MacOS display setting options with OLED TV display

stellarshy

Hi,

Thinking about getting an OLED on Black Friday, probably LG B2 or C2 series. I have two questions for those of you who have hooked it up to your Mac desktop or laptop:

1. Can you choose 120 Hz native resolution in macOS like you can with a high refresh rate monitor?
  2. If you do mirror mode with your main monitor or laptop screen, do you get the underscan option in the display panel?  I like to use this to artificially reduce the display size when I sit a little bit closer. 

Thank you in advance!

image.png.27660fc3ba640a93b319922bd9488d43.png

1 hour ago, stellarshy said:

Hi,

Thinking about getting an OLED on Black Friday, probably LG B2 or C2 series. I have two questions for those of you who have hooked it up to your Mac desktop or laptop:

1. Can you choose 120 Hz native resolution in macOS like you can with a high refresh rate monitor?
  2. If you do mirror mode with your main monitor or laptop screen, do you get the underscan option in the display panel?  I like to use this to artificially reduce the display size when I sit a little bit closer. 

Thank you in advance!

image.png.27660fc3ba640a93b319922bd9488d43.png

What Mac?  I know Apple Silicon doesn't support 4K 120Hz over HDMI and I've not seen any conclusive reports of if a USB-C to HDMI 2.1 adapter works or not.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

What Mac?  I know Apple Silicon doesn't support 4K 120Hz over HDMI and I've not seen any conclusive reports of if a USB-C to HDMI 2.1 adapter works or not.

Thank you for your reply – the last Intel Mac mini with four thunderbolt ports, fourth generation Mac mini unibody space grey with Intel Core i7-8700B. I may be willing to run the TV at 10:80 P in order to get 120 Hz, I just want to know if it's possible. The bigger question for me is the underscan option. Thank you!

4 hours ago, stellarshy said:

Thank you for your reply – the last Intel Mac mini with four thunderbolt ports, fourth generation Mac mini unibody space grey with Intel Core i7-8700B. I may be willing to run the TV at 10:80 P in order to get 120 Hz, I just want to know if it's possible. The bigger question for me is the underscan option. Thank you!

According to Apples website it says 2018 models (not sure if that's what you have) top out at 4K 60Hz on all outputs.

As far as I'm aware though the LG OLEDs do not overscan at 1080p, though I just checked on my C1 and I wouldn't personally want to use 1080p on it, text looks really ugly due to how the upscaling works (though that was on Windows, I'd expect MacOS to exhibit the same problem).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7