Need New Coolant Recommendation

Raytsou
Go to solution Solved by Thomas4,

You can make your own:

A mixture of distilled water, 4-6 drops of liquid soap detergent (for a wetting agent), 15% automotive anti-freeze (a corrosion preventative), and mouthwash (a disinfectant).

Warning: the anti-freeze makes it poisonous but as long as common sense is used you'll be safe - just don't drink it!

If you don't want to make your own, there are a number of manufacturers who make pre-made solutions.

For more background than you probably want:

https://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-i/ &

https://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-ii/

Hi all, I need help choosing a new coolant for my water loop. The specs are in my bio. I've been running ek cryofuel cloud white, but that has turned clear and coated my tubes in a slightly greenish-yellow sediment. I have no idea why it's doing this but I've decided I'm switching coolants. I'm debating between using a clear coolant premix/concentrate or distilled water + biocide. Any recommendations?

This is a signature.

Use distilled water & biocide, anything else is just going to discolor the tubing further - yeah all the fancy colors looks nicer when new but they all have a detrimental effect on the plastic due to the staining by the dye added.

3 minutes ago, Thomas4 said:

Use distilled water & biocide, anything else is just going to discolor the tubing further - yeah all the fancy colors looks nicer when new but they all have a detrimental effect on the plastic due to the staining by the dye added.

any recommendations for biocide?

This is a signature.

You can make your own:

A mixture of distilled water, 4-6 drops of liquid soap detergent (for a wetting agent), 15% automotive anti-freeze (a corrosion preventative), and mouthwash (a disinfectant).

Warning: the anti-freeze makes it poisonous but as long as common sense is used you'll be safe - just don't drink it!

If you don't want to make your own, there are a number of manufacturers who make pre-made solutions.

For more background than you probably want:

https://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-i/ &

https://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-ii/

Prolly gonna turn the tubes yellow regardless. Unless theres some actual nice stuff out there thats easily sourced that doesnt. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Yeah your right, but I just got a silly idea. Why not PAINT the tubing prior to installation. There are manufactures of paint designed for radio control cars that's extremely flexible.

Just imagine, Snake skin colored tubing instead of the same boring neon mono-color that everyone else uses!

The paint is designed to go on the interior, but due to the fact that there won't be the external forces applied, it should work on the outside of the tubing.

i just use 30% ethylene glycol mix

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

Distilled water with 2 drops of Mayhem's biocide and about 5 of corrosion inhibitor in about a litre and a half of water did me fine for a year. No noticeable corrosion on anything. Don't know if it would have dyed tubes because I was running ZMT black. 

I also ran pastel cryofuel for almost a year without any issues or staining, but that's with acrylic hard tubing. 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

• 2 weeks later...

I use EC6 in clear just to get around the need to mix my own in my system.