Re: Linus’ Dad tech tip from WAN Show

seanondemand

Counterpoint!

We picked up the Nanit Pro baby monitor and it is the bomb. Both my and my partners’ folks live out of town and they loved being able to look in on baby as she woke up in the morning - but we could turn it off, ahem, as needed for privacy. Encrypted, restricted access for individual users, super easy hardware. We even hooked it up to a bunch of hotel wifi setups so we could hang out in a different room while she napped. Also the breathing tracking is super cool and nice piece of mind.

There’s definitely baby tech that didn’t work out for us, though. Baby never cared for the fancy bouncing 4moms bassinet with Bluetooth, and the while I would definitely recommend the Baby Brezza formula maker if you go formula, the wifi version is dumb and the wifi never really worked (and why would you need it?). Also, seeing as backpacks are tech now, just use a basic backpack, don’t drop top dollar on a baby bag. 

any other thoughts, fellow dads/moms?

Yea, I disagree on the point that audio is all you need for baby monitoring.  He talked about all the "creepy person coming through the baby monitor", but really if you change the default password and don't reuse your passwords I don't think that it ever has been an issue.

Actually, I'd argue it has a similar probability as some of the security camera's that you can install (with remote access) *coughs* eufy *coughs*

My sister has used her video for a good 6 years now, where a video is better than audio because they talk in their sleep so it's otherwise difficult to tell if they are actually awake and need attention or just having an active dream.

The reason for the 6 years as well, most people don't end up with just one kid...so you usually use it for the first few years, then the new kid comes and you have to reuse it again.  Then there is the case when you have babysitters and you want to check in on the babies sleeping, or as they get older making sure they are actually going to sleep (instead of staying up and playing)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

24 minutes ago, Erioch said:

Man, how did any of us survive before baby monitors?

It's all a simulation where they had activated god mode to keep us around, in actuality we wouldn't make it.

Joking aside though, it's more about a quality of life over keeping them alive.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

1 hour ago, Erioch said:

Man, how did any of us survive before baby monitors?

I’m pretty sure my parents used this exact one in the early ‘90s. 

469B3CCA-6D39-4CC6-BF75-4FA99BEBC39C.jpeg

21 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

I’m pretty sure my parents used this exact one in the early ‘90s. 

469B3CCA-6D39-4CC6-BF75-4FA99BEBC39C.jpeg

My brothers and I were born in the 60's.  There was nothing, let alone encrypted video and audio.

4 hours ago, Erioch said:

My brothers and I were born in the 60's.  There was nothing, let alone encrypted video and audio.

Back then they’d rub a little whiskey on your gums and you’d be out for a full 8

As a parent who pulled of a small stuffed animal from my 7 month olds face just 30 minutes ago, I like seeing her and if everything is alright.

On 10/16/2022 at 7:16 PM, seanondemand said:

Counterpoint!

We picked up the Nanit Pro baby monitor and it is the bomb. Both my and my partners’ folks live out of town and they loved being able to look in on baby as she woke up in the morning - but we could turn it off, ahem, as needed for privacy. Encrypted, restricted access for individual users, super easy hardware. We even hooked it up to a bunch of hotel wifi setups so we could hang out in a different room while she napped. Also the breathing tracking is super cool and nice piece of mind.

There’s definitely baby tech that didn’t work out for us, though. Baby never cared for the fancy bouncing 4moms bassinet with Bluetooth, and the while I would definitely recommend the Baby Brezza formula maker if you go formula, the wifi version is dumb and the wifi never really worked (and why would you need it?). Also, seeing as backpacks are tech now, just use a basic backpack, don’t drop top dollar on a baby bag. 

any other thoughts, fellow dads/moms?

Anything over Wi-Fi is vulnerable so personally don’t trust it personally. 

Most basic audio-only baby monitors these days use DECT, so its not completely open/unencrypted.

We use(d) a basic DECT monitor, plus an IP camera on our local network, controlled entirely by me, no cloud crap. Third child now, pretty happy with the results and agree more or less with linus' view.