I can feel electricity through my PC case

EasonIDontKnowAnything

I've recently noticed that I can feel electricity through my PC case. It's not like I'm getting zapped, instead it's more a vibration? The reason this is so concerning to me is that it wasn't something that happened before.

I did do a quick search about this issue and found a couple reasons why this might be happening. Exposed wires was one, but I checked and there weren't any. The PC not being plugged into a grounded wall outlet is also cited as a possible cause, but I'm not sure that's the culprit since my PC is plugged into an extension cord which is plugged into a wall outlet (that I'm pretty sure is grounded?).

Would like to get some advice. I'm not exactly stacked. I can afford a new PSU if that's the issue, but only barely, so hopefully that isn't the issue here? Do I even have to be worried at all?

Specs:

i3-3220

6GB RAM

GTX 750Ti (4 pin)

256GB SSD

500GB HDD

CM MWE400W

If you live somewhere with sketchy power standards (including the US), it's entirely possible your outlet isn't grounded. My outlets at my old house were three-prong but the grounding pins weren't connected to anything; the house was old and didn't have grounding wires, so they just put useless three prong outlets on to get past inspection.

21 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

snip

What you're likely feeling is 1/2 mains voltage through from the class X (and possibly class Y, those go between live and earth) capacitor that ties the 0v DC ground to live mains to reduce back EMF and EMI and other issues. That suggests the earth on your PC chassis is not sufficient to bleed the roughly 60-120v AC ripple to ground. I'd suggest you double check the earthing/grounding of the case, and if needed run a dedicated wire to a earthing rod in the ground if it's that much of a concern.

ND_x-class_y-class_safety_figure2.jpg

Yours faithfully

26 minutes ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

but I'm not sure that's the culprit since my PC is plugged into an extension cord which is plugged into a wall outlet (that I'm pretty sure is grounded?).

Try plug in directly to the outlet or directly on a different outlet. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |