My omen by hp laptop 17-ck1000 has a black screen and won't turn on

TheArbitersShadow

The laptop has a light next to the charger socket , and the power button will light up for 2-4 second and then turn off. I have tried turning it off and on
again. Can provide video if needed. Please, I know this might be difficult but, I need it for classes any help would be appreciated.

35 minutes ago, TheArbitersShadow said:

The laptop has a light next to the charger socket , and the power button will light up for 2-4 second and then turn off. I have tried turning it off and on
again. Can provide video if needed. Please, I know this might be difficult but, I need it for classes any help would be appreciated.

So no power? No post? Just no video?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So no power? No post? Just no video?

The laptop gives off power, but it does not post and there is no video on the laptop display and a monitor display. The power button lights up for 2-4 seconds when you press it and then it turns off. When you plug it in, a light turns on next to the charging port on the laptop.

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

Usually that's an indication of not enough power. Are you using the charger it came with?

Yes, I am. I can provide a pic if needed.

1 hour ago, TheArbitersShadow said:

The laptop gives off power, but it does not post and there is no video on the laptop display and a monitor display. The power button lights up for 2-4 seconds when you press it and then it turns off. When you plug it in, a light turns on next to the charging port on the laptop.

So by “give off power” you mean you can charge things with it?  With no post there should be a post code.  A series of beeps or some lights on the motherboard or something.  That post code would be useful.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So by “give off power” you mean you can charge things with it?  With no post there should be a post code.  A series of beeps or some lights on the motherboard or something.  That post code would be useful.

What I mean by it giving off power is that if I plug my keyboard or mouse in the laptop, they light up. It is a laptop, do you mean I should try looking at the motherboard from outside the laptop?

1 minute ago, TheArbitersShadow said:

What I mean by it giving off power is that if I plug my keyboard or mouse in the laptop, they light up. It is a laptop, do you mean I should try looking at the motherboard from outside the laptop?

No.  You’d probably have to open it if lights are even there.  Argh.  There has to be a way for post codes to work.  My first thought is beep codes.  They could possibly have gone with a digital readout that is visible from outside the machine. That’s normally a premium feature but it’s not impossible.  The manual may say something about this.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

No.  You’d probably have to open it if lights are even there.  Argh.  There has to be a way for post codes to work.  My first thought is beep codes.  They could possibly have gone with a digital readout that is visible from outside the machine. That’s normally a premium feature but it’s not impossible.  The manual may say something about this.

A manual like this? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

12 minutes ago, TheArbitersShadow said:

A manual like this? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

That’s not the manual.  That’s the “get started” guide.  Manual should be about 8times thicker. One should be available online.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s not the manual.  That’s the “get started” guide.  Manual should be about 8times thicker. One should be available online.

I found a manual online that matches my laptop, and I took the bottom off.(using the instructions from the Manual, don’t worry) where would the code been?

image.jpg

Edited by TheArbitersShadow

If they’re lights they would be little square things and very hard to find.  My best guess is right up against the main heat sink near the wifi card.  I can say I don’t see a digital readout.  There would be a section of the manual called “trouble shooting” or something. 

If they’re lights they would be little square things and very hard to find.  My best guess is right up against the main heat sink near the wifi card.  I can say I don’t see a digital readout.  There would be a section of the manual called “trouble shooting” or something. 

I am probably just gonna send it in to HP and have them repair it. I probably will send it around Thursday, but if anyone thinks up anything, let me know on this post. 

9 minutes ago, TheArbitersShadow said:

I am probably just gonna send it in to HP and have them repair it. I probably will send it around Thursday, but if anyone thinks up anything, let me know on this post. 

That works.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That works.

I also took it to a repair shop and got it inspected. They said it was most likely the battery, but the power button light shows up for a shorter amount of time now. No idea if anything has changed.

14 minutes ago, TheArbitersShadow said:

I also took it to a repair shop and got it inspected. They said it was most likely the battery, but the power button light shows up for a shorter amount of time now. No idea if anything has changed.

I found something weird, when I press the power button it lights up my keyboard, but when I press it again, it turns of for a couple seconds and then powers back on.

The problem is all laptops are by definition OEM prebuilts  and they have a lot more freedom to do weird things. If a device is over a year old “it’s the battery” is the knee jerk reaction. Often it is right.  Weird things start happening when some things have enough voltage to work but others don’t.  Did they replace the battery?

Edited by Bombastinator

The problem is all laptops are by definition pwm prebuilts and they have a lot more freedom to do weird things. If a device is over a year old “it’s the battery” is the knee jerk reaction. Often it is right.  Weird things start happening when some things have enough voltage to work but others don’t.  Did they replace the battery?

I know with my switch, the battery was so dead (6 months of dead battery) that it wouldn't even recognize a charger being present until it was plugged in for about 5 minutes. So dead batteries sitting for a very long time malfunctioning IS a thing.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The problem is all laptops are by definition pwm prebuilts and they have a lot more freedom to do weird things. If a device is over a year old “it’s the battery” is the knee jerk reaction. Often it is right.  Weird things start happening when some things have enough voltage to work but others don’t.  Did they replace the battery?

I just got it looked at, they said it would have taken a week for them to take a in depth look at it.

2 minutes ago, TheArbitersShadow said:

I just got it looked at, they said it would have taken a week for them to take a in depth look at it.

Sounds about right.  Everyone is short staffed right now. Did they replace the battery?  

Edited by Bombastinator

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds about right.  Everyone is short staffed right now. Did they replace the battery?  

No, they didn’t replace it, it was a free 10-15 minutes inspection of the laptop.

55 minutes ago, TheArbitersShadow said:

No, they didn’t replace it, it was a free 10-15 minutes inspection of the laptop.

Did they test the battery?  The way to do that is fill the thing to the top and see how many milliamperes it holds and what the voltage is. It is helpful but not absolutely required to also drain it all the way and find out how many milliamperes are left. This can tell you the general battery health and sometimes whether it is a counterfeit or not.  The best way to do that is graph the use/voltage but it requires expensive equipment. You do NOT want a counterfeit battery.  They are often quite dangerous.  This often means that the only place to get a battery is the manufacturer.  eBay and Amazon are horrible places to get batteries.

Edited by Bombastinator

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Did they test the battery?  The way to do that is fill the thing to the top and see how many milliamperes it holds.  It is helpful but not absolutely required to also drain it all the way and find out how many milliamperes are left. This can tell you the general battery health and sometimes whether it is a counterfeit or not.  The best way to do that is graph the use/voltage but it requires expensive equipment. You do NOT want a counterfeit battery.  They are often quite dangerous.  This often means that the only place to get a battery is the manufacturer.  eBay and Amazon are horrible places to get batteries.

I don’t think the tested it, it was a one-off thing I think.

15 minutes ago, TheArbitersShadow said:

I don’t think the tested it, it was a one-off thing I think.

Then you can if you’ve got a multimeter.  Or if the battery is old enough and cheap enough just replace it out of hand.  Kind of a die roll because if it turns out it’s a non warranty replacement motherboard the machine is a lot like a totaled car.  Cheaper to get a new one.  Of course if the battery is under warranty it’s free if you send it in 🐹

34 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Then you can if you’ve got a multimeter.  Or if the battery is old enough and cheap enough just replace it out of hand.  Kind of a die roll because if it turns out it’s a non warranty replacement motherboard the machine is a lot like a totaled car.  Cheaper to get a new one.  Of course if the battery is under warranty it’s free if you send it in 🐹

Agreed, test with multimeter if possible. Sometimes the battery will not even accept a charge if it is below a certain voltage. @TheArbitersShadow you likely will need to contact HP directly for a replacement that is a guaranteed genuine part. Good news is that since it appears to be brand new and defective, they may be able to overnight you a replacement. Tried looking using the battery part number with their authorized resellers and none are available to help a non-business currently, not does HP offer direct buying of this specific battery (likely because it's a brand new model). HP live chat (not messenger!)  is where I've had the best track record and where I e found the most help, so I'd recommend that. Be assertive but kind and they will give you the world in my experience.