I don't understand why most professional video editors edit (or want to) from a NAS. Did i miss something?

Awman
2 hours ago, Awman said:

But why would editors have to work in parallel on a same project exactly? 

You have multiple editors, sound people, colourists who all are working on different parts of the same project at the same and different times.  Some people are remote, others on the high speed network.  

People work at different speeds and different parts of projects can have variable time frames so reassigning workloads dynamically is preferable.

But you have deadlines to meet so having multiple people work on the same thing to get it done quicker.  

23 hours ago, Awman said:

"Data lives in one location that everyone can access, that is essentially backed up at all times."

> Same goes with a NAS used jsut for archive/backup and editing from internal Nvme

Editing from the NAS means one project - and the back up, both on the NAS.

What you're describing is a separate file on an individual editing workstation, that also has to be backed up to a central NAS. Rather than editing a single file on a NAS, your process expects X number of workstations to consistently re-transfer/back-up the project and any assets in case someone else has to do work on it. 

4 hours ago, Awman said:

But why would editors have to work in parallel on a same project exactly? That i don't get. That's exactly among the things i'm trying to understand.

If "I" have to edit of, for example, a wedding, why would anyone other than "me" work on that same project, at the same time? What other editors working with me, could do on the same project, that i can't do/would need someone else to do? As for the color grading part, that i mentioned also previously, it's a task that, for myself, makes much more sense to do once the final project is done, not in parallel.

Everyone has different skills and/or specialties. Depending on the project and scope, someone adding overlays, or doing color work might not be the same person trimming clips or dealing with sound. Sure, there might be some editors that can probably take a project from ingest to complete, but the larger the operation, and having many editors with their own specific project files on many different workstations, and keeping track of what is where and what has been backed up or transferred or completed would be needlessly complicated.

This can be mitigated with a workflow that obviously studios will have developed, but the benefit of the centralized aspect of editing off of one location instead of several is still clear. Rather than completing your task, or adding your assets to your own files, and then transferring to the NAS so someone can download it, and then begin their part of the process, just a time sink of back and forth. The speed gain of the NVMe (if there even is one) is undone by the extra overhead of tracking tasks and file transfers.

4 hours ago, Awman said:

Also, freelancer often chose too edit from their NAS... so there's no parallel tasks between multiple editors for them...

For a single individual, or even a couple people, there's a less obvious benefit, but it's still more logical in my head this way as well.

In most cases, a NAS setup has large storage headroom with redundancy built-in when it is initially configured. This means simply ingesting to the NAS builds in some protection. And, with ingesting or even downloading that file from your NAS, you're creating the need for immediate manual transfers once you're finished editing for the day, or using solutions to automatically backup your files from the PC you're editing from.