No picture after upgrading from 12900KS to 13900k

Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

Because you don't have spare parts,...Take it to a store,....Not that you couldn't likely fix this yourself, but they will have the spares to likely fix it in just 5-15 mins or so given nothing is actually wrong.

Hey,

A few days ago I sold my 12900ks to upgrade to the new 13900k. My cpu arrived today, I just installed it and I don't get any picture at all. I should also mention that I have updated the bios to the latest version on my motherboard that adds support to 13th gen intel cpu's

My pc spec :

z690 asus rog strix A d4 motherborad (ddr4 version)

16gb Ddr4 4800 mhz cl18

Rtx 3090 ti

corsair hx1200i

Everything was working just fine with my 12900ks. Unfortunatly I have sold it so now I'm left with a 13900k and when installed on my motherboard I get no post nor a display. Now my question is that what could be wrong here exacly. I'm pretty sure this motherboard is compatibel with this cpu. Maybe I got a bad cpu ? Or maybe something got damaged during the installing procces ? (Unlikely).

I have also cleard cmos, still no picture. Some advice/ideas would be appriciate it !

Thanks

You should have updated the BIOS and verified that the new CPU would work before selling the old CPU...

I think you can update the BIOS without a CPU installed, but I'm not sure since I don't use ASUS stuff.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

7 minutes ago, Sarra said:

You should have updated the BIOS and verified that the new CPU would work before selling the old CPU...

I think you can update the BIOS without a CPU installed, but I'm not sure since I don't use ASUS stuff.

Yeah but I didn't have that option... I had to sell my 12900ks in order to have enough money to buy the 13900k and as I said I have updated the bios... did you even read what I wrote ? Lol

1 minute ago, Random-guy said:

Yeah but I didn't have that option... I had to sell my 12900ks in order to have enough money to buy the 13900k and as I said I have updated the bios... did you even read what I wrote ? Lol

You missed the part where I said to 'verify that it worked'?

Other than reseating your CPU, reseating your GPU, and making sure the 8 pin power connectors (for the CPU and GPU) are fully seated, not sure what else you can even try.

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

You missed the part where I said to 'verify that it worked'?

Other than reseating your CPU, reseating your GPU, and making sure the 8 pin power connectors (for the CPU and GPU) are fully seated, not sure what else you can even try.

And you missed the part where I said "I didn't have that option" 

Thanks for your help

Because you don't have spare parts,...Take it to a store,....Not that you couldn't likely fix this yourself, but they will have the spares to likely fix it in just 5-15 mins or so given nothing is actually wrong.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

5 minutes ago, Random-guy said:

And you missed the part where I said "I didn't have that option" 

Thanks for your help

Does your board have a POST code display built onto the board? The POST code would be pretty helpful in narrowing down what's causing the lack of POST.

4 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Yeah that is what I was thinking aswell 👍

Unfortunately, really all you can do besides just reseating everything if that doesn't work is to test with another processor, since you don't have one you're going to need find someone who does like a shop, who can test it for you, or you'll need to pick up a processor for you to test yourself. If you haven't already reseated your CPU or other components you moved to change your CPU make sure you do that as well.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, Sarra said:

Does your board have a POST code display built onto the board? The POST code would be pretty helpful in narrowing down what's causing the lack of POST.

No post code unfortunatly, also I should have mentioned that the bios update was still done with my 12900ks and it was succesfull.

I will either bring the card to a store or I will order a i3 12100 or something for troubleshooting or maybe another z690 mobo

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Unfortunately, really all you can do besides just reseating everything if that doesn't work is to test with another processor, since you don't have one you're going to need find someone who does like a shop, who can test it for you, or you'll need to pick up a processor for you to test yourself. If you haven't already reseated your CPU or other components you moved to change your CPU make sure you do that as well.

I will try to see if there is ant bent pins on the cpu or socket case aswell before bringing it to the store which I doubt is the case since the installing procces was pretty smooth. If anything changes or I found the issue I will update this post to hopefully help other people aswell with the same issue 👍

2 hours ago, Random-guy said:

I will try to see if there is ant bent pins on the cpu or socket case aswell before bringing it to the store which I doubt is the case since the installing procces was pretty smooth. If anything changes or I found the issue I will update this post to hopefully help other people aswell with the same issue 👍

Problem solved 👍If anyone was wondering what the issue was, it was because there was a tiny bit of dust on my cpu socket. After removing the dust cpu works just fine

20221031_192716.jpg

I couldn't get my MSI Z690 to post with their most recent BIOS and 13700KF either....reflashed several times and ended up downgrading one bios version and it works fine

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

• 6 months later...
On 10/31/2022 at 7:41 PM, Mister Woof said:

I couldn't get my MSI Z690 to post with their most recent BIOS and 13700KF either....reflashed several times and ended up downgrading one bios version and it works fine

What version it worked for you? I got 13900KS and couldn’t get it working with version 2305 and 2103. My 12900KS works all the time.

On 10/31/2022 at 7:27 PM, Random-guy said:

Problem solved 👍If anyone was wondering what the issue was, it was because there was a tiny bit of dust on my cpu socket. After removing the dust cpu works just fine

20221031_192716.jpg

What version it worked for you? I got 13900KS and couldn’t get it working with version 2305 and 2103. My 12900KS works all the time.

On 5/30/2023 at 2:42 AM, Apocalypto1989 said:

image.png.5c73bf06fe6214a759fd11e35974b368.png

I haven't updated it since

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x