KVM that supports HDMI -and- DP

Exan

Budget (including currency): 500 euro (tho if you know of a pricier solution I'd still appreciate it)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

I want to have a single button to switch between my work provided M1 Pro Macbook Pro and my own PC with an RTX3070.

Other details:

I'd like to be able to use both my displays with both devices. One is a 1440p 75hz display (tho if bandwith limitations would limit this to 60 fps that'd be fine), and one 21:9 1440p ultrawide at 144hz (which I do want at high refresh rate).

I've tried doing this with a 2x displayport switch and a thunderbolt dock for my Macbook to get displayport out of it. However, it could only provide a single displayport out over thunderbolt. To get an additional display I had to use the HDMI port (on the MacBook itself).

The HDMI inputs on my ultrawide do not support high refresh rate, so it has to be DP going into this display. As far as I can think of, this could be solved by a KVM switch that supports HDMI and Displayport, in a setup like pictured below.

But I have been unable to find KVMs that support HDMI and DP. Some I've found support DP and HDMI as input but then only have HDMI out, meaning they convert DP to HDMI rather than letting it be DP.

My backup solution would be a single display DP KVM and an HDMI switch, but I'd prefer to have a single device.

HDMI to DP converters do exist and could solve my problem, but they're active cables as DP requires some extra data which needs to be "faked", thus I would rather avoid using these as I expect these cause more trouble than its worth. Would also like to hear if anyone's ever used them in a setup like this.

it's gonna be tough to find a single kvm that just happens to have that combination.

that said.. most kvm's have REALLY simple front panel button logic, so if you want to get crafty, you could probably just combine the inputs of both together.

EDIT: should add.. the HDMI side will probably stay connected to both sides, whereas the DP side probably wont, because of how DP works.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 5:26 AM, manikyath said:

it's gonna be tough to find a single kvm that just happens to have that combination.

that said.. most kvm's have REALLY simple front panel button logic, so if you want to get crafty, you could probably just combine the inputs of both together.

EDIT: should add.. the HDMI side will probably stay connected to both sides, whereas the DP side probably wont, because of how DP works.

If the 1440P 75hz monitor has a DisplayPort port for video input, then can put a TB4 Thunderbolt dock or hub between the M1 Pro and a Dual-DP KVM switch.  So, you don't need to have any HDMI converter or HDMI cables for this setup. 

Because, most of the RTX3070 GPU units have multi DisplayPort video outputs on them, you can just use two DP-to-DP cables putting between the RTX3070 and the KVM switch. 

1 minute ago, JuneOn Tech said:

If the 1440P 75hz monitor has a DisplayPort port for video input, then can put a TB4 Thunderbolt dock or hub between the M1 Pro and a Dual-DP KVM switch.  So, you don't need to have any HDMI converter or HDMI cables for this setup. 

except OP already tried this:

On 11/14/2022 at 1:30 PM, Exan said:

I've tried doing this with a 2x displayport switch and a thunderbolt dock for my Macbook to get displayport out of it. However, it could only provide a single displayport out over thunderbolt. To get an additional display I had to use the HDMI port (on the MacBook itself).

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

What is the brand and model of the TB4 dock you tried.  There are many TB4 can support two DisplayPort video outputs.

On 11/27/2022 at 3:05 PM, manikyath said:

What is the brand and model of the TB4 dock you tried.  There are many TB4 can support two DisplayPort video outputs.

I used an OWC TB4 hub with 2 x CAC-1557 (active type-C-to-DP1.4 cable) and can have two DP 1.4 outputs to a Dual DP 1.4 KVM switch. 

And since the RTX3070 has 3 DP 1.4a ports on it.  You just connect two DP 1.4 cables directly from the GPU to the KVM switch. 

With this confirmation and setup, I have no issue to support 2560x1440@240hz and the other 3440x1440 @165hz monitor, and also having USB 3.0 sharing ports on the KVM switch to add sharing devices, such as 4K webcam, USB DAC..etc.