Need advice on upgrading my current system.

Budget (including currency): about two to three thousand Turkish Liras, maybe more if I go searching in my couch cushions(as if).

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1080p 60fps gaming, VR gaming, mild content creation.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Currently I have a system consisting of:

• i7-6700 non-K,
  • Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
  • GTX 1660S 6GB,
  • 16 GB of 3000MHz CL16 memory
  • 512 gig Kioxia M.2 NVMe SSD
  • and about 2 TB of other HDD storage

My question was if an upgrade to an i3-10105F would make sense, seeing as how it's got the same core and thread count but a higher base and boost clock, and it's still within budget if I were to upgrade to a new motherboard, but I'd have to source a new mounting bracket for my cooler.

Would the higher base clock provide a noticeable performance increase, or would it be negligible?

Would I have better luck going team red?

I didn't list my motherboard because either way I go I'll have to upgrade it anyway.

Switching over to AMD would be preferable because I already have an am4 mounting mechanism for my cooler.

I've already been thinking about switching out my motherboard because I am having issues with the USB3.0 ports in the back that I use for my Mouse and VR headset, the drivers just fail and sometimes they don't even work when trying to play

VR unless I uninstall them and do some hacky work-arounds.

So, what should I do?

The i3-10105F is a 4 Core, 8 Thread processor.
I wouldn't recommend still buying a Quad core. Games now get optimized for more than 4 cores because of the current gen 8 core PlayStation and Xbox.
I would buy a used Ryzen 3600 or 3700x. (also still gives you a good upgrade path)

18 minutes ago, djboy6480 said:

The i3-10105F is a 4 Core, 8 Thread processor.
I wouldn't recommend still buying a Quad core. Games now get optimized for more than 4 cores because of the current gen 8 core PlayStation and Xbox.
I would buy a used Ryzen 3600 or 3700x. (also still gives you a good upgrade path)

Hmm, even second hand this breaks the budget a bit, I'll definitely keep an eye out for a good deal on one.

Yeah wait for a good deal or maybe you can still wait until you got a little bit more money.

It would be a waste of money to spend the cash you have right now on a mediocre upgrade.

1 hour ago, Clamor_ said:

My question was if an upgrade to an i3-10105F would make sense, seeing as how it's got the same core and thread count but a higher base and boost clock, a

Having better clock speeds is always good, buts it's more of having the generational upgrades that is significantly better then previous gen. With that being said, I wouldn't consider previous gen, at least for intel unless you're getting it at a significantly reduced price compared to current gen.

55 minutes ago, djboy6480 said:

wouldn't recommend still buying a Quad core. Games now get optimized for more than 4 cores because of the current gen 8 core PlayStation and Xbox.

Not really. Multi core usage is hard to program so most games  more heavily rely on single core performance. That's why the 12100 is a great choice for budget gaming and the 12400 is even better. I'm not saying thats more cores is obsolete, but the 12100 will already be a significant improvement over a 6700.

58 minutes ago, djboy6480 said:

would buy a used Ryzen 3600 or 3700x. (also still gives you a good upgrade path)

Just because it has more cores dosent really mean it's better. Take for example the r5 5500. It's a hex core cpu sure, but that's really all it is. It perfroms terribly to a 12100 so it's a tough thing to reccommend since it's also more expensive than a 12100

11 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Not really. Multi core usage is hard to program so most games  more heavily rely on single core performance. That's why the 12100 is a great choice for budget gaming and the 12400 is even better. I'm not saying thats more cores is obsolete, but the 12100 will already be a significant improvement over a 6700.

Yeah of cause it is always depended on the workload and of cause single core performance is still important if it comes to gaming but you can be sure modern titles (even more so in the future) get optimized for 4+ cores. You can be sure a console running a current game doesn't have half its cores idling.

It is just a matter of how much work devs want put in to parallelization. Yes of cause you can't parallelize everything.

Also I don't think the CPU will be his bottleneck @60FPS Gaming with a 1660S

I have a Ryzen 3600 with a GTX1660 (overclocked) also with a 60Hz Monitor as my system right now.

So I have similar GPU Performance to you if you didn't overclock it and my CPU is basically never the bottleneck accept if I play City Skylines and have a large map but City Skylines is a notoriously CPU heavy title.