Power Suply capacitor failure after a failure to post

Gamercave
Go to solution Solved by Heats with Nvidia,
2 hours ago, Gamercave said:

agreed here, the point is not knowing what caused the power suply to break so if i atempt to power with a new power suply and that one breaking but point taken

Electrolytic capacitors usually break because of old age, abuse like high temperatures, high frequency currents etc... which would mean its just not suitable for the application it was used for, or a too high voltage. But a too high voltage is very unlikely in a PC PSU. In most cases that i know of, they explode and turn the power supply off, but no overvoltage on the output occured and the PC still works.

But even if the components got damaged, they will just not work with the other power supply and in the extreme case of a short, the new power supply will just switch off. At least if its not a really cheap and bad unit.

By the way, what type of power supply was it and how old was it?

so my power suply blew up after my computer failed to post, wasnt even getting to the bios launch screen, unplugged GPU and harddrives and attempted to start and power suply blew up as in capacitor went poof and i could smell it, im usure as to weather or not this is an actual power suply issue or weather another coponent was broken prior to the psu going, however im also no unaware if any other components have gone after the psu blew no signs of burns or anything on the motherboard and do not have spare components to be able to test weather things are working, im a uni student so budget is increadibly tight, however i do theoretically have the ability to build an entirely new and better PC and end up with -300 at the end the year without account for other things such as getting money for XMAS, i wanted opinions weather or not it is worth buying a PSU to see if that was the issue and the rest of the components are fine or weather to just build a new PC

SPECS OF SYSTEM THAT BROKE:

Ryzen 7 1700x

Vega 56

hyper 212 evo

gigabyte B350 motherboard 

also wanted thoughts on buying second hand components such as GPUs given the recent flood of the market with cards which have most likely been used for mining, Many thanks 

Its worth finding out if the components work and go from there. I would suggest you either get a used power supplay and at least test the old components with it, or you buy a good, new power supply that is powerful enough so you can use it in the new computer and test your old components with that and go from there.

When the components work, its more a matter of so you really want a new computer and what is the budget you currently have.

For example, you could invest in a newer CPU and maybe GPU and sell the old stuff. Your mainboard should work wih newer CPUs after a bios update.

agreed here, the point is not knowing what caused the power suply to break so if i atempt to power with a new power suply and that one breaking but point taken

2 hours ago, Gamercave said:

Electrolytic capacitors usually break because of old age, abuse like high temperatures, high frequency currents etc... which would mean its just not suitable for the application it was used for, or a too high voltage. But a too high voltage is very unlikely in a PC PSU. In most cases that i know of, they explode and turn the power supply off, but no overvoltage on the output occured and the PC still works.

But even if the components got damaged, they will just not work with the other power supply and in the extreme case of a short, the new power supply will just switch off. At least if its not a really cheap and bad unit.

By the way, what type of power supply was it and how old was it?