What is limiting my max speed?

Ragingsilver

Hi all,

I recently moved home and got myself a 1GB internet service from a new ISP. When I connect everything up to wi-fi, my speeds on my phone are around 500-600mbs which is ok for me since the router they provided me is a wi-fi 5 (AC) one. The issue stems to my desktop PC when going WIRED. My path is:

ONT > ISP router provided > power line (TP-Link TL-PA717 capable of 1GB) > My desktop PC

I have done the following:

- I resetted everything but the ONT so far

- I'm using CAT-7 ethernet cables

- The accompaning app for the powerline says it's receiving around 600-700mbs

- Looking at settings on windows, they all display 1GB receiving.

But my browsing is limiting my speeds to 150-170mbs whenever I do a speed test. Any help here?

Thanks in advance!

First step is to test without the powerline kit. Whiule it's techincally capable of 1Gbps, it is heavily dependant on the wiring in the house, the length of the wires, interference etc.

If you get the expected speeds connected directly, then the powerline kit is your limiting factor. Unfortunately there's not a huge amount you can do to address that issue as it's really subject to the wiring in your home.

Just a few things to note:

Cat 7 isn't a TIA recognised standard. It's very unlikely the cables you have comply with the IEC Cat 7 standard as they would require TERA or GG45 connectors. As such, I'd be immediately sceptical of anything advertised as Cat 7 as it's clear the maker doesn't care about actually complying with standards. I'd advise sticking to Cat 6 or 6a which are actually TIA standards.

You're mixing multiple units here. 1GB and 1Gb aren't the same thing. A 1GB internet connection would be 8Gbps. Networking stuff is almost always measured in bits (little "b").

Gross:  Powerline is basically never gonna give you 1gbps, sorry to say.

Last time I used that, they were 100mbps, and we were lucky to get 25 across them, even on "short" distances.

Hmm...

Powerline never gives what you think I have the same issue and I get around 80-150.  I ended up putting my modem in bridge mode, using an ASUS AC86U router, then ran a ethernet hardline to the upstairs for another AC86U and it uses the cable as a backhaul. Then I set the them up as a mesh network and can freely walk up and down while staying connected. You can then set the devices you want to the closest router and best wifi signal.

Just an FYI - something happened with browsers (or windows) lately and ALL browsers are reporting speeds poorly.  I run the speedtest ookla app on any of my devices and i get excellent speeds (>800+). I run off the ookla website OR other websites and I see download latency sky rocket from 1-5 seconds (5000 ms) and jump all around and my speed tanks to 90-150 down. Latest Edge, Chrome, Firefox browsers on up to date win 10 PC.

Quick note on the Cat 7 cables. Other posters are correct regarding connection ends, etc.  While places are selling Cat 7 cables, it is highly likely they are a hybrid Cat 6a cable but have the required shielding of Cat 7.  They are definitely a thicker cable with all the shielding.

Forgot to mention, you powerline is 1000gbps which is a max speed of 125MB/s.  Your browser should be reporting that and not 125mbs which is 14MB/s.  Then again if it is reporting that, then its really really slow indeed.

Edited by Hoffer69

Hmm, I think you guys may be right with the powerline kit not providing me with the speeds...

I might have to grab my old ethernet cable from my old place to test, that was a 10 meter length. I moved into a fairly new apartment building, approx 4yrs old. It's a small apartment but I ideally didn't want to have a long ethernet cable across my floor as the router is in the hallway storage room. My PC in the living room in the corner.

I might have to suck it up and get something like a mesh w-fi 6 router like an eero or something. I have an old asus router at my parents house but it was way too fancy and I hardly used any of the unique settings on it. Always had to manually update it.  I just wanted internet lol. 

Will wi-fi 6 or 6E be able to get me at least closer to the 1Gb goal?