Cloning PC to Laptop

Good Morning all,

So, I've got a PC at work Windows 11 pro, Ryzen system. Work have bought me a laptop and I am wondering whether it would cause an issue cloning my PC ssd to the laptop ssd so that my work PC can be repurposed.

The laptop I would be cloning to is an Asus Vivobook S15 i5-12500H running Windows 11 Home. Am I likely to run into any issues? Apart from the fact one is 11 pro and the other 11 home.

Is there a way to copy my user and files instead of the whole ssd?

Ryzen 9 7900X

Asrock X670E PG Lightning 

32GB G.Skill 6000mhz DDR5

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

You can't clone OS and use it on a different system that has different hardware, especially between a PC and a laptop. Even upgrading a motherboard on the same PC and keeping the same old OS causes issues. The drivers are completely different.

I actually have tried this, PC SSD to laptop and laptop SSD to PC, both causes immediate blue screen on startup. 

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

20 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

You can't clone OS and use it on a different system that has different hardware, especially between a PC and a laptop. Even upgrading a motherboard on the same PC and keeping the same old OS causes issues. The drivers are completely different.

I actually have tried this, PC SSD to laptop and laptop SSD to PC, both causes immediate blue screen on startup. 

Did this laptop to PC, coincidentally both AMD systems, still worked. Not impossible, but not recommended for vastly different systems.

21 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Advise taken on board.

I was looking at Laplink PC Mover, does anyone have any experience with it? I just don't want to manually transfer stuff over or have to re-install everything.

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

It's a bit hit and miss. Usually it works but you may run into issues. I use an ssd with windows that gets hooked up to different systems for testing, mostly it works.

Clonezilla is the go to cloning tool for me.

Usual method though if you're going to take it in use is to just do a clean install and indeed only move your user files / folders. You can hook up your old ssd to the new pc and copy the files to the fresh install.

22 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

It's a bit hit and miss. Usually it works but you may run into issues. I use an ssd with windows that gets hooked up to different systems for testing, mostly it works.

Clonezilla is the go to cloning tool for me.

Usual method though if you're going to take it in use is to just do a clean install and indeed only move your user files / folders. You can hook up your old ssd to the new pc and copy the files to the fresh install.

Thank you.

Does clonezilla copy everything or just the user and their data?

I was hoping to avoid manually installing or copying my files etc over as I have quite a lot on my work PC.

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

3 minutes ago, MrBaker89 said:

Thank you.

Does clonezilla copy everything or just the user and their data?

I was hoping to avoid manually installing or copying my files etc over as I have quite a lot on my work PC.

Everything, it makes an exact copy of the drive.

8 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

Everything, it makes an exact copy of the drive.

Thanks.

Think I'm going to go with Laplinks PC Mover as it seems you have the option to just copy the user and their data and apps without cloning the whole drive.

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU