Ryzen 5800X3D or 7700X

maremp

Intended usage: mostly casual gaming (currently on 6800xt) at 1440p@144 and 4k TV, mix of AAA and indie titles.
Might do some productivity stuff but not a priority. 

Currently running i7-6700K so buying a new platform either way. 
Not into upgradability that much, probably will not want to upgrade in the next 3 years of the planned zen 4 support. 
Edit: Using NH-D15 cooler, plan to pass that on to the next build. Should be enough to cool either 7700X, 7600X or 5800X3D. 

I do not have a set budget, but I do not like overspending for things I do not need, so that’s why I’m not considering something absurd like a 7950X.

I was set on getting either 7600X or 7700X at launch, based on availability. 

But with the reviews out, I now have mixed feelings between the zen 4 and 5800X3D or just the 5800X. 

Other than the raw benchmark numbers and fps for select games as presented in the videos released today, what are the other things that push the argument towards one or the other cpu? 

4 minutes ago, maremp said:

Intended usage: mostly casual gaming (currently on 6800xt) at 1440p@144 and 4k TV, mix of AAA and indie titles.

Not into upgradability that much, probably will not want to upgrade in the next 3 years of the planned zen 4 support. 

I do not have a set budget, but I do not like overspending for things I do not need, so that’s why I’m not considering something absurd like a 7950X.

But with the reviews out, I now have mixed feelings between the zen 4 and 5800X3D or just the 5800X. 

Other than the raw benchmark numbers and fps for select games as presented in the videos released today, what are the other things that push the argument towards one or the other cpu? 

well, mostly the AM5 platform. If you ever want to upgrade after 4 years or so, you're not stuck with an old platform, and chances are there are even better AM5 chips available.

2 minutes ago, maremp said:

Simple, on am4 (you are not) 5800x3D

else am5, get whatever you want, zen4x3d comes out next quarter if you want that,
or just get something cheap today and get zen5x3d/zen6x3d  when those drop for am5. When am6 drops, any cpu on am5 will be cheap just like how all the 5xxx chips are cheap and you wont need to rebuild, just a really cheap swap. 

Price and availability are your main concerns then. My suggestion is to either get the 5800X as it's cheaper (and so are RAM, mainboards, etc) but the 3D chip has you playing games more smoothly for longer due to it's outstanding performance.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Wait a month and see how 13th gen compares.

If it's good, then that's an option and also would likely result in price drops for existing parts.

I'd only recommend buying now if you have nothing and are in need of a working system.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Am running a 6800k myself and was also going to upgrade to either AM5 or Intel 13th gen. 
Have no idea what will be the smart thing to do tbh, I would think the AM5 mobo will get longer lifespan than a LGA1700 Mobo. 

Mostly I just game (rtx 3080 @ 4K) on my desktop with some light productivity on the side.

Very much itching to pull the trigger on the AM5 today but maybe it's better to wait for 13th gen to drop. Would it even make a noticable "real life" difference if raptor lake is slightly faster?