Can't reset CPU overclock

Hello. For some reason my Ryzen 5 5600X is overclocked from 3700Mhz to 4500Mhz and is running hot cause of it. Whenever I launch certain games, my computer restarts itself. I have tried multiple different ways to reset the overclock, but none have worked. If someone could help me reset it, I would be thankful.

3 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

did you use ryzen master? or BIOS to overclock it?

I don't remember ever overclocking it. I have checked Ryzen Master and the BIOS and they both say there in the default configuration.

That is odd. You could try undervolting in the bios to help with the heating issue. My 3700x runs at 4.3 at 1.3v when it normally runs at like 1.45 if I let it run on its own. Also they do have a boost clock, that's when you put the CPU under load it will boost to a certain frequency.

Some other things I wanted to make sure of as well. What cooler do you have? How much thermal paste? Is the cooler screwed down completely so its making good contact with the CPU?

18 minutes ago, CarsonReynolds said:

Hello. For some reason my Ryzen 5 5600X is overclocked from 3700Mhz to 4500Mhz and is running hot cause of it. Whenever I launch certain games, my computer restarts itself. I have tried multiple different ways to reset the overclock, but none have worked. If someone could help me reset it, I would be thankful.

3.7 base, 4.5 boost. Also, what do you consider hot? There was a guy here earlier this week that was terrified to have anything ever go above 50C because that's what the max operating temp of his 80286 chip from 1982 was. Took every milligram of teacher energy in me to help reassure him that his 3090 wasn't going to catch fire and release the magic blue smoke if it went above 50C.

Just now, BiotechBen said:

3.7 base, 4.5 boost. Also, what do you consider hot? There was a guy here earlier this week that was terrified to have anything ever go above 50C because that's what the max operating temp of his 80286 chip from 1982 was. Took every milligram of teacher energy in me to help reassure him that his 3090 wasn't going to catch fire and release the magic blue smoke if it went above 50C.

That's too funny, I think the biggest thing for me is when he talks about his system restarting.

11 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

That is odd. You could try undervolting in the bios to help with the heating issue. My 3700x runs at 4.3 at 1.3v when it normally runs at like 1.45 if I let it run on its own. Also they do have a boost clock, that's when you put the CPU under load it will boost to a certain frequency.

Some other things I wanted to make sure of as well. What cooler do you have? How much thermal paste? Is the cooler screwed down completely so its making good contact with the CPU?

I have a EKWB Basic 240 AIO with 2 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM. I used a little over a pea sized amount of thermal paste and the cooler is screwed down completely.

4 minutes ago, CarsonReynolds said:

I have a EKWB Basic 240 AIO with 2 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM. I used a little over a pea sized amount of thermal paste and the cooler is screwed down completely.

Yeah that is a tough one, maybe try undervolting it for now with ryzen master to tune it and once you get it all figured out apply it to the bios. I will have to look into this more to see if I can find anything

EDIT: You may also go into bios and turn off precision boosting and see what that does. It will hurt some of your performance but monitor the temps and see what it does

34 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

Yeah that is a tough one, maybe try undervolting it for now with ryzen master to tune it and once you get it all figured out apply it to the bios. I will have to look into this more to see if I can find anything

EDIT: You may also go into bios and turn off precision boosting and see what that does. It will hurt some of your performance but monitor the temps and see what it does

I turned off precision boosting before I posted the question. My clock speed is currently jumping back and fourth from 3675Mhz to 4525Mhz while just having a browser open.

1 hour ago, BiotechBen said:

There was a guy here earlier this week that was terrified to have anything ever go above 50C because that's what the max operating temp of his 80286 chip from 1982 was. Took every milligram of teacher energy in me to help reassure him that his 3090 wasn't going to catch fire and release the magic blue smoke if it went above 50C.

1326281402_download(3).jpeg.8184a51fd4b8e3a3f6436bf2eefae11a.jpeg

1982 was 40 years ago ffs ya think computers dont evolve overtime? Besides now ryzen 7000 runs 95c and apparently thats normal

Try set a static 4.2g 1.2v in bios with static multi and volt, that should stop the freq and volt jumping around

6 hours ago, CarsonReynolds said:

What motherboard do you have?

I would try defaulting the bios settings, then enabling DCOP, and PBO.

Next time it crashes, pull up even viewer and see if you can find any errors relating to the crash. Post a screenshot here if you find anything.

On 10/1/2022 at 2:18 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

1326281402_download(3).jpeg.8184a51fd4b8e3a3f6436bf2eefae11a.jpeg

1982 was 40 years ago ffs ya think computers dont evolve overtime? Besides now ryzen 7000 runs 95c and apparently thats normal

Try set a static 4.2g 1.2v in bios with static multi and volt, that should stop the freq and volt jumping around

Setting the frequency to 4.2g and 1.2v helped with the CPU frequency jumping around, but my computer still just crashed. After looking more into it to, my temperature isn't a problem. 

On 10/1/2022 at 7:03 AM, StarsMars said:

What motherboard do you have?

I would try defaulting the bios settings, then enabling DCOP, and PBO.

Next time it crashes, pull up even viewer and see if you can find any errors relating to the crash. Post a screenshot here if you find anything.

I have a NZXT B550. After looking at the event viewer, the source for crashing is "Kernel-Power".

On 10/3/2022 at 7:35 PM, CarsonReynolds said:

I have a NZXT B550. After looking at the event viewer, the source for crashing is "Kernel-Power".

image.thumb.png.078350a0e5613e7f0e01a505bab71acc.pngWhat power plan do you have?

You should have ryzen power plans. Please choose balanced. If you don't have the Ryzen power plans, you can get them from here along with your chipset drivers

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550