My rant to Linus!

ionbasa

What @isobasa is saying makes sense, but...

They are batteries, calm down. The majority of people who uses batteries only care if they provide power to their device and how cheap they are. :P

... I have to agree with you. In Todays world if a battery doesn't offer the performance anymore we just replace it and do not care, even though it is bad for our planet.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

1. Memory effect is (for all intents and purposes) not an issue for consumers once they have received the product.

2. I didn't say storing in the fridge is a bad idea. I said storing in the freezer is a bad idea. Go double check.

3. My video was specifically about Lithium Ion batteries (0:25). I only briefly mentioned LiPo's, and I didn't mention any of the other Lithium type batteries.

Thanks for the post though.

1) Thanks for replying. Generally speaking the average day to day consumer shouldn't notice, but then again, take laptops for example, I have a toshiba laptop that was kept on a dock for about half a year, now the Li-Ion battery thinks that 0% is actually around 80% when it isn't. This is an everyday example of the memory effect, that happen to some consumers. The laptop isn't even that old, only about 1.5 yrs.

2) Yes, you did not say storing in the refrigerator was bad, but you had a condescending tone (imho), coupled with the fact that right afterwards you stated that freezing was bad in general. Not such a big deal but, someone else may have misunderstood this. (Linguistics is tricky sometimes...)

3) I know it was specifically about Li-Ion, but someone else mentioning both Li-polymer and NiMH. That was part of my reply to them

Overall thanks for reading through this, I hope it helped you understand something more about batteries.  :D

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Well, I do believe it also affects NiMH. NiMH does not have a "memory effect" in the traditional sense. What does happen in a NiMH battery is that one of the electrodes is "consumed". In doing so the metal will dissolve into solution resulting in metal ions. The only issue is that recharging the battery does not force the metal from an aqueous solution back to solid.

Technically it isn't a 'memory' issue, but the reverse reaction is not spontaneous enough to force the metal ions back into solid form on the electrodes.

But not being as spontaneous (higher gibbs free energy) only slows down the reaction rate but not the maximum endpoint of the reaction. This is in the short-term of course. It's probably not even noticeable. In the long term, the batteries will not hold enough charge which in the end depends on how many lifecycles it went through. This would not be memory effect but just long term use of the battery degrading it. 

It's about the Teckquickie video on battery care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBKuOomv9Ko

First of Lithium-ion batteries and Lithium-Polymer batteries do have a "memory effect". This has been tested and validated by Toyota.

In the video you say that storing unused batteries in a refrigerator isn't necessarily a good idea, as a matter of fact, it is a recommended procedure. But you are right on not freezing them, that is a terrible idea. All batteries work because of electrochemistry. Whether you are using the battery, or it is just sitting in its package, it is still producing electricity. Now if the temperature is lowered, the reaction inside a cell or battery can also be slowed down. This can be related to voltage through gibbs free energy by these two equations: E°=ΔG°/(nF) and ΔH = ΔG° + T ΔS

Rearranging we get this equation: E°=(ΔH- TΔS)/(nF)

The important parts of this equation is T, which is temperature in Kelvin, and E naught which is 'volts'. So the lower the temperature, the lower the cell potential, meaning the chemical reaction in the battery will slow down. 

Mini rant over, sorry...

Yes true... I haven't watched that video yet, but you are right... I studied this in detail in my Chemistry course LOL. HATE Gibbs Free Energy and the whole idea of spontaneity and all that :). It took me forever to understand.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz