Ryzen 7000 or Ryzen 5000 for new build

bover21

Budget (including currency): 650 to 700 euro (CPU + RAM + MOBO only) 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

A combination of gaming and programming, as well as some light 3D modeling. 

Work:

• Jetbrains product (Intellij, Pycharm, Clion)
  • Docker
  • WSL
  • Fusion 360

Hobby:

• Blender (light work)
  • Unreal Engine (as hobby sometimes, small worlds, light stuff)

Gaming:

• Overwatch
  • League
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • The Witcher
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hitman (1-2-3)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Warzone

Other details

I am currently (still) running an i7 4790k with 16 GB of ddr3 ram at 1866 MT, with a 1080 as my GPU. My CPU seems to be the bottleneck in many games that I play these days because I am a heavy multitasker and Chrome tab hoarder. I've been wanting to upgrade for some time, but because the build still uses DDR3, an upgrade has always been expensive, as it would require a change of CPU + MOBO + RAM. And there is essentially no practical or reasonable upgrade from the i7 4790k within the same memory generation.

The initial goal was to upgrade somewhere in 2020, but with the prices of chips around that, time I was not prepared to spend that much money for a new chip. Prices have since come down, and everything is now somewhat affordable again. However, the launch of ryzen 7000 has brought something of a dilemma. The AM4 platform is now discontinued (as in no new chips will be made for this platform) but CPU's and board for this platform are significantly cheaper than for AM5. The dilemma is, do I go for more performance for my money today, but be stuck in a dead-end platform again? Or do I settle for a little bit less performance, but with an upgrade path for the next 2-3 years?

These are the options (all builds will use the 1080 as GPU):

1. AMD RYZEN 7 5800X (320,00) + 64 GB of DDR4 memory @ 3600 MT (250,00) = 570 euro

2. AMD RYZEN 7 5700X (280,00) + 64 GB of DDR4 memory @ 3600 MT (250,00) = 530 euro

3. AMD RYZEN 7 7600X (360,00) + 32 GB of DDR5 memory @ 5600 MT (225,00) = 585 euro

The 5800x and 5700x do technically still have an upgrade path to the 5950x or 5800x3D, so it is not entirely dead-end.

Any advice?

Frankly I’d stick with Intel and grab a 12700f, 64gb of DDR4, and a Gigabyte B660 Gaming X AX board. Better than going with a dead platform or spending a *ton* of money to early-adopt AM5.

Realistically I'd be waiting the month for Raptor Lake and B650 boards to release before fully deciding, since motherboard pricing on AM5 are currently ridiculous (~$300 for the motherboard is about as cheap as you can get) and Raptor Lake is looking like it will be pretty competitive with Zen 4 but Z690 boards are significantly cheaper. 

I'd probably skip Ryzen 7000 this generation unless you're planning on going for the 7900X or 7950X, the lower core count chips don't make a ton of sense at their current platform pricing in comparison to 12th gen Intel and AM4 stuff (remember, AM4 boards are about half the price of their AM5 counterparts).