Looking for a rackmount case for my setup to get outta my room

ImServs
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

Im gonna be honest, doing this type of thing tends to be very, very, dumb. Linus can do it because he has a ton of sponsors to pay for most of it, its by far one of the dumbest ideas i have seen for this type of stuff. For the average consumer, just put an air-conditioner in or something similar and that will save you a lot more time and money, headaches dealing with trying to get cables going through the walls and such depending on where you put  it, having to go up and down stairs or to the basement incase something happens. Overall its just something i would not recommend someone ever actually do.

That said if you REALLY want to do this  and you just have an irking thing to burn thousands of dollars redoing walls, cabling, rackmount stuff, id def check out Level1Techs for Wendel, he goes into a lot of detail on server grade stuff. For server racks, what to buy, what not to buy, helpful passthroughs that you will need to actually do this successfully without pulling your hair out/

I am planning to get my workstation/gaming pc out of my room as i live in 85°F/29°C state in the US and after 20yrs of blazing heat caused by my pc

im ready to move it along. Im using the following parts:

• i7 12700K
  • Asus ROG STRIX Z690-A Gaming Wifi (ATX)
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum rgb 64gb
  • x2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB
  • Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3090 Gaming OC
  • Thunderbolt PCIe card
  • Corsair HX1200 Platinum PSU (200 mm)

The plan is to rackmount this build and liquid cool the CPU and GPU with a 280mm radiator at the front and at least

x1-120mm fan at the back for outtake. I just know very little about rackmount chassis and what brands are good, where to buy, and which

ones will have the sizes i need. I may end up having to have Protocase make one custom but im hoping to avoid that expense.

\

What are my options for rackmount chassis?

Im gonna be honest, doing this type of thing tends to be very, very, dumb. Linus can do it because he has a ton of sponsors to pay for most of it, its by far one of the dumbest ideas i have seen for this type of stuff. For the average consumer, just put an air-conditioner in or something similar and that will save you a lot more time and money, headaches dealing with trying to get cables going through the walls and such depending on where you put  it, having to go up and down stairs or to the basement incase something happens. Overall its just something i would not recommend someone ever actually do.

That said if you REALLY want to do this  and you just have an irking thing to burn thousands of dollars redoing walls, cabling, rackmount stuff, id def check out Level1Techs for Wendel, he goes into a lot of detail on server grade stuff. For server racks, what to buy, what not to buy, helpful passthroughs that you will need to actually do this successfully without pulling your hair out/

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

if it wasnt for my router being on the opposite side of the wall where my office desk is i would have to reconsider. but being able to cut 2 holes and pass cables through 1 wall is a luxury i have 😅. Thanks for the info, ill check it out for more info.

You may not need to drill ANY holes. Are there wall outlets on both sides of the wall near to where the wiring has to go and just as important are you USING both outlets?

IF, stress the IF you're not using both top and bottom outlets you can possibly simply run the cable straight through both. Here you would have to drill a hole in each cover plate to allow the cable to pass through.

There are probably problems with this approach which I can't foresee, so here I leave it up to others for their opinions.

Let me add, if you really need to keep up appearances/spouse approval, there are single out wall receptacles available, also a good idea if the room in the box is tight and then replace the wall plate with one that has a hole only for a single outlet.

You'll still have to drill through the plate because it centers the outlet in the opening, but you'll gain more space in the outlet box. Just be careful and properly terminate the the wiring that was previously connect to the now missing receptacle if you do so.

You don't need a custom built rack mount water cooled case just for this. 

How far apart are your desk and the place you plan on moving the PC?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

You don't need a custom built rack mount water cooled case just for this. 

How far apart are your desk and the place you plan on moving the PC?

my desk and the server rack share a wall. so like 5ft-10ft apart max. And the reason I want to liquid cool it is because itll be in my kitchen, and i dont want it to be loud af

Most if not all rack mount cases are not very water cooling friendly. Sounds like you don't need anything fancy for your wall passthrough. I would get two double gang old work low voltage rings, and some faceplates with the bristles for a fairly clean look.

My wife would shoot me if I attempted to put a server rack in my kitchen.

Water cooling doesn't necessarily mean your PC will be quiet. You could probably achieve low noise using noctua fans and coolers. The key to quiet cooling is surface area as in bigger slower fans over a large area.

3 hours ago, Bdavis said:

Most if not all rack mount cases are not very water cooling friendly. Sounds like you don't need anything fancy for your wall passthrough. I would get two double gang old work low voltage rings, and some faceplates with the bristles for a fairly clean look.

My wife would shoot me if I attempted to put a server rack in my kitchen.

Water cooling doesn't necessarily mean your PC will be quiet. You could probably achieve low noise using noctua fans and coolers. The key to quiet cooling is surface area as in bigger slower fans over a large area.

True, and while id prefer an NH-D15, it seems like most 4U cases either dont support its height or push it a little too close. I did however find a silverstone 4U chassis that supports a 360mm rad at the front. Maybe an AIO then? 

9 hours ago, SenpaiServs said:

True, and while id prefer an NH-D15, it seems like most 4U cases either dont support its height or push it a little too close. I did however find a silverstone 4U chassis that supports a 360mm rad at the front. Maybe an AIO then? 

An AIO is easier, but if it fits, a radiator would probably fit also. The gpu is going to be the hardest to quiet down. Not sure if you plan on water cooling it.