Can I use a switch to connect my access point?

Apollo Refugio

Hello,
I am purchasing a cheap router (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T9FTFX5?psc=1&smid=A164OPQDTKO5OE&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp) to use as an access point for a dead spot in my garage. My current router is in the dead center of my home, but during home renovations, I put a drop in a room near the garage. The drop is currently being used on my personal PC, but I was wondering if I run a gigabit switch out of that drop, and use the switch to run to my PC, and the access point that I will install, if that will work. All the videos on youtube are plugging the access point directly into the router, but I do not want to have a wire running through my house to the dead spot in my garage that were my router will be. Can anyone advise?
Thank you.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

Should work. Its basically how I have my access point setup in my house. Router to a POE switch and then to my Access Point. Works flawlessly.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

18 minutes ago, Apollo Refugio said:

Hello,
I am purchasing a cheap router (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T9FTFX5?psc=1&smid=A164OPQDTKO5OE&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp) to use as an access point for a dead spot in my garage. My current router is in the dead center of my home, but during home renovations, I put a drop in a room near the garage. The drop is currently being used on my personal PC, but I was wondering if I run a gigabit switch out of that drop, and use the switch to run to my PC, and the access point that I will install, if that will work. All the videos on youtube are plugging the access point directly into the router, but I do not want to have a wire running through my house to the dead spot in my garage that were my router will be. Can anyone advise?
Thank you.

just looked up the router you were looking at, do not get it. The ethernet ports on it are only 100mbps, not 1 gig.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You're better off buying an access point. Some have a switch built in like the ubiquiti in wall access points.

26 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

just looked up the router you were looking at, do not get it. The ethernet ports on it are only 100mbps, not 1 gig.

i really only need it for the WIFI access. I'm putting this router in my garage so its not really much. its only to access my bottom corner rooms of my house. just wifi capabilities wise, it should be fine right?

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

1 minute ago, Apollo Refugio said:

i really only need it for the WIFI access. I'm putting this router in my garage so its not really much. its only to access my bottom corner rooms of my house. just wifi capabilities wise, it should be fine right?

i just realized, my speeds would also be throttled. thank you for pointing it out.

Access Points just need to connect to your network. They dont need a router. Think of an Access Point as just extending a port on a switch. 

We owe this confusion to all on one routers that have built in APs, switch, router, and Firewall. And.....unfortunately they tend to be half ass at most functions 🙂

Prefer Ubiquiti for this myself.

What you are trying to do will work and is used in home and business setups.

Use your one drop into a 1G switch and feed your PC and AP from there 🙂

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]