Normal Temps For Ryzen 7 5800X?

I've heard the 5800X runs hot, but just how hot is to be expected?

I have one under a Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 in a Phanteks P300. After a 20-minute Prime95 run (yes, I know, it's not a perfect test) the CCD temps seemed quite high (max was 84.8°C). I found this especially odd given that the cores hit max temps in the mid 70s. Is the CCD always hotter than the other sensors?

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

6 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

I've heard the 5800X runs hot, but just how hot is to be expected?

I have one under a Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 in a Phanteks P300. After a 20-minute Prime95 run (yes, I know, it's not a perfect test) the CCD temps seemed quite high (max was 84.8°C). I found this especially odd given that the cores hit max temps in the mid 70s. Is the CCD always hotter than the other sensors?

What are you using for temperature monitoring? (It should be HWiNFO64) 84c isn't too hot at all for Ryzen 5000, assuming you're hitting the boost clocks you expect to be hitting and therefore the performance. 

Run a Cinebench R23 multicore test and report the score.

5800X / 5900X / 5950X are all rated safe to 90C under full load, the 5600X is rated to 95C full load. But case, cooler, fans, GPU, and even the board can make a difference.

I run a 5900X on an Asus Tuf B550-PLUS board, with PBO enabled, running an OC RTX3060ti. I use a Scythe Mugen 5 with six LL120s on a Corsair Commander in a Fractal Pop XL Air case, and my temps are 38C-43C idle, 57C-65C light to moderate loads, 70-78C peak under hard load.

Tips: Liquid cooling is not required, but if you go that route, do NOT get a solid front case for an AIO.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

5800X / 5900X / 5950X are all rated safe to 90C under full load, the 5600X is rated to 95C full load.

However, I air-cool a 5900X and see 38C-43C idle, 57C-65C light to moderate loads, 70-78C peak under hard load, and that's with PBO enabled and running an OC RTX3060ti. But case, cooler, fans, GPU, and even the board can make a difference. I use a Scythe Mugen 5 with six LL120s on a Corsair Commander in a Fractal Pop XL Air case, on an Asus Tuf B550-PLUS board.

Tips: Liquid cooling is not required, but if you go that route, do NOT get a solid front case for an AIO.

I wonder. How many times have you typed out your whole setup to someone here? 🤣

57 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I wonder. How many times have you typed out your whole setup to someone here? 🤣

That's partially because most people don't bother looking at profile specs and want to play twenty questions across twenty threads instead. I'm more of a one-and-done sort. Of course, if we were allowed images in our sigs.... But that would be too simple, right? Also, having autism inherently means I overexplain initially to avoid being misunderstood later... A catch-22 of sorts, you tend to explain why you know what you know, especially with so many second-guessing those they ask for advice these days.

But also, as I stated, case, fans, cooler, etc., all can be factors in cooling efficiency, and with so many different options for customizing a setup, it's good to know how others made their setup work the way it does.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

22 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

What are you using for temperature monitoring? (It should be HWiNFO64) 84c isn't too hot at all for Ryzen 5000, assuming you're hitting the boost clocks you expect to be hitting and therefore the performance. 

Run a Cinebench R23 multicore test and report the score.

The score from Cinebench was 15230.

The CCD and CPU package were roughly 90 degrees the whole time with the cores in the 85-90 range. Clocks still seemed decently high though and it pulled around 135 watts the whole time. I'm just not used to having a CPU that runs this hot, even if it technically is within spec, so I was wondering if I had done something wrong.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

6 minutes ago, Computernaut said:

The score from Cinebench was 15230.

The CCD and CPU package were roughly 90 degrees the whole time with the cores in the 85-90 range. Clocks still seemed decently high though and it pulled around 135 watts the whole time. I'm just not used to having a CPU that runs this hot, even if it technically is within spec, so I was wondering if I had done something wrong.

For that basic cooler, that sounds about right. You're safe and that Cinebench score is about what i'd expect from a stock 5800x. To bring temps down you'd need to start looking into PBO and Curve Optimizer which is basically fancy undervolting introduced with Zen 3 (Ryzen 3000). I would have suggested a more appropriate cooler (AK620, FUMA2, PA120) as well. 

Or, just leave and use the PC. 

Robert Hallock - Director of Technical Marketing AMD:

Yes. I want to be clear with everyone that AMD views temps up to 90C (5800X/5900X/5950X) and 95C (5600X) as typical and by design for full load conditions. Having a higher maximum temperature supported by the silicon and firmware allows the CPU to pursue higher and longer boost performance before the algorithm pulls back for thermal reasons. Is it the same as Zen 2 or our competitor? No. But that doesn't mean something is "wrong." These parts are running exactly as-designed, producing the performance results we intend.

unknown.png

Something to also keep in mind this is max/full load examples if you are using a PC with a 5800x its still gonna be hot but its gonna be like A LOT less than these full load estimations. 

I run a 5800x with a 360 AIO EVGA and I struggle with most gaming at 1440P with 120 to 144 FPS I rarely get above 34C's 

A lot of benchmarks are using the CPU at its maximium if your just gaming or using mostly light loads the CPU barely will heat up. Where the 5800x might start heat creeping as I call it is if your doing MASSIVE like benchmarks with overclocks and or large scale rendering. 

But for like general video gaming and streaming this is honestly that perfect spot of performance to like space heater tbh. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.