First Epyc build. Need advice.

Go to solution Solved by OddOod,

The RAM should work, but you will only be in dual channel so you'll be leaving performance on the table

Hi there,

currently I am planning my first Epyc build.
I want to get the Epyc 7443P.

Here are the components I have choosen:
Supermicro H12SSL-CT
2x I went with 4x now Micron RDIMM 32GB, DDR4-3200, CL22-22-22, reg ECC (MTA18ASF4G72PDZ-3G2E1R)

For now I want to go with 2x 32GB modules and get more later.
Will this RAM work fine with the motherboard?
I am currently not so familiar with server builds.

Anyway, I want to have more PCIe lanes, ECC, flexibility and the remote management.
It will be a nice addition to my home network, since I have upgraded to 10GbE.
I plan to run unRAID or something else. Maybe Windows Server 2022 Datacenter. I have not decided yet.
Especially the higher boost frequency is important for me, I want to do some Gaming, too.
My usual workload will be: Running VMs, programming, compiling, rendering (Blender), Photoshop, etc...

My current hardware:
Ryzen Threadripper 1900X
AMD Radeon Pro W5700 8GB (will go in the new build)
MSI X399 Carbon Gaming AC
8x 16GB (running at 2666 MHz)
A couple of M.2 NVMe and S-ATA SSDs (will go in the new build)
Seasonic FOCUS GX-850 80+ Gold (will go in the new build)
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (will go in the new build)
Mellanox ConnectX-3 (will go in the new build)

Thank you in advance.

The RAM should work, but you will only be in dual channel so you'll be leaving performance on the table

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Well, unfortnuately that is not possible, since it is the first generation x399 platform and only compatible with 2nd gen Threadripper.

I cannot get one of that generation for a reasonable amount of money.

12 minutes ago, brandmeister said:

Well, unfortnuately that is not possible, since it is the first generation x399 platform and only compatible with 2nd gen Threadripper.

I cannot get one of that generation for a reasonable amount of money.

Right, WRX chipset.

Well, you can still build that instead. It would be just as good, if not better.

• 1 month later...

How did this build go.  I'm having a 7313p arriving tomorrow for my workstation.  This will replace my 1950X as that becomes solely a NAS.  Specs are very similar only using a RX 6800XT as graphics card and have 128 Gigs in quad channel configuration (only 2666Mhz though). Can't wait to see the performance uplift this hopefully brings as Threadripper Pro is just becoming too expensive and out of reach for me.

• 3 months later...

Honestly it went very smooth. I am really satisfied with the build and the performance and stability are exceptional. With only 4 DIMMs it is already running great. I had problems with my GPU W5700 and Windows was just crashing after several minutes or hours, never experienced such a problem and in my brothers rig it is working fine. I had to switch to the RX6600 and now it is running without any problems.