Balance Between Performance and Sound

I am starting to travel more, and I am wondering what a good gaming set up will look like? I like to play Call of Duty, Fortnite, and other team games. My previous laptop got pretty loud about 20mins into gaming, and the fans were audibly noticeable through my mic by my teammates. I would prefer to change that, I currently have a gaming pc so I switched to a Macbook pro M1 Pro for my laptop which is very quiet, if not silent for all my work applications. And I love that, but it does not handle games well. I play at 200fps on my gaming pc for Fortnite and 90fps on call of duty. To me it seems like fps is more important for me on Fortnite, since I am about the same on console and pc for call of duty and the fps between 60 and 140 don't seem to help but I like the way the game looks with the fps around 90 but for Fortnite I am 

What would you recommend for a quieter gaming laptop, or is that just not possible for pushing the laptop for hard? 

trying to keep it under 2.1K if possible. I know that might limit my fps but I want to know my options first. 

Best advice I can give you is this: for gaming, you want a powerful laptop, so fans are a must. 

I suggest you go to a (or several) places with demo units so you can actually play around and get it working hard so you can hear the difference. I have a 17" that is pretty quiet to me, and my wife has a newer one but much louder when pushed. There is a large range of how loud similar hardware is in different make.

Good luck both in your search and your travels.

7 hours ago, ExplorerSergio said:

I am starting to travel more, and I am wondering what a good gaming set up will look like? I like to play Call of Duty, Fortnite, and other team games. My previous laptop got pretty loud about 20mins into gaming, and the fans were audibly noticeable through my mic by my teammates. I would prefer to change that, I currently have a gaming pc so I switched to a Macbook pro M1 Pro for my laptop which is very quiet, if not silent for all my work applications. And I love that, but it does not handle games well. I play at 200fps on my gaming pc for Fortnite and 90fps on call of duty. To me it seems like fps is more important for me on Fortnite, since I am about the same on console and pc for call of duty and the fps between 60 and 140 don't seem to help but I like the way the game looks with the fps around 90 but for Fortnite I am 

What would you recommend for a quieter gaming laptop, or is that just not possible for pushing the laptop for hard? 

trying to keep it under 2.1K if possible. I know that might limit my fps but I want to know my options first. 

Most gaming laptops nowadays that aren't basically desktop replacements don't get that loud. If I crank the fans on my Asus ROG Strix G17 (2020 model, I7-10750H, GTX 1660Ti), it is audible but with my headphones I can't hear then. Gaming laptops with silent fans don't exist sadly, unless you stick to your MacBook. The Dell XPS laptops should be pretty quiet iirc and they have pretty big batteries and are pretty slim for the hardware they have in them

10 hours ago, RokInAmerica said:

Best advice I can give you is this: for gaming, you want a powerful laptop, so fans are a must. 

I suggest you go to a (or several) places with demo units so you can actually play around and get it working hard so you can hear the difference. I have a 17" that is pretty quiet to me, and my wife has a newer one but much louder when pushed. There is a large range of how loud similar hardware is in different make.

Good luck both in your search and your travels.

Okay good advise, I will do that. 

4 hours ago, DreamCat04 said:

Most gaming laptops nowadays that aren't basically desktop replacements don't get that loud. If I crank the fans on my Asus ROG Strix G17 (2020 model, I7-10750H, GTX 1660Ti), it is audible but with my headphones I can't hear then. Gaming laptops with silent fans don't exist sadly, unless you stick to your MacBook. The Dell XPS laptops should be pretty quiet iirc and they have pretty big batteries and are pretty slim for the hardware they have in them

Good to know, I am going to see if I can test out some laptops before I buy them, do you have any examples of what a laptop that is trying to be a desktop replacement might be? Just so I know which ones to stay away from. or is it pretty much all laptops with a 3080 in it? Or some other way to identify them?

15 hours ago, ExplorerSergio said:

Good to know, I am going to see if I can test out some laptops before I buy them, do you have any examples of what a laptop that is trying to be a desktop replacement might be? Just so I know which ones to stay away from. or is it pretty much all laptops with a 3080 in it? Or some other way to identify them?

Their thickness usually represents it. If it's really thick and heavy, you can count it as a desktop replacement. Also if it has a desktop-class CPU and a high wattage GPU, avoid that if you want a light laptop. There are laptops with 3080s in them that you could get and still not end up with a brick of a laptop