PC Fell Over Now XMP won't work

rpalmz46

My PC Fell over a little bit ago and ever since my ram won't run at the same xmp profile it used to before I'm running the patriot viper 4000mhz ram.

Basically if I enable xmp profile at all the PC won't boot motherboard turns yellow light to red for a bit then posts in safe mode at 2133.

I'm wondering if this is likely a ram issue and it just got blasted from falling or something.

I tried manually going in and lowering the ram speed and got it to boot at around 3000mhz but it felt unstable so I'm just running at 2133 still.

Should I buy new ram or is it more likely the mobo is damaged, it fell a decent distance onto hard floor on the side of the back of the mobo.

The rams outer housing kind of fell apart a bit but I can't tell if that was from the fall or the heat inside the case just melted off whatever held it together.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

It is unlikely but possible RAM slots damaged (solder went bad), RAM chips themselves started to have problem or the RAM controller on the CPU.

Reseat the CPU, and RAM sticks. Then do a RAM diagnostic using Windows Memory Diagnostics, if still nothing, try test the RAM sticks using MemTest86.

(P.S. You can also try one stick at a time. If there is a working, you can then try the slots using the working stick, or test the other stick using the working slot).

Yes try reseating and then remove one at a time to isolate the problem.

Alright if I got one working with xmp in all slots it would be safe to assume that one of the ram sticks was dead not the motherboard slots for the ram?

I actually do have another set of ram here that i could try and see if it works only thing is i don't think its a perfect comparison because the ram in question has 4000mhz as its xmp profile whereas my old ram I could test only runs at 2400mhz xmp so its not nearly as high of a speed. So if the issue was with the ram running at too fast a speed i still couldn't tell.

4 hours ago, rpalmz46 said:

Alright if I got one working with xmp in all slots it would be safe to assume that one of the ram sticks was dead not the motherboard slots for the ram?

If one worked, then try the other stick at one of the known good slot. If it is good, then try both.

XMP can be unstable because of bad connection anywhere in between CPU to RAM, which is also why some boards can have faster memory QVL despite using the same CPU.

It can be just bad connection at either the RAM slot or CPU socket, good enough for post, but can't take the higher frequency. 

Really if your Mobo's trace is bad, CPU memory controller or ram stick went bad, it most likely won't be able to post at all. Still, a memory diagnostic with Windows or MemTest86 can make sure your RAM is good.

I did a windows memory diagnostic and a memtest just the standard test last night and it threw back no errors. 

Just trying to diagnose this because i had planned to buy new ram because i want 32gb cuz my 16gb is almost always being really close to being fully utilized while gaming, and need to figure if its a mobo issue or my ram sticks cuz best case is ram has the issue i think.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:23 PM, rpalmz46 said:

Just trying to diagnose this because i had planned to buy new ram because i want 32gb cuz my 16gb is almost always being really close to being fully utilized while gaming, and need to figure if its a mobo issue or my ram sticks cuz best case is ram has the issue i think.

If you plan to buy new ram and want to keep using them at XMP, its advised buy set of 32GB ram instead of 16GB set. It may not work or stable at XMP speeds.

On 11/22/2022 at 4:55 PM, Supersonicwolfe said:

If you plan to buy new ram and want to keep using them at XMP, its advised buy set of 32GB ram instead of 16GB set. It may not work or stable at XMP speeds.

Yeah i am definitely planning on 32gb im sick of almost being at my ram cap most games i play my system is using around 13-15gb of my 16gb of ram anyways. I want the extra headroom. Is this a good kit to buy Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V Desktop Memory - Black : Amazon.ca: Electronics? Don't want to break the bank 

On 11/22/2022 at 4:59 PM, Supersonicwolfe said:

Where you able to enable XMP before testing?

If you did then your system is running fine if no error came back from both RAM diagnosis.

No xmp wasnt enabled i cant even boot with it on.

On 11/24/2022 at 12:00 AM, rpalmz46 said:

2 sticks are more stable than 4, it's generally recommended to use only 2 sticks with XMP, nothing stop you to trying, but keep in mind that.

On 11/23/2022 at 11:54 PM, rpalmz46 said:

No xmp wasnt enabled i cant even boot with it on.

You should try get XMP boot first before trying memory diagnostics. The diagnostics are meant to test if your RAM is stable at speeds you want to run, no error at lower speed is good, but more importantly you want those ran at XMP/RAM speeds you want to run. (No error at lower speed also doesn't mean no error at higher speeds)

Try reseating RAM, start with one stick and run XMP, that works you have 1 known good RAM and 1 known good slot. You can try the other stick in the same slot to veirify if that stick is also good. Then try the other slots.

If that didn't work, then try reseating CPU.

If that still didn't work, you will need to find a know-working motherboard/RAM/CPU at XMP speeds you want. Remember XMP is still over clocking, lower speed ram works doesn't mean XMP will work.