was shopping for a wallet last year I cant recall even noticing any for sale. I wouldnt buy one that held coins personally. Where as it sounds like a lot of the Europeans have a use for the coin compartment and have differently sized bills. Kinda sounds like a logistic nightmare and a recipe for people complaining that the wallet doesn't perfectly suit their specific countries needs

At least for the euro, even though they are all differently sized, it isn't random shapes... the higher the denomination, the bigger the bill. (which, btw., is very appreciated by visually impaired people) But for all intents and purposes, if it fits a 100, it's enough. Canadian dollars: 152,4 × 69,85 mm; 100€: 147 × 77 mm. (50€ is 140 × 77 mm)

Coins are a pain though, agreed.

1 minute ago, RKBock said:

At least for the euro, even though they are all differently sized, it isn't random shapes... the higher the denomination, the bigger the bill. (which, btw., is very appreciated by visually impaired people) But for all intents and purposes, if it fits a 100, it's enough. Canadian dollars: 152,4 × 69,85 mm; 100€: 147 × 77 mm. (50€ is 140 × 77 mm)

Coins are a pain though, agreed.

So the 100€ is around the same size as a £50 note, which are rarely used in the UK (unless you're a drug dealer). 

My most used note is a £20, which is 139mm x 73mm, so that's all I would really need it to fit for me, I'd imagine most people in the UK would be the same.

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

On 11/27/2022 at 12:48 AM, Erioch said:

already done, thanks tho, I lived in SA for 10years and worked in construction, got promoted out of the country thankfully (SA is wonderful and fun but its got issues, I still check my rearview mirror for tailing cars following me into my home)

so what I takeaway from this is they cant make one that would suit everyone, so we've got to convince them to do multiple types, they're already thinking of doing a Passport Holder, that would suit the people that carry alot of cash, so why not a small Card Holder style wallet, that way all bases are covered

On 11/28/2022 at 1:16 AM, RKBock said:

Since, unfortunately, my comment was instantly removed by youtube (spam filter?), I would like to add it here:

Germany:
- Cash is still very important here(not every place accepts cards). Coins as well (2€ is a coin).
- Our IDs have the same shape as a credit card.
- It is unusual to see a 100€ note, and higher notes are unicorns (500€ was discontinued, 200€ is still produced, but no atm gives them out).
- frequently used cards: 1) VISA 2) Girocard 3) ID 4) health insurance 5) drivers license ( 6.1) public transport ticket 6.2) university ID )

market niche: normal wallets have slots for cards, but do not protect them in any way. If you carry your wallet in your back pocket, cards get bent over time. (also they scrape each other, making them look horrible). There are a few card focused "wallets", but they, at most, have space for a few notes and usually are too small for a 50€ note and have no space for any coins.

Personal opinion: I would love to see a wallet, preferably out of leather, that can handle at least 5x50€ notes, and at least 5x2€ coins with some kind of reinforced card compartment that actually protects the card! also at least 6 card slots. And I'm also against the zipper, it just adds an additional step to getting to your money while you stand in front of the cashier, with dozens of people waiting for you to pay. (German supermarkets are stressful business at the checkout)

By talking about IDs you made me think about something else in France... Oir old id cards have a special format (but we are currently changing to credit card format to follow new European) and even if our new driving licenses have the credit card format, the older driving licenses (and boat licenses, both sea and river license) are a paper fold in 3 identical parts with the same size, bigger than a credit card.

Also in France our "carte vital" (the thing we use to not pay for medecines, hospitals,... (hello America 😜) is credit size format). 

Making a universal wallet is juat a pain I think... 

I think people in this thread have already mentioned this, but a coin pouch with a zipper is kind of a must have for me. Wallets I've used in the past had the perk of a "pouch" for your coins which could zip up to prevent them flying everywhere when you take your wallet out. I found it hard to get coins out since it's so slim (often have to either dump all the coins out or fish for them), but I do enjoy having the pouch to hold coins since there are countries which still readily use them. I also like the idea of RFID protection inside the wallets, just something to consider.

If LTT could make a wallet that could have a coin pouch with a zipper that can actually hold coins without me having to scrape inside a tiny little pouch I'd for sure buy it lol. It'd be nice if they made a "Limited Edition" themed wallet at some point too (if they even make one in the first place) with the Short Circuit and/or WAN hoodie colors and designs, I think that'd be pretty neat.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

Here is my submission to what I would love to have as a wallet. The main issue with wallets I think is that they get stretched at the spine... dont know how it would work with money when they are kept in flat, but they can be folded to fit either side. Silk inside to help slide.

RFID most definitely for the cards. The coin section could go on the inside or if on the outside... which would need to be able to not get stuck in you back pocket. The fold out coin section on the inside probably will be tricky or impossible. The only fail point that might happen is the press stud to close the coin section.

Edit: Where the cards go should be so hard that it cannot bend tto much, as I've had wallets bend my cards because I have it in my back pocket all the time. So I've kept them in a small thin metal card holder to stop from bending in my wallet.

Just an idea. 😃

LTT-Wallet-2023-24.png

Edited by Hornetman
After thought.

I have this one and it's been the best wallet ever 

https://www.cettire.com/ca/products/common-projects-logo-bifold-wallet-98455823/cmVhY3Rpb24vcHJvZHVjdDphRnZNREI2M0d4WHJwTG9KRA%3D%3D?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvZesuPXl-wIVIiatBh0crg8WEAQYAyABEgLfcvD_BwE

No zipper, no gimmicks, no extra bs thickness from inserts or coin zippers or flaps or ID crap. 

Just cards and bills and genuine leather feel and robustness 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

• 5 months later...

What do you guys think if the wallet was in the style of Ridge Wallets. I have had one and it is really compact and easy to use. The cards all all huddled up together and the money is held down by a strong strap. This makes the wallet really good looking and functional at the same time

1 hour ago, Ramez Ibrahim said:

What do you guys think if the wallet was in the style of Ridge Wallets. I have had one and it is really compact and easy to use. The cards all all huddled up together and the money is held down by a strong strap. This makes the wallet really good looking and functional at the same time

I can't stand those. 

Just give me a black leather trifold that won't fall apart in 3 years.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 11/27/2022 at 8:40 PM, Needfuldoer said:

I've had the same plain black leather trifold wallet for 20 years. (Not this exact one, but very similar.) The stitching along the top came apart years ago, one side is well-worn, the other side is shiny and smooth, and it doesn't open flat anymore, but it's the perfect size and shape. I don't like bifold wallets, the hard metal card holders, money clips, or those silicone card holders that stick to your phone. No zippers, no metal clips, no coin pockets.

I used to be a tri-fold guy for about 15 years, but when I needed a new one, I couldn't find one I liked at the time. I "settled" for a bi-fold and haven't looked back. Everything I liked about a tri-fold, my bi-fold can do (with minor compromises), but it's 33% thinner due to simple geometry. (And my hips thank me. I felt like George Costanza needing a wad of napkins to level me out. lol)

I do agree that zippers, pockets, and clips have no use to me either. I need cards and cash, with it quick to access, but generally secure.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV