First PC build, is it any good? For CAD and 1080p AAA gaming

Budget (including currency): $1100 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

System mainly geared towards 3D modeling and drafting (my degree/ job) but I do also game

Programs

- AutoCAD Inventor 

- CAD Mechanical 

- Solidworks

- Fusion 360

Games

- GTA

- BO3

- Sprocket

- Other AAA titles 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Note:

Resolution on my best monitor is 144hz at 1080p

I don't care about RGB stuff, I'm most concerned about it al running within an acceptable temperature.

I already have:

GPU: EVGA 3070

PSU: Gigabyte GP-P850GM 

All Peripherals and Storage, as well as a wifi card

Proposed Parts List: 

CPU: i7-1200kf

RAM: DDR5 5600 32 Corsair Vengeance

MBD: Asus Prime Z690-P 

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax

Case Fan 1: NF-P14s x5
Case Fan 2: NF-P12s x1
Case: Celesta 340f

Peripherals:

Already have all that I need.

Upgrading from:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

RAM: DDR4 32GB 3000

PSU: 650W

Questions:

Is this a sensible build in general?

Is this a good build for both CAD and some gaming?

If not, what should I change?

Is there anything I'm missing?

Is it a good idea to upgrade to DDR5 for future proofing?

Did I go overboard on the case fans?

Is the AZZA Celesta 340f a good case?

Is the NH-D15 enough to cool a 12th gen i7?

If I have a NZXT H510 Flow, would that be enough cooling paired with the Noctua fans?

Are there any apps I should install to monitor my pc, or that are good to have?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears, as this is my first pc build.

A link to the Google Sheets I used https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11nYEl3sLiKN6RytecBiWaWUYyO4fr2FNpnwZJX6g4ic/edit#gid=0

Urrrm the Gigabyte GP-P850GM is the legendary exploding PSU I think 🥵, maybe it's fixed now, but rather get another one

The rest is nice, the NH-D15 is more or less the best aircooler in existence, it'll be fine, you could even get a cheaper one like CM AK620

And you could save $$$ by using cheaper fans as case fans, $5 ones will do mostly the same job, or buy a case that has some.

I didn't know your case, it looks nice but expensive given it has no fans, a Corsair 4000 or Phanteks G360 are roughly same price or less, and have some

As for monitoring softwares, the big 3 are

• HWInfo64
  • CPU Z
  • GPU Z

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

As a CAD system that will run pretty well.  The 3070, while not a CAD card, will perform admirably in that area and allow you better performance in gaming than a CAD card would.  

DDR5 is a tricky one.  I know it's not really worth the money now so general rule of thumb is never to buy on promises.  Save yourself the money, get some fast DDR4 and call it a day.  It's more than good enough for what you're doing, and you aren't going to be changing it for quite a few years.  32GB MINIMUM for heavier CAD work, and expand to 64GB if you start running into problems.  

If you don't need to build this immediately, wait for the intel 13 series to drop and reviews to come in.  If nothing else you should be able to pick up a 12th gen cheaper.

If you've got a good backup solution, get yourself a pair of good M.2 1TB drives and RAID0 them.  CAD is mostly handled in RAM but for larger assemblies, it can end up using the pagefile on your hard drive.  Having that be as fast as possible is a good idea.  If you don't have a good backup like a NAS, then a single fast M.2 will suffice.  

Your case fans are definitely overkill.  You're saving $20 on your case, then spending >$100 on fans.  Just spend a little more on a case that includes fans and save yourself some money.  You will probably be able to get away with the Corsair 4000D case without any additional case fans.  You can always add 1 or 2 more in later and still save some money.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Urrrm the Gigabyte GP-P850GM is the legendary exploding PSU I think 🥵, maybe it's fixed now, but rather get another one

The rest is nice, the NH-D15 is more or less the best aircooler in existence, it'll be fine, you could even get a cheaper one like CM AK620

And you could save $$$ by using cheaper fans as case fans, $5 ones will do mostly the same job, or buy a case that has some.

I didn't know your case, it looks nice but expensive given it has no fans, a Corsair 4000 or Phanteks G360 are roughly same price or less, and have some

As for monitoring softwares, the big 3 are

• HWInfo64
  • CPU Z
  • GPU Z

Just looked, and it is the exploding PSU. As a replacement, which is better, an EVGA 850GR 850 80+ Gold, or Corsair RM850 80+ Gold?

What's a good FPM flow rate? It seems like 50 is about the average, but I don't know.

What would be considered loud for a fan, by the way? I don't have a reference for that.

On the topic of cases, what do you think about the CoolerMaster NR600? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJ18S78/ref=asc_df_B07PJ18S781664467200000?tag=georiot-us-default-20&ascsubtag=wp-us-4211842495157570600-20&geniuslink=true

1 hour ago, LapsedMemory said:

As a CAD system that will run pretty well.  The 3070, while not a CAD card, will perform admirably in that area and allow you better performance in gaming than a CAD card would.  

DDR5 is a tricky one.  I know it's not really worth the money now so general rule of thumb is never to buy on promises.  Save yourself the money, get some fast DDR4 and call it a day.  It's more than good enough for what you're doing, and you aren't going to be changing it for quite a few years.  32GB MINIMUM for heavier CAD work, and expand to 64GB if you start running into problems.  

If you don't need to build this immediately, wait for the intel 13 series to drop and reviews to come in.  If nothing else you should be able to pick up a 12th gen cheaper.

If you've got a good backup solution, get yourself a pair of good M.2 1TB drives and RAID0 them.  CAD is mostly handled in RAM but for larger assemblies, it can end up using the pagefile on your hard drive.  Having that be as fast as possible is a good idea.  If you don't have a good backup like a NAS, then a single fast M.2 will suffice.  

Your case fans are definitely overkill.  You're saving $20 on your case, then spending >$100 on fans.  Just spend a little more on a case that includes fans and save yourself some money.  You will probably be able to get away with the Corsair 4000D case without any additional case fans.  You can always add 1 or 2 more in later and still save some money.

I'll look into some faster DDR4. Any suggestions there? What speed/ manufacturer? 

I don't need to immediately, so it's probably a good idea to wait. What 13th gen chip would go well for the CAD this system would be capable of? I've heard Intel is the way to go for CAD, is that true, considering the latest releases from AMD and Intel.

If the 12th gen i9 prices came down to about the same level as the 12th gen i7s, would I benefit from getting an i9 instead of the i7?

I have no idea how to RAID0 anything, and I don't have a NAS, so I'll stick to the M.2 I have. If I were to upgrade, though, what would be a good 1 or 2Tb choice?

That's a good point, and a reason I posted here. I'm thinking of getting a CoolerMaster NR600 instead, which comes with two fans. Is that a good choice? If not, what's a suggestion you have on a case that's <$130, and has good airflow?

48 minutes ago, Definitely not BB62 said:

Just looked, and it is the exploding PSU. As a replacement, which is better, an EVGA 850GR 850 80+ Gold, or Corsair RM850 80+ Gold?

What's a good FPM flow rate? It seems like 50 is about the average, but I don't know.

What would be considered loud for a fan, by the way? I don't have a reference for that.

On the topic of cases, what do you think about the CoolerMaster NR600? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJ18S78/ref=asc_df_B07PJ18S781664467200000?tag=georiot-us-default-20&ascsubtag=wp-us-4211842495157570600-20&geniuslink=true

I can recommend the Corsair RM850x, got one, works perfect

50 CFM (think it's what you called FPM..) is a decent rate, and anyway high fan airflow means hi fan speed and hi noise level... the case fans just helps pushing cool air in/hot air out, you don't need a to create a gale 🙂

To me up to 35dB is quiet, 35-40 okay, above 40 it becomes loud; usually set case fans to say 1000 to 1200rpm and you'll be good, the thing doing the main job is the CPU cooler

The CM NR600 looks fine, not my style but ok, not sure it's sold with more than one fan tho

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones