Hp Motherboard into ATX Standard Case

JayCreate

Hello to anyone reading this, I just had an inquiry on my mind for quite some time that I want answered. 
     As of not long ago, in order to save some money, I bought a used prebuilt HP (specifically the HP ProDesk 600 G4 MT) alongside a GPU for entry level rendering and more 3D modeling as prior, 3D modeling on my laptop for over one a half year was just not cutting it. Anyway, I wanted to know if the motherboard within the computer would be compatible with an ATX standard case, and if there will be any modification needed VIA buying an addon for said case. I thought about doing it because I wanted to futureproof my setup a little further. Instead of having to buy a new case along the road, I can buy it now and use it, while buying more replacement parts down the road. It would also help because I can install a ATX standard PSU, both parts, at least based on what people have told me, not needing nearly as much replacement over the years. Can anyone provide further info on this topic? Thanks for reading!

I am not sure if that prebuilt has a standard atx standoff layout, but you could technically buy standoffs and drill holes in the case to add standoffs to where you need them in order to DIY mount it to the case if it is not.

Edited by TylerD321
made it sound less stupid

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

2 minutes ago, johnt said:

Drill holes in what???

The case not the motherboard!!

Main Gaming Machine

More than likely, HP prebuilt mobos are not compatible with standard DIY cases. This is the photo I found of the motherboard, which does not look standard for several reasons:

image.png.8471ab7384eeebcf436a2f83f9f7a41f.png

2 minutes ago, johnt said:

More than likely, HP prebuilt mobos are not compatible with standard DIY cases. This is the photo I found of the motherboard, which does not look standard for several reasons:

would it be possible to gst some sort of "adapter" for the case? maybe an CAD file? I understand it's not ATX standard, just wanted an idea for a work around. thanks for everyone who responded so far, and in the future

5 minutes ago, johnt said:

It actually looks like it might be standard ATX standoffs. I looked at a video for an HP EliteDesk and those are capable to be moved to a standard case. Motherboard looks near identical. obviously front IO ports will be a hassle to get to, but I don't think it would be too difficult to make work if you sort out the power button.

Main Gaming Machine

oh just curious question I forgot to ask, what standard is the motherboard anyway? 

Just now, JayCreate said:

oh just curious question I forgot to ask, what standard is the motherboard anyway? 

Also wouldn't it in theory fit as long as the case doesn't touch the motherboard (I don't want to kill all my pc parts lol)

17 minutes ago, JayCreate said:

Also wouldn't it in theory fit as long as the case doesn't touch the motherboard (I don't want to kill all my pc parts lol)

Correct. The case is grounded so it will essentially not let your pc turn on if there is a direct metal contact. Take out your mobo and try it in an Atx case and see what happens. Screw down all holes that align and remove all other standoffs that are not in use beneath the mobo. It won’t hurt anything. Definitely the front IO might be a lost cause here but if you are willing to live with that then go for it!

17 minutes ago, johnt said:

Correct. The case is grounded so it will essentially not let your pc turn on if there is a direct metal contact. Take out your mobo and try it in an Atx case and see what happens. Screw down all holes that align and remove all other standoffs that are not in use beneath the mobo. It won’t hurt anything. Definitely the front IO might be a lost cause here but if you are willing to live with that then go for it!

thanks! IO has never been much of a problem for me anyway. Hopefully I can try soon, HP PSUs can be kind of a pain sometimes in terms of convivence and price. if I get a standard one, I can upgrade my GPU with no problem 

27 minutes ago, JayCreate said:

thanks! IO has never been much of a problem for me anyway. Hopefully I can try soon, HP PSUs can be kind of a pain sometimes in terms of convivence and price. if I get a standard one, I can upgrade my GPU with no problem 

I don’t see any standard ports for a diy psu on that board. This might be easier if you can send a picture of your mobo so we can be sure. You might be stuck with an hp psu. it’s tough to reuse these prebuilt components in diy builds.

1 minute ago, johnt said:

I don’t see any standard ports for a diy psu on that board. This might be easier if you can send a picture of your mobo so we can be sure. You might be stuck with an hp psu. it’s tough to reuse these prebuilt components in diy builds.

oh I know I'd need adapters, I know where to get some already anyways

as you might've guessed its proprietary, including the connector for the motherboard. I think I found the model for my motherboard a while back, let me see if I can find it again

Why not just buy a new mobo? Your memory and cpu should be compatible without any issues. 

10 minutes ago, johnt said:

Why not just buy a new mobo? Your memory and cpu should be compatible without any issues. 

mostly money.

47 minutes ago, JayCreate said:

mostly money.

Figured. It's become very expensive to buy computer gear these days. What processor are you running?

15 hours ago, johnt said:

Figured. It's become very expensive to buy computer gear these days. What processor are you running?

as of now it's a humble i5 8500, it's very nice to use in blender and rendering in general. I do plan to upgrade everything within like 4 years, rather sit and wait cause as of now the market is on fire

31 minutes ago, JayCreate said:

as of now it's a humble i5 8500, it's very nice to use in blender and rendering in general. I do plan to upgrade everything within like 4 years, rather sit and wait cause as of now the market is on fire

There is no good time to buy a PC lol It's like having children, except it's not quite as permanent. 

25 minutes ago, johnt said:

There is no good time to buy a PC lol It's like having children, except it's not quite as permanent. 

I guess so, but at least I know by then I will have better footing financially. And besides, as of now, my hardware has been treating me nicely, maybe except my 1660 but hey, it's a lot better than what I had before 

See the source imageI think I found the motherboard my PC uses for further information. Looks about the size of an mATX motherboard

oh and how would powering the system on work? I don't think it has the necessary connector as far as I'm aware

You could probably desolder the button and use wires to put it outside of the case. Beyond that I’m not sure.

1 hour ago, JayCreate said:

oh and how would powering the system on work? I don't think it has the necessary connector as far as I'm aware

Main Gaming Machine

1 hour ago, TylerD321 said:

You could probably desolder the button and use wires to put it outside of the case. Beyond that I’m not sure.

haha maybe i can just steal the button and have a funny story to tell everytime someone sees it