2 Consoles on the same network

Krs1

My wife and I play Apex Legends together but we've been struggling with what I suspect to be network related issues. We have a Playstation 5 and a Playstation 4 Pro connected via ethernet to an Asus ZenWiFi Pro ET12. I can't seem to find a way to get either console (ideally both) to not show NAT type 2. Forwarding ports, obviously, only let's me select one IP (of course). I can only DMZ 1 IP Address, and I'm amateur enough to not know if that risks taking anything else down in my network (also host a Plex server and work from home). 

Little Help?

2 minutes ago, Krs1 said:

My wife and I play Apex Legends together but we've been struggling with what I suspect to be network related issues. We have a Playstation 5 and a Playstation 4 Pro connected via ethernet to an Asus ZenWiFi Pro ET12. I can't seem to find a way to get either console (ideally both) to not show NAT type 2. Forwarding ports, obviously, only let's me select one IP (of course). I can only DMZ 1 IP Address, and I'm amateur enough to not know if that risks taking anything else down in my network (also host a Plex server and work from home). 

Little Help?

When u say struggling are u referring to

lag or something else?

1 minute ago, swabro said:

When u say struggling are u referring to

lag or something else?

Sorry, I guess I could have been more clear. When we party up together in the game lobby, we struggle staying together. I get a lot of "party leader quit" errors etc. Once a game launches sometimes one of us is still stuck in the lobby. Then in game we've been seeing some lag and network error icons.

If one of us is playing solo and connected with a friend on an outside network, we never have those types of issues. As soon as we start playing together, it becomes a constant struggle. I figured it was because some sort of network confusion splitting to two different consoles on the same network for similar traffic/ports.

Ok, looking into this, I thought NAT Type 2 was not ideal and I was looking for Type 1. But according to PortForward.com the goal for Playstation is Type 2. I don't know what to do now.

Ok this is a very common issue as I play apex as my main game and I have hardwired my pc and console and the ping is still bad and apex servers are notorious for being bs so it’s more of there problem and not really ur problem. All of u can do is wait and see if anything happens or u can try changing ur servers through the main page when the game loads by pressing the tab button

Did you set up some kind of port forwarding with which ports are being forwarded to any of the consoles?

14 hours ago, heimdali said:

Did you set up some kind of port forwarding with which ports are being forwarded to any of the consoles?

I did last night while I was playing around but I haven’t played the game after. I did just change my NAT type to Full Cone as well. I’m waiting to see if that has any noticeable difference. 

14 hours ago, swabro said:

Ok this is a very common issue as I play apex as my main game and I have hardwired my pc and console and the ping is still bad and apex servers are notorious for being bs so it’s more of there problem and not really ur problem. All of u can do is wait and see if anything happens or u can try changing ur servers through the main page when the game loads by pressing the tab button

Yeah, I get that Apex isn't known for the best servers... But I'm thinking there is something more to the issue as both of us really only struggle when we're partied together going into the same lobby. We can play for hours with other friends on outside networks, but it's only when we're together this issue is prevalent.

Edited by Krs1
Added more clarity

13 hours ago, Krs1 said:

We have a Playstation 5 and a Playstation 4 Pro connected via ethernet to an Asus ZenWiFi Pro ET12.

What is upstream of the ET12 and how is this connection made?

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

What is upstream of the ET12 and how is this connection made?

Apologies if I didn't fully understand. Each Playstation is connected via Cat-6 Ethernet directly to a 2.5Gb switch. That 2.5Gb switch is connected via Cat-6 Ethernet to my ISP's modem on a 2.5G Port. (Telus device operating in Bridge Mode)

(Yes, I know that connecting to a 2.5G switch is overkill since each playstation only has a 1G ethernet port... but I wanted to future proof when I renovated the basement for this setup).

11 minutes ago, Krs1 said:

Apologies if I didn't fully understand. Each Playstation is connected via Cat-6 Ethernet directly to a 2.5Gb switch. That 2.5Gb switch is connected via Cat-6 Ethernet to my ISP's modem on a 2.5G Port. (Telus device operating in Bridge Mode)

So where is the ET8 in all of this? And what is acting as the router?

IIUC what you want is to forward certain ports to one of the playstations --- assuming that you don't mind that the playstations could be attacked through these ports and through them your network.  That's just a "normal" port forward and I have no idea what "Full Cone" is supposed to be.

I was suspecting that your router might have been set up such that devices connected to it can't communicate with each other.  But since you have connected the playstations to a switch, they are able to talk to each other (unless you have have the switch not to allow that).

So what happens when you connect at least one, or both, playstations directly to the router?

It's even possible that there's a faulty network cable somehwere.  And what if you use WLAN, just for testing if that works any better?