Cpu upgrade

lald3n

Hi, I currently run a 3080 ti suprim x with a r5 5600x with a b550 and ddr4 ram and I'm looking to upgrade the cpu, should I upgrade my motherboard and ram so that I can then upgrade to a ryzen 7000 series or should I try to pick up a 5800x3d and stick with the motherboard and ram i have now

You wouldn't be able to get a ryzen 7000 (they skipped 6000) motherboard that works with a 5600x nor would ddr5(now required on 7000) fit in a ddr4 board

1 minute ago, Modem56 said:

You wouldn't be able to get a ryzen 7000 (they skipped 6000) motherboard that works with a 5600x nor would ddr5(now required on 7000) fit in a ddr4 board

oh yeah i know the motherboard and ram would not work with my current cpu i was asking if the upgrade to the 7000 series would be more worthwhile than getting a 5800x3d 

(also thank you i didnt realise they'd skipped 6000 somehow lol) 

Why do you want to upgrade a 5600x?

So pointless homie

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

1 minute ago, HardStroke said:

Why do you want to upgrade a 5600x?

So pointless homie

it's bottlenecking with the graphics card i have now

2 minutes ago, lald3n said:

not work with my current cpu i was asking if the upgrade to the 7000 series would be more worthwhile than getting a 5800x3d 

I'd say probably, unless you can find a bargin deal on the 5800x3d, looking at next gen would be a better bet. Why are you trying to upgrade though? The 5600 is a perfectly fine cpu

Just now, lald3n said:

it's bottlenecking with the graphics card i have now

A 5600X wont bottleneck a 4090 homie

On 1080p there will always be a cpu bottleneck

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

Just now, Ryuikko said:

I'd say probably, unless you can find a bargin deal on the 5800x3d, looking at next gen would be a better bet. Why are you trying to upgrade though? The 5600 is a perfectly fine cpu

I've been having some issues with it bottlenecking recently which I've found quite infuriating 

The 5800x3d is the best bang for buck for gaming right now...

7000 isn't worth it with the price of these motherboards, DDR5, etc.

Might be more worth it if they release something like a 7800X3D down the line, with some cheaper motherboard options, but it'll give you so little benefit right now it really does feel a little pointless.

1 minute ago, lald3n said:

I've been having some issues with it bottlenecking recently which I've found quite infuriating 

I highly doubt that unless your running low res cpu intensive games 

Just now, Ryuikko said:

I highly doubt that unless your running low res cpu intensive games 

So recently in forza i was having issues with stutter and then a pop up saying I was having cpu performance issues 

4 minutes ago, lald3n said:

Are you absolutely sure it's a bottleneck?

You're jumping to the CPU being the problem awfully quickly.

Need more info. What games or programs are lacking in CPU performance?

Edit:

1 minute ago, lald3n said:

So recently in forza i was having issues with stutter

Which Forza? Motorsport? Horizon?

Edited by Bianks84

Just now, Bianks84 said:

Are you absolutely sure it's a bottleneck?

You're jumping to the CPU being the problem awfully quickly.

Need more info. What games or programs are lacking in CPU performance?

GTA5 and Forza 5 have both had issues with cpu performance.

Just now, lald3n said:

GTA V is a cpu intensive game

Forza not so much

overclock it

a new cpu is not worth the money

3 minutes ago, lald3n said:

Alright but have you ruled out thermal throttling? Also which B550?

What about memory (RAM)? Ryzen 5000 can be seriously held back if using slow memory and/or single-channel RAM.

3 minutes ago, lald3n said:

Forza 5

And again, which Forza?? We talking motorsport 5 or Horizon 5? Two very different games.

Edited by Bianks84

Just now, Bianks84 said:

What about memory (RAM)? Ryzen 5000 can be seriously held back if using slow memory and/or single-channel RAM.

msi b550 a pro, the ram is corsair vengeance 3200mhz i believe and I'm pretty sure thermals wise it should be fine as i have the 360mm nzxt cpu cooler 

1 minute ago, Bianks84 said:

And again, which Forza?? We talking motorsport 5 or Horizon 5? Two very different games.

forza horizon 5 sorry for lack of clarity 

4 minutes ago, lald3n said:

msi b550 a pro, the ram is corsair vengeance 3200mhz i believe and I'm pretty sure thermals wise it should be fine as i have the 360mm nzxt cpu cooler 

So you haven't checked thermals. I advise installing hwinfo64 and running it in the background while gaming for a bit and see what they look like.

You can also look at the CPU clock speed to see if it's throttling. I just built a buddy a PC with a 5600X and it maintained 4.3-4.5 GHz on most cores during a gaming load. Not the same games, but on a few CPU intensive games.

You need to dig a bit deeper.

Just to add:

I've been playing FH5 for a few months now and it's a bit heavier on the CPU than expected, but still no problem for my 3800X and 3080. Lowest FPS I get with MAX settings at 1440p is around 85-90.

I can't imagine the mere lack of two cores can cause worry.

I use msi afterburner to monitor cpu temps and it doesnt hit above 75 degrees celsius in extended gaming sessions 

4 minutes ago, Bianks84 said:

So you haven't checked thermals. I advise installing hwinfo64 and running it in the background while gaming for a bit and see what they look like.

You can also look at the CPU clock speed to see if it's throttling. I just built a buddy a PC with a 5600X and it maintained 4.3-4.5 GHz on most cores during a gaming load. Not the same games, but on a few CPU intensive games.

You need to dig a bit deeper.

Just to add:

I've been playing FH5 for a few months now and it's a bit heavier on the CPU than expected, but still no problem for my 3800X and 3080. Lowest FPS I get with MAX settings at 1440p is around 85-90.

I can't imagine the mere lack of two cores can cause worry.

yeah see ideally im looking to be sitting at 100hz (max frame rate of current monitor) at 1440p extreme preset, what ive noticed is that my msi 3080 ti suprim x seems to have no problems but the cpu is struggling to preform at that level 

Have you looked through game settings? It's not capped at 50 or something?

Is the CPU seeing 100% max usage consistently? Unless it is, the issue isn't the CPU.

I also know that watching a video in the background can sometimes use the GPU video decoder. If you turn off hardware acceleration in the browser you're using it'll put that load on the CPU instead. Try that if this is the case.

That's the end of my rope though, so best of luck.

1 minute ago, Bianks84 said:

Have you looked through game settings? It's not capped at 50 or something?

Is the CPU seeing 100% max usage consistently? Unless it is, the issue isn't the CPU.

I also know that watching a video in the background can sometimes use the GPU video decoder. If you turn off hardware acceleration in the browser you're using it'll put that load on the CPU instead. Try that if this is the case.

That's the end of my rope though, so best of luck.

thanks for your help 

42 minutes ago, lald3n said:

Hi, I currently run a 3080 ti suprim x with a r5 5600x with a b550 and ddr4 ram and I'm looking to upgrade the cpu, should I upgrade my motherboard and ram so that I can then upgrade to a ryzen 7000 series or should I try to pick up a 5800x3d and stick with the motherboard and ram i have now

get 12600k or 12700k to save moneh and if u dont gonna change ur gpu

30 minutes ago, lald3n said:

yes, it is, i would reccomend more cores for forza horizon 5 and higher freq for gta 5, so bassicly 7000 ryzens or 12/13 gen intel