Help perfecting my Mac/PC Synergy setup.

Bory Brason

Summary

I am operating a triple screen setup for work and gaming at home. My setup consists of 3 x LG 4k Monitors. 1 x M1 Mac Mini and a Corsair One i300. The centre and right screens make up the CoreSair One and my far left screen is my Mac Mini. I already am using Synergy to control both machines.

I have set both machines to have a static IP on my local network. What I want to achieve is through something like wake on lan have my Mac Mini boot up and login when my Windows PC does and also shut down when I shut down my Windows PC.

My thoughts

I am hoping that some one here may have done something similar or can point me in the right direction for creating a script, batch file that can booy my Mac Mini. A great further step would be that locking and unlocking my PC would also automatically unlock the Mac Mini as well. I cannot wait to share my finished desk set up with everyone. There is a lot more coming but this is one little basic I cannot seem to find my way around.

1.jpg.03c09f3ff312015cee18da60072f268f.jpg

I don’t know of a way to do the login, but you could do a script to have the pc wake on LAN as soon as it boots.  Possibly visa versa as well.  remote automatic login may be difficult with either machine though.  Login is also a safety feature. There might be a way to do it for one machine or the other, but I can’t think of a way it could be done with either without having security issues. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

-= Topic moved to General Discussion =-

This is fair obvious this is not a Tech News topic of discussion.

OP I see you are new to the forum but please use some deductive reasoning before posting your topics.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Topic moved to General Discussion =-

This is fair obvious this is not a Tech News topic of discussion.

OP I see you are new to the forum but please use some deductive reasoning before posting your topics.

This was in tech news?!  Shoulda looked.  Sorry.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I don't think you would do this via synergy/barriers (barriers is the free port of synergy, just FYI). I know that both can synchronize SCREEN SAVERS, so if one monitor falls asleep you can make the other computer do the same thing, but it never worked great for me. 

What I would do is setup remote access on the mac via ssh. 

Then, have the windows computer run a script on shutdown that sends the proper commands to the mac to make it shut down. A similar script on startup to make it startup. IIRC wake on lan stuff in the console is a nightmare, or at least it was last time I tried it, but I'm dumb so who knows. (I don't REALLY think it's a nightmare, it's just a pain. You need like the mac address of the target pc and IP and a bunch of stuff and it's just annoying *to type in* but if it's in a script I'm sure it's fine 🙂 )

Alternatively, run a script on the mac as a cron job that constantly pings the windows PC and when it doesn't receive a response for a few minutes, to shut down. Of course, you'd still need a wake script when the windows PC boots. 

Make sure wake on lan settings in the mac are enabled of course. 

EDIT: Back in the day Macs were happiest being left on 24/7 due to being able to run their optimization scripts at the correct time. I don't... think... this is still true, but it's worth researching whether or not you actually want to shut it down. 

On 11/11/2022 at 8:26 PM, Bory Brason said:

What I want to achieve is through something like wake on lan have my Mac Mini boot up and login when my Windows PC does and also shut down when I shut down my Windows PC.

Hello there! Thanks for being a Synergy customer. Great setup by the way. This is a feature request that we do plan to implement in the future, but as a workaround, @corrado33's ideas could help to fill in the gap until we get it implemented. By the way, we do have Discord/Slack and forums where you can discuss Synergy feature ideas. If there's anything at all we can do to help, please do get in touch with us.