Wireless repeater

Kingslayer Kyle

Hello everyone,

Wondering if such a thing exists and if so could anybody could throw some recommendations out?

I'm looking for a Wi-Fi repeater

I have a huge ethernet cable that runs across the house

I'd like to make use of that cable to extend my wireless signal, but the cable ends at my PC which I'd still like to be wired for a faster connection

I know I could just use any old router but I don't want to use a new SSID, I'd prefer if the current signal was just extended in range so I don't need to keep switching between connections

So I basically need a repeater that also has an ethernet in and out.. can't seem to find this anywhere or at least somewhere that has this in the spec

Any help? Cheers

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | GPU: GTX 1080Ti | Case: Corsair 750D Airflow | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula VI | RAM: 16GB Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair AX860

SSD/HDD(s): SAMSUNG 850 EVO 120GB, SAMSUNG PM830 256GB, SEAGATE 6TB | Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-5280S CB-PLUS

3 minutes ago, Kingslayer Kyle said:

Hello everyone,

Wondering if such a thing exists and if so could anybody could throw some recommendations out?

I'm looking for a Wi-Fi repeater

I have a huge ethernet cable that runs across the house

I'd like to make use of that cable to extend my wireless signal, but the cable ends at my PC which I'd still like to be wired for a faster connection

I know I could just use any old router but I don't want to use a new SSID, I'd prefer if the current signal was just extended in range so I don't need to keep switching between connections

So I basically need a repeater that also has an ethernet in and out.. can't seem to find this anywhere or at least somewhere that has this in the spec

Any help? Cheers

You're probably better off getting a cheap switch and putting the repeater and your PC into their own ports on the switch. 

As for a wifi repeater, what's your wifi router?  That may depend on what type of repeater or access point you want to buy. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

Just now, LapsedMemory said:

You're probably better off getting a cheap switch and putting the repeater and your PC into their own ports on the switch. 

As for a wifi repeater, what's your wifi router?  That may depend on what type of repeater or access point you want to buy. 

I actually never thought of that as a solution lmao but that actually works quite well

My current router is just from my ISP it's a BT one

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | GPU: GTX 1080Ti | Case: Corsair 750D Airflow | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula VI | RAM: 16GB Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair AX860

SSD/HDD(s): SAMSUNG 850 EVO 120GB, SAMSUNG PM830 256GB, SEAGATE 6TB | Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-5280S CB-PLUS

Just now, Kingslayer Kyle said:

I actually never thought of that as a solution lmao but that actually works quite well

My current router is just from my ISP it's a BT one

If you don't want to use a new SSID and want to keep everything clean and simple, then replacing (or bypassing) your router with a new one that has option wired APs is you easiest option.  A simple  wifi repeater won't be able to use the same SSIDs as your  main wifi router.  

To do what you want, you're going to want to look into a mesh network with a wired backhaul.  Here's a descent list of them:

Best mesh Wi-Fi routers with Ethernet backhaul | Windows Central

You can either plug in the router and keep all the mesh access points strictly wireless, or plug the mesh access point into the network cable for a hardwire link.  These have the added benefit of doing seemless access point handoff and band steering so 1 SSID for your entire house.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

As an additional note:  Any mesh network system will work if you don't care about wired connections between the access points.  Just look for a Wifi 6 router with optional repeaters such as this:

https://smile.amazon.com/WiFi-6-Router-Gigabit-Wireless/dp/B08H8ZLKKK

Amazon.com: TP-Link: Range Extenders

the only way to reliably get the same SSID from two access points without things potentially interfering is to get two matching AP's (or at least matching enough that they will understand that they're sharing the SSID.)

past that.. just buy a 5-port gigabit switch and stick that next to your PC. 5-port gigabit switches are so cheap that you'll probably save money compared to a device that'll do both functions in one, and this way you can at least mount the WAP somewhere it has good coverage.

Any decent access point will automatically detect channels being used by other access points near by and use different channels. Put a switch and an access point and set the SSID and password the same as your main one and your devices will automatically switch between the two based on signal strength. You could also buy a combo switch/access point such as the ubiquiti unifi 6 in wall. The unifi ac pro also has two ports.

Hi. it will depend on your budget.

My personal recommendation would be a mesh system combined with an affordable switch. 

Personally, dont like using the ISP provided modem/router combo as they are weaker compared to a 3rd party router.

if your low on budget tp-link deco S4/m4 with a tplink 4 port switch will be a good buy on the other hand I think the deco x20 price might have fallen as well.

if you have no budget in mind Orbit, Ubiquiti mesh systems will be good at higher price point. 

I used to have multiple repeaters at home but switch to a mesh system since will only have 1 SSID plus it automally handsoff the connection to the nearest node. 

You can technically set up a wifi repeater to have the same SSID but it is not ideal..

Also most Wifi repeater will have 2 lan ports, 1 for hardwiring them to the router and 2nd to connect a device like a computer.