Audio issues, maybe driver issue?

Ravendarat

Ok so I have a msi 3060 gaming card and I have been having audio issues off and on for probably 4 months. What happens is after a random amount of time the audio will become what I can only describe as garbled and scratchy then it just goes out. If I run the troubleshooter built into windows its reinstalls the "generic driver" and it starts working fine again. Sometimes that fixes it for a few days, other times in 20 minutes I have to do it again. I havent been able to find any other driver besides the generic audio driver, not sure if thats the issue. Its running HDMI into my projector which is where the audio comes from. The card did this in my other system as well so I figure it has to either be a hardware issue or a driver issue of somekind, Im leaning more towards a driver issue as it gets resolved for. awhile by reinstalling the driver. If I am right I am just wondering if anyone knows a permenant fix as this current "reinstalling the driver every so often" isnt really a fix as much as just "kicking the can down the road"

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas at all? Its about once every 48 hours on average but sometimes the audio breaks a few times a night, always fixed after reinstalling the "generic audio driver". I should have mentioned in the OP that I am on windows 10. Also I am now running into am audio receiver through HDMI and the issue remains. I could do optical but than I can do Atmos off the home theatre PC, Id have to stream though PLEX to do it, which technically I could do but still isnt fixing the route issue

Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly.

Are you running the onboard Audio card and the HDMI concurrently at the same time ? Do you need them both ?

Never, EVER, replace MFG drivers with MS generic drivers. Go get the newer driver from MFG, maybe your issue was fixed.

If all you ever do is run HDMI audio, disable the onboard audio in Bios.

2 hours ago, Cyberat said:

Run the full nVidia install and make sure the HDMI audio is ticked on.

Ya see this is where im clearly making a mistake, when I ran the windows troubleshooter thats what installed the generic driver as far as I can tell. I did a ddu uninstall then reinstalled the nvidia driver but then I still end up with this stupid generic driver. I never saw a place to "check" HDMI audio on. And I have not tried to use the onboard audio as well as the HDMI audio yet, I just said that could technically be a solution, just not an ideal one. I will try again tomorrow to DDU and reinstall and see if that helps me out.

After you install the driver, hop on to device manager, see if you got any yellow question marks, see what fails to install.

Or get the hdmi audio driver separate from video, don't know how nVidia would not pack audio with their install.

Are you downloading non-whql and slim drivers ???