Help for a family member

My uncle is needing to replace his old as hell laptop. He is going to be mainly using it for work, which is web surfing/emailing and sometimes loading up programs for his work which he said aren't super intensive. He obviously really doesn't need a super ballin laptop, but I would like to steer him towards something that will last him a bit. Maybe a Lenovo Thinkpad? Idk, i'm super dumb when it comes to laptops. And one more thing is he prefers Windows 7. So when I get it, i'll probably be loading up windows 7 on it, which I don't think changes anything. Just wanted to make sure.

Windows 7 isn't receiving security updates anymore. It shouldn't be on anything, especially not a work laptop.

HP and Dell make some very good mid-range laptops. A Thinkpad is probably the highest end laptop I would suggest for the use cases you mention, but they are fairly long lasting if that's a high priority.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

7 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Windows 7 isn't receiving security updates anymore. It shouldn't be on anything, especially not a work laptop.

HP and Dell make some very good mid-range laptops. A Thinkpad is probably the highest end laptop I would suggest for the use cases you mention, but they are fairly long lasting if that's a high priority.

Yeah lasting long is something I do want to take into account. And unfortunately my uncle is an old turd who doesn't like change. So even though I'm right there with you. I don't think he will be wanting to swap fully to windows 10.

1 minute ago, Beep or Boop said:

Yeah lasting long is something I do want to take into account. And unfortunately my uncle is an old turd who doesn't like change. So even though I'm right there with you. I don't think he will be wanting to swap fully to windows 10.

Thinkpad would be a good option, don't mess with success. My late father hated changing operating systems every time he got a new computer, he was an XP fanboy (rightly so, it was an elite OS) and he was determined that he could never ever understand windows 10 after he didn't like W8 coming from 7. That was 2015. He finally relented when his computer died in 2016 and it took him maybe 2 weeks before he was fully literate for everything he needed. Going from 7 to 10 is going to be pretty easy. Much easier than 7 to 8 or 8.1

Personally wouldn’t touch a thinkpad, I’ve used a model from pretty much every price point and they’ve all been poor 

1 hour ago, Beep or Boop said:

I don't think he will be wanting to swap fully to windows 10.

It doesn't matter that he doesn't want it, it's just flat out unsafe. Better switching to Windows 10 than losing his job when a ransomware attack through his laptop obliterates the company. You would not believe how often just a single piece of malware infiltrating through an insecure system causes a company to fold.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

10 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

It doesn't matter that he doesn't want it, it's just flat out unsafe. Better switching to Windows 10 than losing his job when a ransomware attack through his laptop obliterates the company. You would not believe how often just a single piece of malware infiltrating through an insecure system causes a company to fold.

He doesn't work for a company. He is a one man show, in a very niche work field. Like he is the only one doing the repairs in the country. But again I understand, will try and get him to change. But if I can't, I will be loading windows 7.