Help with office/storage build

I recently had a break in at my small business, and think it's important for me to keep a better history of surveillance recordings. I currently have 16 cameras running 24/7 previously just used the cameras to watch in real time or hold a few days of recordings, so here's my plan:

Replace 1tb hdd in dvr with 3tb wd purple (maxed out)

My Q See DVR allows me to go the ip address of the dvr and download all video from a certain date range to a pc in normal video format, but I currently don't have a suitable computer. I have built a few computers for my own use in the past but nothing like this, here are my thoughts so far:

Eight 4tb WD Red drives, in RAID 6 running off of an intel or lsi raid controller

an extra wd red on hand if a drive fails

SSD boot drive

cooler master storm trooper case because I've built in it before and it has enough bays and won't move the hot air from the hard drives into the main part of the case (the case brings in air on one side, over the hdd's and exhausts out the other side of the case, near the front)

Asus Sabertooth z87 mobo

intel i5-4670

some type of solid PSU like a corsair AX series

molex to sata cables if needed for drives

8gb RAM

Then every week or so, I would download the security cam data from the DVR for longer term safekeeping on a computer that will give me easy access should I ever need to pull a recording up. The computer may not need a sabertooth board or an i5, but I'd like to have a nicer work computer as well for my office so this could kill two birds with one stone. I also considered a Drobo, but I'm concerned about a malfunction in the system itself. If something in a custom computer fails I can get parts and repair it fairly quickly, but if the drobo system failed, I would likely be down for a longer period of time.

What do you think?

That sounds like a good system for the things you want to do with it (store security video and use it as a workstation). 

I personally am not a fan of parity RAID, however the situation you plan on using it in (and that you plan on using HDDs with TLER) makes it sound like a good choice to me. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

get a Synology NAS with WD Purple drives for the cams. if you want live footage from all your cams, you want a VS240HD as well...

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

Live stream your camera's to twitch as a show, then daily save the streams to a "show archive".

Saves on disks YOU have to buy :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

>_> yeEEeaH

and pay 400 bucks a month for the upstream ;D

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

get a Synology NAS with WD Purple drives for the cams. if you want live footage from all your cams, you want a VS240HD as well...

it looks like my cameras are not on their compatible cameras list, thanks for the idea though, it sounds good

>_> yeEEeaH

and pay 400 bucks a month for the upstream ;D

N free DropBox, SkyDrive, Cubbie, etc. accounts. $0.00 but does cost time ;)

it looks like my cameras are not on their compatible cameras list, thanks for the idea though, it sounds good

What do you use now? Isn't there a generic record stream software? Thinking you can get away with reduced frame count and super compression, even an addon card that does that?

What do you use now? Isn't there a generic record stream software? Thinking you can get away with reduced frame count and super compression, even an addon card that does that?

now it's kind of a joke, I just have a 3tb wd blue in a revo dvr that can only offload media onto a usb thumb drive or a dvd, not exactly state of the art. What are you suggesting?

now it's kind of a joke, I just have a 3tb wd blue in a revo dvr that can only offload media onto a usb thumb drive or a dvd, not exactly state of the art. What are you suggesting?

If it works, how is it a joke? I'm not suggesting much only to see what is out there, I don't do any video storing so don't know much if the tech required but I have heard of some video compression cards (PCI/PCIe) that help store more per Gig. I'll have to re-dig up some info I have somewhere.

If it works, how is it a joke? I'm not suggesting much only to see what is out there, I don't do any video storing so don't know much if the tech required but I have heard of some video compression cards (PCI/PCIe) that help store more per Gig. I'll have to re-dig up some info I have somewhere.

I'm just saying I'd prefer a DVR supports offloading directly to a PC over Ethernet, and I currently don't have a computer to store that much data on, so the fact is I only have whatever is on the dvr at the time, which in hindsight is a bad idea and kind of a joke