MX mechanical mini - keep it / return

peterpepo

Hello,

coming from K70-rgb cherry mx brown (orig. version, before facelift), I recently purchase MX Mechanical Mini - tactile for 120€.

While I always found my k70rgb - cherry mx brown very light - I feel like I caress keys instead of pushing them down - otherwise I bottom it out and can hear very distinctive plastic(keycap) bumping metal body of keyboard. The sound of these switches is quite sharp even if not bottoming out.

It is even ligther then k70rgb - cherry mx brown - v2 (not the oldest, not the latest pro revision), which my brother bought.

There two sets of switches don't seem even comparable. Browns in V2 have much more noticable "tactile" feedback, are harder to press (greater actuation force) and I don't bottom it out that much.

CORSAIR Gaming K70 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — CHERRY® MX Red

Anyway, I wanted to try TKL/70% version to reduce my back pain (right arm stretched far right, if my B-key is set to middle of the screen) so I went with MX Keys Mini from logitech during latest discount on amazon.

MX Mechanical Wireless Keyboard - Full Size or Mini | Logitech

Now these are different story. I went with tactile version - which should be comparable to cherrymx browns.

I find the keys quite stiff - comparing to both mx browns boards I have at home. I have to put more force (to extend that I realize it) into typing, my left ring finger started to hurt after couple days using it. The sound is much nicer (I find mx browns harsh and annoying now). I also find the K70 quiet "deep" comparing to low-profile loti now.

Also I find the mx mechanical keys too crammed, although the board is exactly same width as my qwerty part of k70. I don't like arrows inside the board and home/end button in that arrangement.

Athe the same time I can already feel my right arm extending too much after getting used to 70% layout over couple of days. TKL might be an answer.

TLDR: Has anyone tried and can comment on MX mechanical? Did I get spoiled by cherrymx browns, or are they not how are supposed to be? Are the logitech tactile too hard, or is it just me? Is the mx mechanical how it is supposed to be, and mxbrowns wrong?

Would you keep it or return, while I can?

Your K70 has years and years of wear on the switches, making them feel different from new. The MX Mini seems to be using some rubber dome chicklet design which is going to be a very different typing experience with a lot less key travel.

My personal subjective opinion would be to get something else but I have no direct recommendations for you.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Your K70 has years and years of wear on the switches, making them feel different from new. The MX Mini seems to be using some rubber dome chicklet design which is going to be a very different typing experience with a lot less key travel.

My personal subjective opinion would be to get something else but I have no direct recommendations for you.

Hello @Bananasplit_00, I bought the Mx Mechanical, not the keys (chiclet) from logitech.
I confused it in the original post, but have corrected it. I also put the picture in, just to be sure.

While it is true, that my k70 is quite old now. It has been like that since the day 1 - very light. I believe there is roughly 1 year between my and my brother's k70s and the difference has also been there from the very beginning.

I would also love your recommendations / tips.

6 hours ago, peterpepo said:

Hello @Bananasplit_00, I bought the Mx Mechanical, not the keys (chiclet) from logitech.
I confused it in the original post, but have corrected it. I also put the picture in, just to be sure.

While it is true, that my k70 is quite old now. It has been like that since the day 1 - very light. I believe there is roughly 1 year between my and my brother's k70s and the difference has also been there from the very beginning.

I would also love your recommendations / tips.

Well then it has low profile browns, they would probably be in the same style of switch, that is a light and subtly tactile switch but I would still expect those to feel quite different from worn in MX Browns.

Maybe look for a TKL with cherry browns? Or Gat browns, through my fingers they are fairly close. I don't really have much in the way of recommendations for prebuilts tho as I mostly do custom kits or just make my own boards fr scratch. Maybe look at getting a Varmilo board or maybe a hotswap 60% if you want to find the perfect switches

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016