Everyone said this was impossible - Backyard Fiber Run

jakkuh_t

I'm still hoping that someone at LMG releases the actual cost of the cable they are claiming to be under $1000.

I think it's a bit irresponsible to say under $1000, but based on the linked product it would cost over $5000 CAD. (Like it or not, if getting a product free, mentioning the company and their cables and making it out as if it's a cheap price by saying thinking it would be expensive and saying it was under $1000 is a clear sponsorship...if truly the cable that was linked was the cable that was provided then it really needs to be addressed given that the pricing is a 5x factor off).

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

• 2 weeks later...

The cost of the customization services was under $1000.  

When they asked how much it would cost they were likely only talking about the upcharge to have the cable ends and cable pulling harness added to the order.  

Someone got a bit confused between the discussion of total cost and the added cost of splicing on the ends and pulls added.  If the wire was supplied/sponsored, they didn't actually see a final invoice.  

That customization charge is over and above the cost of the bulk cable.  So yes, the TOTAL cost of the cable with the customization services added would likely be around $6500.  Which is fair.  

The other option, you pull the raw cable and hire a local structured wiring contractor to come in and fusion splice in the connectors after it is pulled and installed.  But that wouldn't fit with the DIY theme.

• 3 weeks later...

@jakkuh_t If you aren't keeping the cable would you be willing to sell it?  I could use it for a long run on our private property.

• 2 months later...

I was rewatching this video and saw this on the screen and all I can say it's lmao. Linus fought for months with against his fanbase by claiming that adblock is piracy, that he doesn't use it and then after a few months a company computer is showing with it installed and enabled.

The timestamp is: 26:19

mpv-shot0003.thumb.jpg.36715fc11c1f8beba10cd8dc03ed658f.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 9/23/2022 at 12:39 AM, wanderingfool2 said:

What does bother me though, infinite cables being effectively a sponsor and not getting an accurate pricing, or correcting it in the video, on the cable is pretty bad...and to be clear from what I can see it's quite a bit more expensive than what was stated (I know they have the official sponsor, but by many of the definitions of the laws around the world them providing you the cable makes them a sponsor).  @jakkuh_t any clarification on how much that cable actually would cost if purchasing?  In the video it was stated under $1000.  The cables linked in the description at 700 meters is over $5000CAD.

There are a few cables hovering around the $1/meter mark, but given they don't provide the $1/meter cables in black (and it's only 2 stranded ones), I doubt that it's the correct one.

Thought I'd mention that, as if you are talking about a sponsored product and how cheap a product is and making it out to be like it's a great deal then the statements better be accurate, and unless I'm missing something big the statements aren't accurate.

An old video; but still no response (despite having mentioned it a few times over the past year in a few different threads where others were tagged).

There is no excuse for stating a cable is that cheap when clearly it wasn't, or there was idealized pricing.  Given the cable linked though was $5000+ CAD; and there was a whole segment of the video that talked about how the pricing was under $1000.  Especially given that I mentioned this over a year ago, and have mentioned it a few times in other posts since then; with all it being ignored.

So @LMGcommunity @LinusTech response?

On 10/24/2023 at 12:18 PM, wanderingfool2 said:

An old video; but still no response (despite having mentioned it a few times over the past year in a few different threads where others were tagged).

There is no excuse for stating a cable is that cheap when clearly it wasn't, or there was idealized pricing.  Given the cable linked though was $5000+ CAD; and there was a whole segment of the video that talked about how the pricing was under $1000.  Especially given that I mentioned this over a year ago, and have mentioned it a few times in other posts since then; with all it being ignored.

So @LMGcommunity @LinusTech response?

Sorry for the delay on responding to this, it slipped under my radar. It's common for products sold "by the meter" to be vastly more expensive than bulk or as a long assembled cable, as they have to account for the handling cost of potentially selling it in increments as small as 1 meter. That would explain why when you looked at the cost of 700 meters of that cable it seemed so ridiculously expensive ($8.14 * 700m = ~$5700 CAD). I went ahead and reached out to InfiniteCables to get an updated retail price quote for the same assembly for you. This project kicked off back in April of 2022, and since then the cost of bulk cable that was used to assemble the cable from the video (Superior Essex brand) has skyrocketed - so much so that IC started manufacturing their own version of it. Even when comparing to their generic version, the cost of an assembly like this has increased an average of 35% since we we're quoted for the original.

Here's the quote they gave me at retail pricing today:

2,296ft - 700m custom 6-strand singlemode LC/LC, 18inch 2mm furcated break-out, outdoor LT armoured direct burial with 2x pulling eyes - $1,623.20 CAD retail

1,640ft - 500m custom 6-strand singlemode LC/LC, 18inch 2mm furcated break-out, outdoor LT armoured direct burial with 2x pulling eyes - $1,213.95 CAD retail

If you factor in the ~35% increase in cost, along with the average USD:CAD exchange rate in April of 2022 (1.2628 - according to Bank of Canada) that brings you to a approximate cost of ~$1202 CAD or ~$952 USD when we originally ordered the cable. I will admit, we didn't specify currency in the video, but we are typically always dealing in USD unless otherwise specified since the majority of our audience is in the US. In the video Linus specifically says "$700" before I clarify "under $1000" and that was because the pricing I shared with him a few months before the shoot was for a 500m cable, since we hadn't worked out the correct distance yet ($1213.95 CAD retail / 1.35 / 1.2628 = ~$714 USD). 

For some additional background, it's pretty rare that a cable like this would be purchased at retail pricing - most of their custom cable customers are registered resellers/installers who get a bit of a discount, bringing "usual" pricing down even further. Again, sorry for the delay on a response, and I hope this clears things up a bit!

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

• 4 months later...

Bringing this up because I sent an email asking in regards to bulk discounts/pricing and asked for pricing on a 445meter length and got a response...there is something seriously off with your stated pricing.  Specifically I got an email indicating 445meters would be $7.71/m, savings of ~40 cents/meter

On 10/25/2023 at 4:24 PM, jakkuh_t said:

It's common for products sold "by the meter" to be vastly more expensive than bulk or as a long assembled cable, as they have to account for the handling cost of potentially selling it in increments as small as 1 meter. That would explain why when you looked at the cost of 700 meters of that cable it seemed so ridiculously expensive ($8.14 * 700m = ~$5700 CAD). I went ahead and reached out to InfiniteCables to get an updated retail price quote for the same assembly for you. This project kicked off back in April of 2022, and since then the cost of bulk cable that was used to assemble the cable from the video (Superior Essex brand) has skyrocketed - so much so that IC started manufacturing their own version of it. Even when comparing to their generic version, the cost of an assembly like this has increased an average of 35% since we we're quoted for the original.

Here's the quote they gave me at retail pricing today:

2,296ft - 700m custom 6-strand singlemode LC/LC, 18inch 2mm furcated break-out, outdoor LT armoured direct burial with 2x pulling eyes - $1,623.20 CAD retail

1,640ft - 500m custom 6-strand singlemode LC/LC, 18inch 2mm furcated break-out, outdoor LT armoured direct burial with 2x pulling eyes - $1,213.95 CAD retail

My assumption at the moment is that the cable being represented as a product link is NOT the cable being used in the filming/one you quoted.

Which sort of brings me back to the, it's a bit irresponsible not to make sure all the ducks in a line [or that you guys weren't offered a preferential rate]

So I'll ask this directly, what is the exact model of the product you received and why was it misrepresented in your link to a product?

On 9/22/2022 at 3:00 PM, rcmaehl said:

LTT once again setting a bad example. Should have called 811 before they dig.

/

there is no 811 in canada lol

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!