What is the difference between the Gamboy Color and the Gameboy Pocket

SPARKZ_0

I had a Gameboy DMG and i tried the Gameboy Advance and the SP

The DMG screens is puke color and looks bad plus it always turns of on its own and just unreliable. The GBAs screens is way too dim, and the SP is unconfutable, and the button are waaaayy to small

my only options left is the Pocket and the Color

I think they both look cool and are more ergonomic and not as bulky as the DMG

My most important factor is the screen

This video did help me out a bit, but I also want someone's experience with them

I don't really count on playing Gameboy color exclusives probably only the grey cartridges except for one AND I WON'T SAY WHAT IT IS (Elmo in GrouchLand) but other than that its it.

The Game Boy Color has more memory and runs at twice the clock speed. (And it supports color, of course.) It can run all the cartridges/ROMs the DMG and Pocket can, including the black ones that have Color-specific enhancements. The DMG and Pocket can't play the clear, Color-only games.

And none of them can play GBA games. For those, your options are a GBA, Micro, or DS. (The Micro and DS can't play original or Color games, only GBA.)

If your choices are a Pocket or a Color, I'd go for the Color. Those run on AAs instead of AAAs, and I think the screen is nicer (even if it's a little smaller).

Gameboy modding is a deep rabbit hole. There are modern, backlit IPS LCDs for every model at this point. Just look at all the parts available on sites like Handheld Legend.

(I've had a Game Boy Color since 1998, and an original GBA since it was released.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

14 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

The Game Boy Color has more memory and runs at twice the clock speed. (And it supports color, of course.) It can run all the cartridges/ROMs the DMG and Pocket can, including the black ones that have Color-specific enhancements. The DMG and Pocket can't play the clear, Color-only games.

And none of them can play GBA games. For those, your options are a GBA, Micro, or DS. (The Micro and DS can't play original or Color games, only GBA.)

If your choices are a Pocket or a Color, I'd go for the Color. Those run on AAs instead of AAAs, and I think the screen is nicer (even if it's a little smaller).

Gameboy modding is a deep rabbit hole. There are modern, backlit IPS LCDs for every model at this point. Just look at all the parts available on sites like Handheld Legend.

(I've had a Game Boy Color since 1998, and an original GBA since it was released.)

To be honest im going to keep it bone stock

I like the black and white of the pocket but apparently the screen can be...

that crispy difference between Pocket and Color - that Active Matrix screen  is so much nicer😎 : r/Gameboy

4 minutes ago, 2TB Hard Drive said:

Yeah, if you're going to use them as-is, I would definitely go with the Color. You'll be able to urn any pre-GBA game.

You're lucky you found a Pocket with a good screen. A lot of them have dark spots in the middle of the screen, because the glue holding the plastic polarizing filters to the glass LCD degrade. That can be fixed (and it gives you the option to install a backlight kit and a "bivert" mod to get better contrast out of the original screen), but it's a delicate process.

I haven't ever seen that issue on the Color.

If you want to play a black-and-white Game Boy game in grayscale on the Color, hold Left and B immediately after you power it on.

6 hours ago, 2TB Hard Drive said:

that crispy difference between Pocket and Color - that Active Matrix screen  is so much nicer😎 : r/Gameboy

If you're just worried about soldering, he's a solder free screen drop in kit if you're using a 32-pin GBA.

20 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

If you're just worried about soldering, he's a solder free screen drop in kit if you're using a 32-pin GBA.

Well i like the old school aspect of the gameboy color and the pocket and im gonna keep them stock and ive been soldering for a while now

Plus i also installed that kit for a friend before and im not a big fan of the gba

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 7:19 AM, Needfuldoer said:

You forgot about the Gameboy advanced sp. which can do all Gameboy games from the original dmg to the Gameboy advanced games

5 minutes ago, Pandacorvette84 said:

You forgot about the Gameboy advanced sp. which can do all Gameboy games from the original dmg to the Gameboy advanced games

I never had an SP, they were too small and uncomfortable for me. Same with the Micro. An original GBA with a lithium battery and IPS swap is the best in the line, in my opinion.

There's an IPS kit available for it, anyway.

https://handheldlegend.com/products/game-boy-advance-sp-ips-backlit-lcd-kit

I can see that. I personally think it's small too but I prefer playing  on original hardware gives me more of a nostalgia kick. I never had gameboy Micro that was way to small of a screen to me.