Frequent stuttering and fps drops in games and multitasking (3090TI, 5600x)

Ronan26

I recently installed an MSI 3090TI into my system. Shortly after I noticed FPS drops in titles like Fifa 23 and League of legends, not very difficult for a 3090TI... I thought this was to do with the GPU not receiving enough power (I have a 750W PSU). I went into MSI Afterburner and changed the Fan Curve in an attempt to undervolt the GPU, as I don't need it maxed out to play titles like League.. This only exacerbated the FPS drops. I have also noticed that If I am playing Fifa on my main monitor with a movie streaming on my second monitor, the movie is EXTREMELY choppy and stuttering. I have removed and reinstalled afterburner and reinstalled GPU drivers. This didn't resolve the stuttering or reset the fan curve I made in afterburner.

I'm assuming my PSU isn't powerful enough to handle the new GPU, or my CPU is now the bottleneck? Very first world problem I know... Appreciate any help.

Specs:

AMD 5600X

MSI 3090TI

32GB Ram

MSI MAG B550

MSI 750 PSU

1x WD 1TB HDD

1x WD 2TB HDD

Samsung 1TB 970 EVO PLUS

Gigabyte 256GB M.2 SSD

If you run RivaTuner overlay while gaming, it can get you pointed in the right direction as to what is the bottleneck, showing CPU and GPU load, power, temps, etc.

Also, did you change anything else, or JUST the fan curve? I don't think the fan curve controls anything that would benefit poor performance. You would be needing to change target power, clock speed, memory speed, etc