Motherboard can't find M.2 SSD.

Hello guys! 

I'm currently helping a friend of mine building his first PC, and everything as been smooth sailing until we were about to install windows on that new bad boy, but the SSD isn't being detected by either the windows media installation tool or the bios itself. I've tried reseating the M.2 in case it wasn't properly seated, didn't help. Also read online that you could try to change the SATA Config from AHCI to IDE, but in the bios option I can only choose between ACHI or Raid.

I'm a bit out of ideas as to why it won't detect it.

Ryzen 7 5700x

Asus TUF A520 Plus Wifi

Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB

Everything is brand new aswell.

In the BIos, is CSM on or off?

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

Samsung 980 is a nvme M.2 drive it doesn't use SATA.

Leave the SATA settings on AHCI.

The M.2 connector is connected directly to the cpu, and supports pci-e, 4 lanes, so the SSD should work.

Look in device manager in Windows to see if it shows up.

Also make sure you are actually installing it properly, insert it in the m.2 connector at an angle, at around 30-45 degree, then gently press down on the other end of the ssd until the edge sits on the standoff and screw it to the standoff.