GOOGLE PHOTOS TAKING MORE SPACE THAN ORIGINAL FILE

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

Windows uses multiples of 1,024 to show file size, so technically it is working with "Mebibyte" (MiB) rather than Megabyte.

170 MiB (x 1024 x 1024) is 178.257.920 byte.

Google is working with Megabyte, using multiples of 1,000. Which means to them 178.257.920 byte (/1000 /1000) is 178 MB.

Right click on the file in Windows, show properties. You should be able to see its size in byte. Compare that to the size (in byte) on Google, they should be the same. So the file is taking the same amount of space, it's simply that Microsoft and Google are using another factor to convert when representing large files.

I use google photos to backup my photos and videos. I have google one subscription. Everytime a photo or video back up in google photos it takes more space in google photos than in PC/mobile. For example I shoot a video which is 170 mb but in photos it is 178 mb. If I download that video it's again 170 mb. I have contacted google but it seems they even don't know about it. This problem is with every photo and video. Anyone knows anything about it?

Screenshot 2022-10-08 113244.png

Screenshot 2022-10-08 113328.png

Windows uses multiples of 1,024 to show file size, so technically it is working with "Mebibyte" (MiB) rather than Megabyte.

170 MiB (x 1024 x 1024) is 178.257.920 byte.

Google is working with Megabyte, using multiples of 1,000. Which means to them 178.257.920 byte (/1000 /1000) is 178 MB.

Right click on the file in Windows, show properties. You should be able to see its size in byte. Compare that to the size (in byte) on Google, they should be the same. So the file is taking the same amount of space, it's simply that Microsoft and Google are using another factor to convert when representing large files.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply