Sony STR-DH790 A/V Receiver with LG C2 OLED problems

I am running into an issue which may or may not because of certain standby modes or eArc features. When I have an HDMI from TV (eArc or regular) into the TV out, and have a Cable Box (optimum) into receiver, I will occasionally get sound and video. If nothing changes it may stay on, but its hit or miss and just seems to be random for when it works. The only way I found this setup works every time is having an HDMI from TV into the Receiver, and a separate HDMI from TV to the Cable box. It still handles the sound properly, but to me defeats the purpose of an A/V receiver. 

I have messed with the settings on the receiver and TV haven't found a combo that works.

Any help would be amazing.

So just to clarify, there are two different methods of hooking up devices to a TV and AV Receiver.

The primary method is the "direct" method - the AV Receiver is a middle man. You connect all your devices into the AV Receiver's HDMI inputs, and you connect the TV to the AV Receiver's HDMI output. All sound goes to the receiver, and video is passed to the TV.

The other method is using Arc (or eArc - works the same). In this scenario, you can connect devices directly to the HDMI inputs on the TV, and the TV connects to the AV Receiver using the same HDMI Out, but it passes Audio "backwards" along the HDMI cable from the TV to the Receiver.

Personally I use the "primary" method for ease of use and simplicity (Arc and eArc have always been iffy at times). I have enough HDMI ports on my Receiver to accomplish this.

Can you explain exactly what the actual issue is? It's not entirely clear. Is your AV Receiver turning itself off? Are you getting no sound? Are you getting no video?

Can you also clarify exactly how your connects are setup? Is everything going to the TV, then the TV goes to the Receiver using eArc?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)