GPU dead permanently ?

tautvydas

so yesterday booting up a game, my screen got covered in purple artifacts, everything else kept running fine, could hear the netflix playing on my other screen without any problems. so i restarted my pc it did update or something. after that booting into windows i got stuck at 800x600 or 640x320 or whatever resolution you get booted in, with green artifacts all over the screen (windows loading logo worked fine)

checked MSI afterburner, it was showing no GPU. what i find weird is that i get an video out when connected to the gpu, the fans are spinning etc etc i took out the card cleaned it, put it back in but same issue persisted.

right now i installed GT 9500 i had laying around and it seems to be working. is my other GPU toasted permanently, is it fixable somehow, should i take it to a repair shop or i shouldn't bother ( GTX 760 old gpu also but it was doing the work)

because if i need to get new gpu, that would mean i would need to get new powert supply and probably new monitors, so i'm looking for options

Look up what a used 760 costs (I found one for 30€ here), repair is likely more expensive, except if you privately know a guy or something like that. You can try to reinstall your drivers, but I'd guess it is a hardware failure because the other card is working fine, but since it's free it is worth a try. 

Definitely check out the used market if you want to save some money and don't really want to upgrade your PSU. Keep in mind if you don't buy high end cards the new cards from today will also just draw a similar amount of power. A 6600xt for example uses 1 8pin connector and is rated at 160W max, compared to the 170W of the gtx760, that's a lot better performance for even less power draw, it just got a more efficient architecture since it is newer.

Monitors are not really a factor here either, you can use new cards with your old monitors just fine. At most you would need a new cable or an adapter, if you are using some old connector with it.

Those purple dots are known as artifacting.  Repair is not normally a DIY affair.  There is an oven trick that occasionally works, but it is often temporary when it does.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

i almost always advise against the "oven trick", but the card is otherwise essentially worthless, it may be worth it if it actually buys you a little time. just be careful if you do. if it does work at all, it will be temporary, but a professional repair is definitely not worth the $.

1 hour ago, merco said:

Look up what a used 760 costs (I found one for 30€ here), repair is likely more expensive, except if you privately know a guy or something like that. You can try to reinstall your drivers, but I'd guess it is a hardware failure because the other card is working fine, but since it's free it is worth a try. 

Definitely check out the used market if you want to save some money and don't really want to upgrade your PSU. Keep in mind if you don't buy high end cards the new cards from today will also just draw a similar amount of power. A 6600xt for example uses 1 8pin connector and is rated at 160W max, compared to the 170W of the gtx760, that's a lot better performance for even less power draw, it just got a more efficient architecture since it is newer.

Monitors are not really a factor here either, you can use new cards with your old monitors just fine. At most you would need a new cable or an adapter, if you are using some old connector with it.

where i'm located prices dont seem to get the memo that prices should not be peak mining/covid scarcity high. i dont tink doing driver install would work since pc cant seem to identify that an gpu is installed in any way, my guess that my intel hd graphics were giving me an output signal trough the cables connected to the 760.

and for monitors i kinda will need to, since i use old tv/monitor combo that does not officially support HDMI PC input, and acts all wonkey, and other monitor is also a TV that i just use for watching movies. as far as iv seen most newer cards have only DP or HDMI ports.

guess i'll see whats out there, was planning on upgrading to RTX 3070/ti, when 4000 series come out if prices come down, but there is still quite some time i will need to wait, perhaps i i will find something that i can fit in my old 520W psu

1 hour ago, bmx6454 said:

i almost always advise against the "oven trick", but the card is otherwise essentially worthless, it may be worth it if it actually buys you a little time. just be careful if you do. if it does work at all, it will be temporary, but a professional repair is definitely not worth the $.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Those purple dots are known as artifacting.  Repair is not normally a DIY affair.  There is an oven trick that occasionally works, but it is often temporary when it does.

never liked this option, wont even try it since its an old blower style gpu that is basically all plastic except one side and id rather not have also burning plastic smell 😄 guess i'll look around if anything pops up, but been looking at the listings for a while now and nothing nice from where i'm from unfortunately

I would also not use the oven trick, it can potentially ruin your oven with toxic fumes. 

No disagreement.  Had to be mentioned because of the nature of the question though.  It’s ewaste.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.