Having serious trouble with disconnections on ethernet

teo813

Hey everyone!
First time posting on the forums an I've got a pretty confusing issue. 
Some context first, my home has a full networking set up with two ethernet ports per room in the house. We have cat5 running through most of the walls in the house running down to my basement into a TL-SG1024S network switch. One of the ports on the switch is wired into an Xfinity Xfi modem one their gigabit plan (Speeds of 344 Down and 150 Up) using one of the gigabit ports on the modem. One of the ports on the switch run to my laptop.

Now for the problem, 

When I try to play a video game and stream at the same time my ethernet remains connected but says it has no internet as shown in the first attachment. I will also say that the issue seems to occur more consistently during the night. image.png.1e2426876974d9fec689a9f02058a3e8.png

I think my speeds should be more than high enough to support a 6000 bitrate stream but for whatever reason this issue persists. I would also note the laptop I am using is a Razer blade 14 the 3060 model and I am using an Anker PowerExpand+ 5-in-1 USB-C Ethernet Hub as my ethernet port.

Solutions I have tried so far have been, switching the port my modem interfaces with my router with, resetting my modem, reseating my ethernet connections to my laptop, getting a new ip using cmd, going into device manager and stopping windows from turning off the ethernet port for power savings, updating the hub's firmware, and resetting my laptop. Nothing has seemed to have any affect on the connectivity issue I have been experiencing.

If you guys have any possible solution I could try I am more than glad to give it a shot. Thanks!

6 hours ago, teo813 said:

Solutions I have tried so far have been, switching the port my modem interfaces with my router

The xFi is an internet gateway, i.e. it is a modem/router/AP/switch combo device. Do you have another router behind this?

A layout diagram would help a lot.

6 hours ago, teo813 said:

If you guys have any possible solution I could try I am more than glad to give it a shot. Thanks!

Do you have another device that you can attach to ethernet to see if the problem is replicated? I've had similar hubs/dongles fail before.

If your original post is correct and you have cat5 runs, there's your problem. Cat5 is only rated for 100mb/s. You need cat5e or better to run gigabit.

On 10/24/2022 at 5:12 PM, Bdavis said:

If your original post is correct and you have cat5 runs, there's your problem. Cat5 is only rated for 100mb/s. You need cat5e or better to run gigabit.

So I theoretically as far as I know was quoted as getting cat 5 runs, however speed tests over the ethernet connection are in excess of 100mb/s as of this very second being 227 mb/s down and 150 mb/s up.

I should also mention I am not trying to run at gigabit speeds. I am just trying to be able to stream in a stable way I can rely on and don't know if the adapter I am using from anker is the problem or if it could be something else. 
Overall to restate my actual goal I am trying to be able to stream consistently with no random outages and currently the issue I am experiencing is seemingly random disconnects from the internet while my computer still recognizes there is ethernet connected although stating there is no internet on the ethernet connection.

On 10/24/2022 at 8:02 AM, Falcon1986 said:

The xFi is an internet gateway, i.e. it is a modem/router/AP/switch combo device. Do you have another router behind this?

A layout diagram would help a lot.

Do you have another device that you can attach to ethernet to see if the problem is replicated? I've had similar hubs/dongles fail before.

So in response to the routers I am working I would say I do have two Wifi APs which I to be completely honest don't know if are exactly the same as routers being some Unifi 6 Lite APs. I will go ahead and paint a diagram which is linked below. I will also mention I currently do not have another usb-c to ethernet adapter and would have to purchase another which I would need to get a reliable replacement if I had to buy another so if there is any recommendation on another one I should test I would love to. I will mention my current Anker 5-in-1 hub has 3 usb 3.0 ports, an ethernet jack, and an hdmi port with two of the usb ports currently being populated by some usb devices.

network diagram.png