Network issues on I225-V (3)

TimDario55

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to fix the network connection on my motherboard, a B550-F Gaming from ASUS, as it works sometimes but other times there is no connection down but connection up. I have seen issues with this chip before so does anyone know if it was fixed or if there was a way to fix it?

Thanks

(Also I have tried updating and downgrading drivers to no avail and also updating the BIOS)

30 minutes ago, TimDario55 said:

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to fix the network connection on my motherboard, a B550-F Gaming from ASUS, as it works sometimes but other times there is no connection down but connection up. I have seen issues with this chip before so does anyone know if it was fixed or if there was a way to fix it?

Thanks

(Also I have tried updating and downgrading drivers to no avail and also updating the BIOS)

The problem is it’s currently unknown if you have a software or hardware problem.  If it’s a hardware problem it could be very difficult to diagnose.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

What do you have it connected too?  a 1gbit switch?   you could try a different cable, change the port to 1gbit full instead of "auto".

Depending on where you live, expansion 1gbit PCIE Cards or usb 1gbit network adapters are fairly cheap if you suspect a defective port, could always try another NIC.

7 minutes ago, Allan B said:

What do you have it connected too?  a 1gbit switch?   you could try a different cable, change the port to 1gbit full instead of "auto".

Depending on where you live, expansion 1gbit PCIE Cards or usb 1gbit network adapters are fairly cheap if you suspect a defective port, could always try another NIC.

Throwing a nic (a pcie card or m.2 e key or usb dongle that does either wifi or ethernet or whatever you are using) if you’ve got both you can just try the other and see if it works. If you don’t have such a thing it may cost money though. If it’s a software problem it also may not help.  If there’s one lying around though it’s a great idea.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 hours ago, TimDario55 said:

Hi,

Thanks

I have the same motherboard, and it's happened to me. To fix it, turn off your PC and unplug the PSU. Hold onto the the power button for a few 10-15 seconds. (I usually hold it down for 30 seconds) and then let go. The reconnect the PSU and turn on your PC.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

10 hours ago, TimDario55 said:

I have seen issues with this chip before so does anyone know if it was fixed or if there was a way to fix it?

1. Which version of Windows?
  2. Which revision of the Intel I-225V?

1 I am using windows 10 Home 32Bit

2 I think it is the 3rd revision but I may be wrong

Also I know that this cable does work as it worked flawlessly for a year on an older Gigabyte Motherboard. As to what is it connected to I know its a switch of some kind but I am not 100% sure what one it is and how it's configured, the computer used to be directly connected to a secondary router then the router was connected to the switch, but the router died and the computer is just connected directly to the switch.

9 hours ago, Sir Asvald said:

I have the same motherboard, and it's happened to me. To fix it, turn off your PC and unplug the PSU. Hold onto the the power button for a few 10-15 seconds. (I usually hold it down for 30 seconds) and then let go. The reconnect the PSU and turn on your PC.

I have tried this but the issue continues to return, but this could just be there being a different revision of the motherboard.

Thanks

Why are you using 32bit? It’s only for really old stuff that can’t do 64bit. Stuff which wouldn’t even fit in a b550 motherboard.  It’s got all kinds of problems one of which is it can’t reference items larger than 4gb, or half the size of a gimme usb stick. Sure in a lot of ways it’s half the size of 64bit, and it’s more efficient with the stuff it’s got, but there was a reason basically everything is 64 bit now and apple won’t even support it anymore.  Unless there’s a part of your system that’s old enough to drink it buys you nothing and causes massive issues. 

Edited by Bombastinator

3 hours ago, TimDario55 said:

2 I think it is the 3rd revision but I may be wrong

If your motherboard is on this list, it likely has an Intel adapter that is problematic.

Check the hardware information to find out for sure if you have the B3 stepping. It seems that some people still have issues on B3 while others don't.

If I were you, I'd just get another ethernet adapter (PCIe or USB3) without this issue, so as to not worry about this again.

21 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

If your motherboard is on this list, it likely has an Intel adapter that is problematic.

Check the hardware information to find out for sure if you have the B3 stepping. It seems that some people still have issues on B3 while others don't.

If I were you, I'd just get another ethernet adapter (PCIe or USB3) without this issue, so as to not worry about this again.

I'd be curious if a PCIe slot version of the B3 still has the same issue, so far its all been people with it on the motherboard having issues.  Possibly just because that's where most people get the NIC, but maybe there is some implementation difference too?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

The first step is always to see if it is a software or hardware issue. Therefore, I would first and foremost advise the following step.

You can try a Live session from a Linux distro, or possibly a Live session from GhostBSD is going to be as easy as testing a Linux system.

In my experience, BSD systems are faster in CSS and JavaScript and network latency than Windows and Linux systems. 

I've been comparing FreeBSD's JetStream 2.0 performance against windows11 and some Linux systems over the last few days, these were the results on the R5 PRO 3400G quad core @3.7GHz:

windows11 + Chrome: 117.022
windows11 + Edge: 126.426
Lubuntu or Fedora + Chrome on the first try: +- 104
Lubuntu or Fedora + Chrome on the second try: +- 132.89
Solus + Brave on the first try: 127.746
Solus + Brave on the second try: 140.095
GhostBSD + Brave on the first try: 132.638
GhostBSD + Brave on the second try: 149.107

OS: FreeBSD 13.3  WM: bspwm  Hardware: Intel 12600KF -- Kingston dual-channel CL36 @6200 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB

I'll give a different os a try, also when I said 32bit I meant 64 just said the wrong thing. And I will start looking into a PCI-E Nic for my PC.

Thanks for your help!

5 minutes ago, TimDario55 said:

I'll give a different os a try, also when I said 32bit I meant 64 just said the wrong thing. And I will start looking into a PCI-E Nic for my PC.

Thanks for your help!

Ah.  Then it’s not important.  As long as it’s something 64 bit it isn’t an issue.  Come to think of it I’m not totally sure there even is a 32 bit version of win10 let alone win11. There was for 7 and I think 8.  I don’t know about 10 or 11 though.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah.  Then it’s not important.  As long as it’s something 64 bit it isn’t an issue.  Come to think of it I’m not totally sure there even is a 32 bit version of win10 let alone win11. There was for 7 and I think 8.  I don’t know about 10 or 11 though.

There definitely is for 10, I just replaced the OS on my old ASUS T100 from 10 32bit to Linux 64bit.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

There definitely is for 10, I just replaced the OS on my old ASUS T100 from 10 32bit to Linux 64bit.

They didn’t do a 32 bit for 11 did they?! Weird choice with all those tpm requirements if they did.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

They didn’t do a 32 bit for 11 did they?! Weird choice with all those tpm requirements if they did.

Yeah they were definitely hoping to reduce their compatibility testing burden.

I fear once Windows 10 stops being updated, were going to have a huge increase in compromised machines.  I have a friend who has several laptops he bought used due to lack of cash, they do everything he needs but wont be supported.  Trying my best to get him to switch to Linux but some of his software will be a problem.

5 hours ago, TimDario55 said:

Thanks for your help!

Would you be willing to risk an i225 B3 PCIe card?  I think were all curious at this point if it will have the same issue as the on-board.  Problem is, the other option is Realtek which generally have more CPU load, so a working i225 really is the best option.

I should probably test the i225 in my desktop, not bothered as I have an AQC107 2.5/5/10Gbit card in there.

28 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yeah they were definitely hoping to reduce their compatibility testing burden.

I fear once Windows 10 stops being updated, were going to have a huge increase in compromised machines.  I have a friend who has several laptops he bought used due to lack of cash, they do everything he needs but wont be supported.  Trying my best to get him to switch to Linux but some of his software will be a problem.

Would you be willing to risk an i225 B3 PCIe card?  I think were all curious at this point if it will have the same issue as the on-board.  Problem is, the other option is Realtek which generally have more CPU load, so a working i225 really is the best option.

I should probably test the i225 in my desktop, not bothered as I have an AQC107 2.5/5/10Gbit card in there.

It’s a long ways away, but Moore’s law is slowing despite the big jumps we’re seeing.  It will eventually stop without a massive change in basic stuff.  At which point the tall ships model will take over and you’ll have 100 year old stuff that’s as fast as new.  Sometimes faster.  There may still be useful or merely unupdatable machines around when that day comes.  Microsoft is likely going to have to extend the amount of time they support 10 to get old old machines well and truly obsolete or there will be scary problems.  I’ve got a thing from 2014 that still plays modern games fine but can’t be usefullly updated to 11.   It’s got to be near worthless by the time 10 goes away or what you say will come to pass I think.

Edited by Bombastinator