Looking to upgrade a work PC however I have questions regarding memory clearance.

Napo5000
Go to solution Solved by NF-A12x25,
2 minutes ago, Napo5000 said:

I thought High quality hair coolers function just as well as AIOs?

some high quality air coolers function as well as some AIOs, but top-shelf AIOs are better than top-shelf air coolers. The Liquid Freezer II 420 has significantly more cooling headroom than the NH-D15. And the AK620 is as good as the D15 for less money.

Budget (including currency): ideally 1,300$, max 1,500$ (USD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 3d pointcloud's in autocad, and bluebeam. these workloads are mostly single core.

CPU: I9 13900k
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Mother board: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB  2 x 16 DDR5-6400 CL32

Components that will be carried over:
GPU: 1060 6g
Storage: 1tb M.2, 4tb Sata SSD
PSU: 1200 watt
Case: full tower

PC partpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yZgcFg

My concerns mostly involve the clearance of the memory and cooler.

20 minutes ago, Napo5000 said:

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

either get a Deepcool AK620 (they’re on sale) or wait for the d15 refresh to come out sometime in q1 2023. The d15 is a horrible buy currently. Otherwise the rest of your parts seem fine. Would be better to run a 420mm AIO (liquid freezer ii) for your CPU if it fits in ur case but that’s not 100% necessary, the 13900K just runs very very hot. You will definitely want a Thermalright 12th/13th gen CPU retention bracket for $10 on ebay.

29 minutes ago, Napo5000 said:

Components that will be carried over:
GPU: 1060 6g

Talk about strapping a V12 in a 2005 Civic hatchback. Makes me sad 😞

G.skill's TRadent Z15 ddr5 is almost the same size as DDR4. I used DDR4 Triden tZ on a lot of builds and never had any issue with the NHD15 (or the be quiet Dark rock pro 4 for that matter)

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

17 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

G.skill's TRadent Z15 ddr5 is almost the same size as DDR4. I used DDR4 Triden tZ on a lot of builds and never had any issue with the NHD15 (or the be quiet Dark rock pro 4 for that matter)

Yeah just doesn't need any more GPU power. 

And awesome I was kinda worried about running into ram clearance issues..

40 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

either get a Deepcool AK620 (they’re on sale) or wait for the d15 refresh to come out sometime in q1 2023. The d15 is a horrible buy currently. Otherwise the rest of your parts seem fine. Would be better to run a 420mm AIO (liquid freezer ii) for your CPU if it fits in ur case but that’s not 100% necessary, the 13900K just runs very very hot. You will definitely want a Thermalright 12th/13th gen CPU retention bracket for $10 on ebay.

19 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

the 1060 is not a bottleneck for the 12900K in CPU rendered tasks lol

2 minutes ago, Napo5000 said:

some high quality air coolers function as well as some AIOs, but top-shelf AIOs are better than top-shelf air coolers. The Liquid Freezer II 420 has significantly more cooling headroom than the NH-D15. And the AK620 is as good as the D15 for less money.

Just now, NF-A12x25 said:

some high quality air coolers function as well as some AIOs, but top-shelf AIOs are better than top-shelf air coolers. The Liquid Freezer II 420 has significantly more cooling headroom than the NH-D15. And the AK620 is as good as the D15 for less money

Okay gotcha, the case is from 2016 and I don't remember the name or anything so I wanted to play it safe with getting a air cooler. I'll do some more research though.

If I did get the Liquid Freezer II 420 would I need the bracket you mentioned before?

If you don't need the threads, why the 13900k over the 13700k?

1 minute ago, Napo5000 said:

If I did get the Liquid Freezer II 420 would I need the bracket you mentioned before?

yes, the bracket has nothing to do with what cooler you use- Intel’s ILM (CPU bracket) has a flaw where it physically bends the CPU, meaning contact with the cooler coldplate is bad. 

It was made for 12th gen, but 13th gen has the same problem and since it’s the same socket the 12th gen brackets work with 13th gen CPUs on both 600 and 700 series motherboards.

1 minute ago, ninjitsu said:

I would assume it’s because the 13900K has slightly higher single-thread and more cache

Just now, NF-A12x25 said:

yes, the bracket has nothing to do with what cooler you use- Intel’s ILM (CPU bracket) has a flaw where it physically bends the CPU, meaning contact with the cooler coldplate is bad. 

It was made for 12th gen, but 13th gen has the same problem and since it’s the same socket the 12th gen brackets work with 13th gen CPUs on both 600 and 700 series motherboards.

oh awesome thank you!

2 minutes ago, ninjitsu said:

From what I was seeing the I9 has the highest single core performance.

1 minute ago, Napo5000 said:

oh awesome thank you!

np! they can be hard to find, so here’s the ebay link to the cheapest one that ships from the US: https://www.ebay.com/itm/385148851289

I have no connection to the listing, it’s just where I got mine for my secondary build with a 12400 (primary build with a 12700KF has a thermal grizzly one, the Thermalright one is just better due to it being much easier to install)