First time building a PC, is my build good? and will everything fit together?

Divinitize

Budget (including currency): 3000-4000$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Competitive gaming, video editing.

Other details: Mainly looking to create a build that will serve me well and give me good FPS in games for many years to come. (3-5 years)
Question: Do you think it would be better to upgrade to AM5 or Intel 13th gen? And would it be better to wait and get the 4090 instead of the 3090? 

Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Lt7VC6
image.png.85c6d2553d469365b0a00f0e3d147209.png

For your budget, I'd definitely wait for 13th gen and RX 7000 series launch. 

If 13th gen doesn't work out, at least there is 5800x3d to fall back on.

RX 7000 series is quite promising, hopefully they will be the top dog of this generation, screw Nvidia.

Current gen is great too, don't get me wrong, 5800X3D is still very impressive, RTX 3090 Ti/RX 6950 XT is still very powerful, but the next gen first offerings will be even better, all be it at higher prices.

If you don't need bleeding edge and fine with great gaming experience, build now, if you want it to be the best money can buy and the best gaming experiece, wait for next gen everything.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x2Wk8r

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($399.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler  ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 530 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($239.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Zotac AMP Extreme Core Holo GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24 GB Video Card  ($1149.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case  ($169.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair LL120 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack  ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2674.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-30 03:24 EDT-0400

Saved you 700$, did NOT get lower quality components and the computer is going to be noticeably faster

It would be better to wait for the Raptor Lake gaming reviews. Maybe even until an X3D 7000 cpu. Is released.

The posted build spends a lot on uncooperative bling. Given an Asus motherboard any RGB and A-RGB should be Aura Sync compatible.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The 5800X3D is excellent for gaming, but fall a bit behind on content creation even relative to the 5700X, so it might be worth considering the 7000 series or the 5900X in stead. Depending on where your focus is. The 5900X is still good for gaming, but much better at content creation. 

If you will be going for the RTX 4090 I would definitely recommend you go for a ATX 3.0 PSU as it has the proper power cables in stead of relying on adapters. You can find them out in PCpp by setting the "PCIE 12+4-PIN 12VHPWR CONNECTORS" to min. 1. The selection are quite slim atm. but they are on the rise.

X570 motherboards aren't really needed unless you need more PCIe4.0 options, or are doing extreme OC. So as jaslion has suggested, a good B550 board is sufficient and will save you money

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

The 7000 series amds will have a new socket so if you go with the 5000 series you caannot upgrade without having to buy a new MB. the rest of the build is great!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n8sTNc

Price is now 2k with no noticable performance diffs

Cut the aio for a far cheaper aircooler that performs the same, if you really need the cooling then buy a liquid freezer as those decimate everything aside from ek aios which perform similarly

Dark hero is pretty mid, crushed by aorus master and unify x in overclocking due to its absolutely terrible ram topology (even a b550mh does 5000 which that board can only do 4600) so its basically just an x570 proart but worse and more expensive, swapped for a b550 aorus pro v2 since thats pretty much all the i/o most ppl would need. If you need dual usbc get an x570s aero g, if you need wifi or an extra high speed usba port get the b550 aorus pro ac

Ram will literally not make a difference here because of the massive cache so if you were considering faster rams dont bother, besides fast ram is overclocking exclusive anyways (you literally cant even buy your way in, 4000+ bins have atrocious subtimings = terrible performance and bdie bins like 3200 cl14 have meh xmp timings at best vs oced) and ocing ram is insanity inducing so prob wanna stay away from that

Cheaper same performance gen4

Cheaper same performance gpu (you can buy used ones for <800$ btw)

Case is personal choice but i cheaped out on that, and if you wont be using teh lighting zones of those ll fans then theyre useless garbage and you are better off buying cheaper fans like the p12 0db argb or p120 argb (which will obliterate those lls in performance cause arctic has similar performance to noctua)

Cheaper 1000w platinum

3 hours ago, Divinitize said:

Budget (including currency): 3000-4000$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Competitive gaming, video editing.

Other details: Mainly looking to create a build that will serve me well and give me good FPS in games for many years to come. (3-5 years)
Question: Do you think it would be better to upgrade to AM5 or Intel 13th gen? And would it be better to wait and get the 4090 instead of the 3090? 

Here is my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Lt7VC6
image.png.85c6d2553d469365b0a00f0e3d147209.png

I also want to build a gaming pc, but I am on a budget, so next gen isn't really an option for me. But, with your budget, you should definetly wait for next gen to pump up!
After the comparison's are real of AMD 7000 CPU's and INTEL 13000 series, you decide where to go, but also you can grab a DDR5 memory and perhaps a 408016gb or wait until November to check RDNA3 and bang, you outperformed your current parts for that build.

6 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n8sTNc

Price is now 2k with no noticable performance diffs

Cut the aio for a far cheaper aircooler that performs the same, if you really need the cooling then buy a liquid freezer as those decimate everything aside from ek aios which perform similarly

Dark hero is pretty mid, crushed by aorus master and unify x in overclocking due to its absolutely terrible ram topology (even a b550mh does 5000 which that board can only do 4600) so its basically just an x570 proart but worse and more expensive, swapped for a b550 aorus pro v2 since thats pretty much all the i/o most ppl would need. If you need dual usbc get an x570s aero g, if you need wifi or an extra high speed usba port get the b550 aorus pro ac

Ram will literally not make a difference here because of the massive cache so if you were considering faster rams dont bother, besides fast ram is overclocking exclusive anyways (you literally cant even buy your way in, 4000+ bins have atrocious subtimings = terrible performance and bdie bins like 3200 cl14 have meh xmp timings at best vs oced) and ocing ram is insanity inducing tso prob wanna stay away from that

Cheaper same performance gen4

Cheaper same performance gpu (you can buy used ones for <800$ btw)

Case is personal choice but i cheaped out on that, and if you wont be using teh lighting zones of those ll fans then theyre useless garbage and you are better off buying cheaper fans like the p12 0db argb or p120 argb (which will obliterate those lls in performance cause arctic has similar performance to noctua)

Cheaper 1000w platinum

After reading the thread I'm thinking about probably switching the 5800x3d to an intel 13th gen, is there a motherboard you can recommend? and will me choosing a different cpu effect how well the cpu cooler you chose performs?

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x2Wk8r

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($399.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler  ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 530 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($239.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Zotac AMP Extreme Core Holo GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24 GB Video Card  ($1149.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case  ($169.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2674.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-30 03:24 EDT-0400

Saved you 700$, did NOT get lower quality components and the computer is going to be noticeably faster

I've heard bad things about zotac cards so I wasn't confident about buying one, would there be a difference between going for an evga card and a zotac one? or would they be the same and I have just been hearing nonsense

9 minutes ago, Divinitize said:

After reading the thread I'm thinking about probably switching the 5800x3d to an intel 13th gen, is there a motherboard you can recommend? and will me choosing a different cpu effect how well the cpu cooler you chose performs?

If all you do is game then the 5800x3d is superior but if you think you may make use of those ecores then 13th gen all the way

Lower end board <200$, z690a pro/ud/steel legend are good choices. If you need boatloads of usba and dual usbc rear i/o look at the z690 aero g, ignore any overclocking buzzwords as good vrms on z690 are a dime a dozen

ram overclocking exists but i assume you wanna keep your sanity as ram oc will drive you insane if having to like really really look around for details (what ics to pick, what are the characteristics of that specific ic, what timings actually make a diff to performance def not primaries btw, ram oc characteristics of your board or a similar board, etc.) Isnt enough to drive you away, oh and decent topologies are also a dime a dozen anyways and most should be able to do atleast 5000

Not sure if z790 will be worth it since its too early to tell but if its just incremental likely not noticable upgrades then just get z690

1 hour ago, Divinitize said:

I've heard bad things about zotac cards so I wasn't confident about buying one, would there be a difference between going for an evga card and a zotac one? or would they be the same and I have just been hearing nonsense

Zotac's usually been a top tier manufacturer. Keep in mind this is a 3090TI not a 3090 like the evga was. Evga cards seem to have gone up in value after the announcement that they are no longer going to make gpu's.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Zotac's usually been a top tier manufacturer. Keep in mind this is a 3090TI not a 3090 like the evga was. Evga cards seem to have gone up in value after the announcement that they are no longer going to make gpu's.

so, about the build you sent, i plan on buying a 4090 instead of the 3090, do you think it would be worth it for me and if so would the build you made still work if i replaced the 3090ti with a 4090

9 minutes ago, Divinitize said:

so, about the build you sent, i plan on buying a 4090 instead of the 3090, do you think it would be worth it for me and if so would the build you made still work if i replaced the 3090ti with a 4090

Don't know and it should.

Wait for reviews basically. Buying the best card on the market is always a bad idea as it's value very quickly tanks when the next gen comes out and for the money of that card you can buy 1-2 tiers down and get an amzing gpu and then 2-3 years later again.

21 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Don't know and it should.

Wait for reviews basically. Buying the best card on the market is always a bad idea as it's value very quickly tanks when the next gen comes out and for the money of that card you can buy 1-2 tiers down and get an amzing gpu and then 2-3 years later again.

alright, i think that the 3090ti would be better fitting towards my budget so i can spend more money on other things in my setup, could you make a build for a 7900x with a 3090ti? i think upgrading to an am5 socket would be better towards future-proofing my computer so i dont have to upgrade my motherboard when i do choose to upgrade

19 minutes ago, Divinitize said:

alright, i think that the 3090ti would be better fitting towards my budget so i can spend more money on other things in my setup, could you make a build for a 7900x with a 3090ti?

If you wanna wait till nov 3 amd is launching their rx7000.

Otherwise if you are budget focused a bit the rx 6900xt is by far the best value of the top of the line gpu's atm.

Any reason for the 7900x? It's a big step over the 5800x3d.

Oh also fun thing microcenter has a deal atm where if you buy a amd board and ram you get a 32gb kit of ddr5 5600mhz ram for free so might wanna have a look at that.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F9bZrD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($584.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.0) ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $904.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-30 17:48 EDT-0400

I don't recommend it rn because the boards are incredibly overpriced for what they are. ONLY if you get the deal of the ddr5 does it balance out and not be a overpriced buy.

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If you wanna wait till nov 3 amd is launching their rx7000.

Otherwise if you are budget focused a bit the rx 6900xt is by far the best value of the top of the line gpu's atm.

Any reason for the 7900x? It's a big step over the 5800x3d.

Oh also fun thing microcenter has a deal atm where if you buy a amd board and ram you get a 32gb kit of ddr5 5600mhz ram for free so might wanna have a look at that.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F9bZrD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($584.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.0) ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $904.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-30 17:48 EDT-0400

I don't recommend it rn because the boards are incredibly overpriced for what they are. ONLY if you get the deal of the ddr5 does it balance out and not be a overpriced buy.

well, the main reason for the 7900x is because if they release more am5 socket CPUS I won't have to buy a motherboard when the time comes, however if you think its overpriced I may stick with the 5800x3d for now, also is the first build you sent the best performing you can get for my budget atm? im also worried about the air cooler, i've heard they arent as good as aio's, should i upgrade the air cooler to an aio? or is there a better air cooler i could get? sorry if I have a lot of questions, im new to building my own pc and I just want to make sure im getting the best performance for my price

9 hours ago, Divinitize said:

i've heard they arent as good as aio's, should i upgrade the air cooler to an aio? or is there a better air cooler i could get? sorry if I have a lot of questions, im new to building my own pc and I just want to make sure im getting the best performance for my price

Watercooling is aircooling with extra steps. Instead of heatpipes thry use water to get the heat to their fins that are then cooled by air.

The sycthe is better than almost all 280mm aio's and a lot of 360mm aio's whilst costing less and being very quiet. It has no problem cooling a 5800x3d. The 7900x is too untested to know as it seems to run very hot regardless of the cooler on it but also strangely always in the same range and performance.

So either the coolers are handling it fine or there is some voltage trickery.

The build I made is the most sensible whilst lowring the price a lot and increasing performance.

If you want to build now now and want the new ryzens go take advantage of the microcenter bundle that balances out the wayyyyy overpriced motherboard and earlt adopter tax decently.

Id also get a 800$ 6900xt and call it a day there. Its top 3 best gpus on the planet but costs a lot less. If you dont care about spending that 3090ti is there or if you wanna wait the rx7000 series launches in 33 days.

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Watercooling is aircooling with extra steps. Instead of heatpipes thry use water to get the heat to their fins that are then cooled by air.

The sycthe is better than almost all 280mm aio's and a lot of 360mm aio's whilst costing less and being very quiet. It has no problem cooling a 5800x3d. The 7900x is too untested to know as it seems to run very hot regardless of the cooler on it but also strangely always in the same range and performance.

So either the coolers are handling it fine or there is some voltage trickery.

The build I made is the most sensible whilst lowring the price a lot and increasing performance.

If you want to build now now and want the new ryzens go take advantage of the microcenter bundle that balances out the wayyyyy overpriced motherboard and earlt adopter tax decently.

Id also get a 800$ 6900xt and call it a day there. Its top 3 best gpus on the planet but costs a lot less. If you dont care about spending that 3090ti is there or if you wanna wait the rx7000 series launches in 33 days.

Okay, I think I'll wait till the rx7000s come out and while that happens hopefully the benchmarks and tests for the 7900x or an i9-13900k are out by then. My question is since the rx7000 is probably going to pull more power then the last gen of gpus, would it effect the thermals at all or no  (i know it's not out yet so you cant tell but if you were to give a prediction)

11 minutes ago, Divinitize said:

Okay, I think I'll wait till the rx7000s come out and while that happens hopefully the benchmarks and tests for the 7900x or an i9-13900k are out by then. My question is since the rx7000 is probably going to pull more power then the last gen of gpus, would it effect the thermals at all or no  (i know it's not out yet so you cant tell but if you were to give a prediction)

If it consumes more power then normally it does make more heat. Case is totally fine tho for that.