Power raspberry pi 3b/b+ question

narrdarr

I guess this sub is the best spot for the question. Hope so,

So I've never had a pi before. Thinking of getting a pi3b/b+ to setup a pihole. if it's overkill, let me know I can get a pi 2 with everything for 40$. Just thought the extra ram would be a plus. Either way, Would my router ( tp-link archer c5400x) usb be able to power the pi?

I run Pihole on a first generation Pi and its totally fine, but i am thinking to upgrade to a Pi3B anyway, so it might become a tiny bit more snappy.

The only problem is, i can`t find anything about the power delivery capabilities of your router. You can just try to use the Pi with an OS with thats support a display and if the router can`t supply it, it will complain about that with an error messsage.

• 2 weeks later...

The USB port on routers is generally intended to be connected to something like a printer or external drive with its own power supply. Likely it can provide just 500 mA to 1A, which would not be enough for even the Raspberry Pi 2B.

Best to get it its dedicated mains-to-USB adapter.

Be sure to get a power adapter from a reputable source.  I'm not sure if its still an issue but some of the lower cost wall power adapters that said 2.5A would deliver exactly 2.5amps but the minute it had any sort of load from the smallest source, it would drop the power and make it unstable.  I think Canakit started selling power adapters that are rated slightly higher to overcome this specific problem.  Also adding one of those inline USB meters comes in handy in a ton of ways (and they are cheap!).  I suppose you could also get a USB artificial load as well to pull 1A-2.5A to see how stable it is but a large resistor or light bulb can work.

Best of luck!

• 1 month later...